Shipping container and lean-to ideas

Turkish

We are looking to get a shipping container to store our little Kubota at the farm. We currently have no storage whatsoever.

The main question we’ve got is how to attach a lean-to to the long side of the container. This area would be for covered implement storage. Should this be a freestanding structure, or is there a way to support one side of the lean-to with the container?

Any other pointers for installing these containers? We have no intent to add windows, framing, insulation to the container. We just need a way to get the tractor some relief from rodents.

We did this at my old place. We made it free standing in case we needed to move the shipping container (which we did).

But, you could attach it. Bolt your header to the side, and run your rafters off the top of it. You'd have to flash it well.

Did you have the container in place before building the freestanding shed? Any photos you could share?

Did you have the container in place before building the freestanding shed? Any photos you could share?
Yes, we did have the container there before. We put the posts a few inches away from the side and let the roof run overlapping the container by a foot or so. I'll see if I still have some pics. We used our lean to for a skinning shed. We poured concrete under it.

Ahh. I hadn’t even thought of incorporating a skinning rack. Good stuff!
Do you know how far off the container the roof runs? Said a different way, what is the depth/width of the covered area? Trying to get an idea of how much slope I’ll have.

Ahh. I hadn’t even thought of incorporating a skinning rack. Good stuff!
Do you know how far off the container the roof runs? Said a different way, what is the depth/width of the covered area? Trying to get an idea of how much slope I’ll have.
We had a drain in the center of the concrete that was plumbed out away from the area and boat winches for hanging the deer. It worked real nice. We dropped the shipping container inches away from the corner poles. So, the roof hung over the container a foot or so. We had the roof pretty high to get the slope and get the deer hung high. If I did it again, I would probably run a roof over the whole thing.

Why would you roof over the container, too?
To make it easier in the rain. To get from the side to the container door, we had to run through the rain to get stuff. And, rain would blow in from the container side. It's more of a convenience thing.

I've built a few roofs off the side of shipping containers. Pretty much like Ben said, let the roof run over the container and glue some flashing to the container. But check with a pole barn builder first. For the price these people paid for the shipping containers I could have built them a post and frame building of the same size that has way more long term value.

I bought a 20-footer about 18 years ago. Second only to my well as the best money ever spent. I can put my tractor AND 4-wheeler in it. Plus sprayer and all kinds of tools. Ran electricity to it for lights and a receptacle for my air compressor. Had the company weld a lockbox on it so the local red necks can’t cut my lock. $1800 bought it, delivered it, and set it up.

I did a similar thing on some property I had. I bought a 20’ delivered for $1600 and I stored my golf cart, hand tools, traps and corn in it. Well worth the money. Varmint proof, ten years of use cost me $160 a year. I’d do it again if I needed to.

Buddy of mine bought two of them and set them 20 feet apart and built a roof over them and the center part. Made a lot of equipment storage.

I have 2 of them and was able to buy a used carport and put between them.If I was doing a tractor in them I would try to get one with doors on both ends

Back