Skull mount with cedar plaque

Looks good to me. I have two recent skull mounts that I placed on a piece of driftwood and an old cedar stump. Like your's it give the mount more meaning and character than just buying one made in china.

Looks good to me. I have two recent skull mounts that I placed on a piece of driftwood and an old cedar stump. Like your's it give the mount more meaning and character than just buying one made in china.

Thanks, I Would love to see a picture of those.

This is what my top taxi friends use. 3-4 sealing coats of Krylon 1311 help preserve (minimizes home air stains) skull horns and rough wood.....makes dusting with compressed air easier also.
a79281fa8d196720dd1e8a33bcc3efbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used some Rustoleum 3x polyurethane on some projects earlier this year. Came out looking good, slight shine, but doesn't look too "non-natural". This cedar round was debarked by hand (and some by age), surface sanded and then poly applied to all sides. Top was sanded with 400-grit (I think, maybe 6, either way it was dry sanded, not wet), then an application of Turtle Wax applied. Have some other rounds that I'm going to do tail fans with (have 3 at the house, but don't have picture with me) that I kept the bark on (or maybe rather the bark didn't start peeling off when sanding the surface smooth). Poly went over them just the same, and I think/hope helped lock that bark on there. We'll see when I route the shelf in the back for the fan.
IMG_2859.JPG

Here's a couple mounts I did for secretaries at our office. Wood was from an old wood duck box and I wanted to keep that weathered exterior. Brushed them with a nylon floor-scrubbing type brush to knock the dirt, wood flakes, etc. off, blew it clean with air compressor (cut them to shape, obviously), and polyurethaned.
15401030_10157852022255483_815876255297881013_n.jpg IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2943.JPG

Back