Hang on tree stands

Abraham129

Hey all, I have a question about hang on Tree stands.

I found my dad’s old hang on tree stand from the early 2000’s, possibly even the 90’s. I was curious on how they use to set them up back in the day. I know nowadays it’s climbing sticks, but I didn’t find any climbing sticks or anything that would help set it up. Now my dad passed a few years ago otherwise I’d ask him. But I’m just curious on how they would go about getting up the tree back then. I use self climbers or ladder stands for now, but don’t mind the idea of hang ons. Anything is knowledge to me, thanks!

Not a good choice for the tree but the odds are much higher of leaving your nut sack hanging in a tree if you do use them.

G
I wouldn’t use them now! Just responding to the question about how most of us climbed trees back in the day to get into our lock on stands. Once the Muddy sticks came out, I was hooked on climbing sticks. Beast is my choice right now.

I wouldn’t use them now! Just responding to the question about how most of us climbed trees back in the day to get into our lock on stands. Once the Muddy sticks came out, I was hooked on climbing sticks. Beast is my choice right now.

Right on.

G

I don’t know how they did it in the 90’s but, in the 70’s I’d put one or two screw in steps in so I could reach a branch then fling my legs up over the branch and climb up the tree. Pull the stand up on the rope and secure it. Reverse process to get down. Sometimes you’d get a little roughed up LOL. That was a loooooooog time ago.

Back when we we were young and dumb, we started with nailing on boards. We progressed to screw-in steps. Then, strap-on steps. Those of us fortunate enough not to lose our nads graduated to climbing sticks.

There are advantages to hang-on stands. They were my favorite when I was younger. You can climb around branches which can provide cover below you. They are a pain to setup, but once setup, they can be comfortable to use. It is much quieter getting up to the stand than a climber. You don't need a straight trunked tree. They have much more flexible placement.

Just make sure you use enough climbing sticks to go past the stand so you are stepping down on to the stand, not up on to it.

I remember when I was a teenager, my brother and I built some 12’ ladder stands out of treated 2x4s. We hauled that out to the woods and then put a couple of screws up above it, and hung our stand.

I also had a steel gorilla stand and some screw in steps and tried the mobile hunting thing. Lasted exactly two hunts and I went back to pre-setting the stackable climbing sticks which at $40 a set was doable but quite an investment.

Now I use the same set of muddy pro sticks with cable aiders and an M7 hang on for most hunts, putting them up and taking them down one hunt at a time 20+ sits per year. I have a few pre-set stands on private property which is a lifesaver in the late season and when public land gets too crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back