Southeastern plotters.....

David

Native hunters thread got me thinking......With highs in the mid 80's and plenty of rain forcasted for the next 2 weeks anyone moving up their brassica plantings on the calender?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No brassicas for me right now. But I'm really looking forward to the rain. Last weekend I overseeded my two 0.4 acre clover/chicory plots with browntop millet to set them up for dove hunts in September (season opens Sept. 1st. in my area). I'll mow them in the last week of August to get them set up for doves, then do a spray/throw/roll with wheat, clover, radish and chicory in late September.

No. I'm rather much a calendar planter, give or take. It's not that I don't do crazy stuff, it's just that when I do crazy stuff there are reasons and the hope for continued rain which is hiding the scorching sun isn't crazy enough for me. I once invested $30-thousand in a stock and turned it into $75-thousand in six weeks. The risks were immense! I was really happy until it turned "hot and dry!" I turned my $75-thousand into $12-thousand in a matter of days.
My point is, sure, go ahead and risk some if you want, but keep to tradition with most of your plantings. Those dates have been proven over and over and over.

No. I planted golden millet in a duck hole last week. I was going to pump it up and then pump the water off it the next day to get the seed to germinate - but I might not have to do that if the forecasted rain event actually happens. I dont plant on weather forecasts of a rain or two - been burned too many times. I plant fall plots early to mid oct and spring plots late Apr and hope for the best.

I ordered Fall seed on Thursday but I won't plant the brassicas till mid August and everything else in late Sept.. The Sept. date is because I have those fields in either sunflowers for doves or millet for the cattle.

We are fixing to go into the driest part of the year for us. August and September are too sketchy and October is the driest month of the year hear in the south. All of that can lend to having a germinating rain followed by a long stretch of dry weather causing havoc on plots. I haven't plant the first seed until the 3rd pr even 4th weekend in October for the past 4 seasons and it has been a game changer for us. The cool weather keeps the plots from growing wild and getting to big and tall making it unattractive to deer. Plus I stay away from brassicas. Last winter we had snow and really cold temps early which turned the starches to sugar making them a preferred food by a lot of deer but that was rare. Most years it never gets cold enough and we never see deer in the plots we planted. I just stick to oats and clover

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’m still planting summer plots (chufa and millet) in the SC lowcountry. I won’t mess with fall stuff til October at the earliest.

We’ve had 19” of rain in the last two weeks!

I plan on planting cow peas for an early season draw the next couple of weeks. They handle drought really well and the heat. Most of the deer are hitting the peanut and soybeans that all of the farms have planted. Once they are done they'll disperse to their normal home ranges

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

After thinking about this I'm pretty sure I asked the same question last year. This has been the coolest 20 day period I ever remember. Forcasted high of 78 is unheard of for august 2cd. I have no intentions of moving up clover or grains planting dates. Just wondering about the brassicas.

I put in some more EW last week.

as always I ordered more than enough seed. Thinking about using some but not all.

After thinking about this I'm pretty sure I asked the same question last year. This has been the coolest 20 day period I ever remember. Forcasted high of 78 is unheard of for august 2cd. I have no intentions of moving up clover or grains planting dates. Just wondering about the brassicas.

I put in some more EW last week.

as always I ordered more than enough seed. Thinking about using some but not all.

Sure! Go for it! All this is a game of chance anyhow. Put seeds in the ground, spin the wheel, and hope the ball falls on your number.
We wait for the fall because, "normally," that's the period where we have the greatest chance of success. I make up numbers - nine times out of 10 you hit it big.

Plant now, and you might have a 3 in 10 or 5 in 10 or 0 in 10 chance of success. Unfortunately, we never know the odds! If you were investing thousands of dollars instead of tens of dollars your thinking might be different. Try it! What have you got to lose? Only a question you can answer. BTW, I think I've learned a lot by trying - and losing!

Back