Hunters against Hunger?

Can’t believe y’all put all the time, money and effort to doing all the habitat stuff, post on here 26 times a day and don’t process your own deer? This does not compute I really thought everyone on this site would process their own meat. Not judging, just really really surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
I have done my own and growing up that was all we did. I even had my own taxidermy business for a few years and mounted about 200 deer a year. I remember when I first had a deer processed which was about the year 2000. Used the same place I use now. Everything turns out perfect and they do a great job with our meat. It’s all tenderized, wrapped perfectly, and best of all I can spend my time doing something else. I spent so much time mounting deer heads when I was doing that for a living I really don’t care to butcher or cut around on deer any longer...

it’s not so bad though because I read on another deer forum tonight that a lot of deer hunters on there don’t even like the meat. I absolutely love deer meat and I eat a lot of it!

Can’t believe y’all put all the time, money and effort to doing all the habitat stuff, post on here 26 times a day and don’t process your own deer? This does not compute I really thought everyone on this site would process their own meat. Not judging, just really really surprised.

Honestly for 6o-70$ cut tenderized and frozen my time can be better spent. Plus I always try supporting local business as they are. I’ve catered to them for 3 generations now going by late evening in prime butcher season as their young children helped and some literally laying in a crib. I certainly consider my butcher a business friend and wouldn’t think of denying them to make some money from me. I’m fortunate and enjoy sharing that.
I’ve ran cattle and sheep too but trust me I have no desire to do that again. One chooses their battles and those battles change over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the early nineties I have "processed" (aka cut up) my own deer. It was (in the words of the AT&T commercials "just ok"). I can pull out the Backstrap and make a roast or two but that is about it.
I cannot produce something like this and gladly contribute to my local processor for Summer Sausage, Breakfast Sausage, etc.
My time and abilities do not lend themselves to do this, and the family (grandkids) really enjoy the product.
processRS.jpg

I tend to have several options for a processor....however, finding one that I feel does good work, is USDA approved AND participates in the program is a much tougher option to find. The one I use now even posted a sign that they would not take deer as of Dec 1st.....Ummm our deer season lasts to January.

Some of the things I have found:
Locker I used for years went under new management....and ruined the place.
Some won't do deer any more or only take de-boned deer.
Some don't participate in the program (here they have to be USDA approved)
Some flat out do a piss-poor job (either you don't get YOUR deer or we have even found hide in our burger before).
Rising prices....just 2 years ago a deer cost me $75....now its $100. We take 3 or 4 deer typically a year and are seriously looking into just buying some equipment and doing it ourselves.

Even an airline pilot will on occasion fly commercial

I will say...if you take your deer to a processor.....you should do one yourself just once. Just so you know what it takes. I was backed into having to do one once....I learned a lot....I learned it was well worth the $75 it would have cost me at the time.

Now, I had never done it before, didn't have the equipment and sort of had to figure it out as I went.....so I am sure if you have the equipment, get some experience and have some help things can go much faster and easier.

Kentucky has a fantastic hunters for the hungry program. I have two drop offs within 25 minutes of my house (near Louisville). One has a 24-hr walk in cooler you can drop off deer. Just provide your confirmation number, name, phone, and address, and write “donate” on the paper and attach it to the deer. Deer must be field dressed.

I live in a neighborhood with an extremely high deer population and have no qualms at all about shooting deer just to donate the meat. I consider it being a steward of the land and doing my part to keep the habitat healthy. I would even consider it to be volunteer work since I have no personal need to shoot more deer outside of protecting my flowerbeds and shrubs!
7ef8a29ee21755377b0f6ed5a640a402.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking only for myself, I got tired of that several years ago, and I have a good processor to do it for me. After I do all the work (and spend all the money) required to do the “habitat stuff” a couple hundred dollars is a drop in the bucket to have my deer ready for the freezer.

I can't make enough jerky for family and friends. I just cant. Some years I've tested it - 8-10 deer- no problem. Never am I told "no I don't need any jerky".

• Jan-March - I have time - and the cold weather helps me if I run out of time on a batch
  • Good Jerky seasoning runs $8-$11 per 25 lbs.
  • I already have a smoker - pellets are cheap enough,
  • I get really good at my craft.
Freezer space is the biggest issue - BUT if I asked some of my friends to store some meat -they would gladly.

Its something to do in the winter, I get good at it, people enjoy it, its EASY.

I used to process all my own deer. About 15 year ago I got pretty darned sick while deer hunting. I probably spent more time on stand than I should have but I did get a pretty nice deer. When I got home I was just too danged sick to do anything. I called a good friend from work and asked if he knew a good processor in the area. He recommended a fellow that just happens to be about 5 miles from me. When I took the deer down the next morning I was amazed at this fella's set-up. Everything was immaculate and professional. His building is about 50 X 80 just for processing game. He had me fill out a paper that was two sheets long. He can make deer into anything except a Ford. As we talked he asked if I wanted it right away or if I would prefer to let it hang in the cooler for a while. I asked what he recommended and he said if I wanted the best venison, he'd hang it for about 4 weeks. I said go for it. I haven't processed a deer myself since then. He has about 10 different sausages and about the same number of jerkies he'll make, he'll mix pork or turkey with the ground meat. He even asked what size portions I wanted the meat packed in. That was, and still is, the best venison I've ever eaten. Try some venison Cajun Andoullie (sp) sausage in potato soup or navy bean soup. It's unreal. If you're ever in the Greenwood SC area and need a deer processed I absolutely recommend Bobby Parker.

Last edited:
Processing the deer is like taking a victory lap for me. A handful of knives, a couple boxes of Ziplock bags, a radio, and a 6 pack of Fat Tire and I all set for a couple of hours. Almost a time of meditation for me and a great way to reflect on the habitat work and hunting I did for the year.

A couple of things though; we don't shoot more than 3 deer a year, I've passed on really nice bucks BECAUSE it was Sunday night and I didn't want to be rushed in the process, and I can't make sausage as good as the place in Tulsa so they get my business on that end.

I would expect this problem to get worse.

The state has overplayed it's CWD hysteria in MN and it has caused some damage to their extermination plan. The state kicked in extra funds to create an "Adopt a dumpster" program to dispose of deer. The kerfuffle overflowed when garbage haulers and landfills refused to expose their workers to potentially infected carcasses. Even watershed districts were voicing stiff opposition to dumping in their area due to the unknown risk to prions getting into the water supply.

There is a movement of butchers beginning to refuse processing deer over CWD cross contamination concerns, and overall public backlash from the threat of the disease crossing the species barrier.

If you can't eat 'em or donate 'em, compost 'em.

Back