Skull mount with cedar plaque

Podad

This is a skull mount I did from a buck I got last season.

The plaque is a cut from a cedar tree on my brothers property that was part of our family farm when I was growing up. I remember climbing this tree as a child over 50 years ago. The cedar has since blown over, but will be remembered through things we make from it.

It is natural with nothing applied to it. Some have suggested applying a finish. What do yall think?
9 pt skull mount.jpg

First of all, nice deer! I love shined up cedar, so i vote for applying a coat of polyurethane to it. But certainly nothing wrong with the all natural look.:)

I like the way it looks now. Like a few have said above I do think it would look good either way. I just prefer the natural look in this regard. Nice deer

Nice. I had an European skull mount done with a premade kit where the wood mounting piece looked like an old flint arrow head and it was offset from the wall by about 30 degrees. A heck of a lot cheaper by far than a full head mount from a taxidermist.

Podad...Only one way to find out which would look better - all natural or finished with poly: Harvest another nice buck this year and do the same with a sealed base. Make a nice side-by-side comparison. We'll be waiting to see round 2 from this fall.

Podad...Only one way to find out which would look better - all natural or finished with poly: Harvest another nice buck this year and do the same with a sealed base. Make a nice side-by-side comparison. We'll be waiting to see round 2 from this fall.

That is most likely to happen if I am fortunate enough to get another. This skull on the cedar plaque looks much better to me than any of the shoulder mounts I have. And the DIY skull mounts cost $0. Compared to the cost of a shoulder mount that leaves a few hundred $$$ for lease payment, food plots, etc. ;)

Back