Starting my journey...Locust Hill Farms in the Piedmont of Northern VA

Got tired or sweating my arse off finishing up some fencing so I took a break and checked some cameras. Summer mix next to some corn looks real good minus a little heavy on the milo.

IMG_1354-XL.jpg

Close up of the LabLab, buckwheat and Cowpeas down low.

IMG_1356-XL.jpg

Got tired or sweating my arse off finishing up some fencing so I took a break and checked some cameras. Summer mix next to some corn looks real good minus a little heavy on the milo.

IMG_1354-XL.jpg

Close up of the LabLab, buckwheat and Cowpeas down low.

IMG_1356-XL.jpg

That looks really good. I planted a small area with some milo, cowpeas and buckwheat this year. This is my first time planting milo, so I'm not sure if the deer here will eat it or not. They are very picky on my place. Do they hit it pretty well for you?

That looks really good. I planted a small area with some milo, cowpeas and buckwheat this year. This is my first time planting milo, so I'm not sure if the deer here will eat it or not. They are very picky on my place. Do they hit it pretty well for you?
They will after a good frost on it. Don’t know if I’m going to let it go to seed or not. Since it’s thick I might just let it roll and broadcast some seed into it early Fall.

Last edited:
They will after a good front on it. Don’t know if I’m going to let it go to seed or not. Since it’s thick I lift just let it roll and broadcast some seed into it early Fall.

Yes, that would be a good plan too. My deer eat red clover and chicory better than anything I've seen, and that feeds them very well in the summer and the fall. I really can get by without summer plots, because I have neighbors who put out a lot of soybeans. But, it's important to cover the spring and early summer before the beans are planted. The clover and chicory does a good job at that too.

Yes, that would be a good plan too. My deer eat red clover and chicory better than anything I've seen, and that feeds them very well in the summer and the fall. I really can get by without summer plots, because I have neighbors who put out a lot of soybeans. But, it's important to cover the spring and early summer before the beans are planted. The clover and chicory does a good job at that too.

I'm a big fan of clover for sure! I'd show some photos of those plots but as hot and dry as we have been they look pretty so so right now. That will change soon enough!

Couple of mystery bucks here. First one looks similar to a buck we called the Skinny 10 last year but he disappeared right before velvet shed and no one (not even the neighbors) had a confirmed sighting of him.
IMG_0219-4K.jpg

This buck didn't give me much to work with as far as photos go but he seems familiar to me. Need to go back and look at last year's photos but didn't jump right out and ring a bell.

IMG_0185-X5.jpg
IMG_0186-X5.jpg

Around here, deer typically nail milo right when it reaches that doughie stage after first heading out. Unless you have a BIG plot of it down here, it never makes it to maturity.

Had to do my “day job” work this morning. Ran quite of few fawns and does out of it and a few young bucks. Sudangrass that I’ll bale and wrap for wet hay.

IMG_1379-L.jpg

Moved some weaned calves off a Pearl Millet/Cow Pea mix onto a Sudangrass/LabLab/Cow Pea mix. They did a great job on the first pasture as you can tell.

IMG_1377-L.jpg

Pulled a card that’s hard to get to since I was nearby and have a mystery buck possibly. Might be a nice 4.5 YO that used this area last year but this guy won’t come close to the camera yet hence the terrible photo. Milo is getting too tall so this spot is going to be hard to get photos at moving forward.

IMG_1375-L.jpg

Back