Shipping container as shop and taxes?

catscratch

Does anyone know if a shipping container is considered a building, or something else? I'm curious as to how it would be taxed.

Would it be considered a building if it had lean-to's attached to both sides that were attached to the ground?

What if the lean-to's were completely attached to the container and didn't have support posts touching the ground?

We have an old shipping container on out property for storage and I don't believe its considered a taxable structure, but don't quote me on that

If it was here in Oklahoma they would fly a drone over your place and see it and then just make up a name for it and then just start taxing the hell out of you on it. I built a 4 x 8 front porch on our old house and they flew a drone over and called it a 10' x 20' deck and then they saw a little shed we hauled over in a pickup for me to put chainsaws and stuff in they called it a carport and taxed us accordingly on all of it...

Most places are going to tax you for it in some way if they think it is a permanent structure. I know of folks here who had property taxes increase simply because they installed a 12 foot square floating dock on their pond. Your dealing with the government so common sense and reasoning do not apply!

The easy to determine this is to consult whatever level of government controls building code for your area. Could be township, city, county, whatever. Call them and ask.

For example, where my property is located, I can have a shed up to 120 square feet without it being a taxable structure. There are other specific limits as well, height is limited, etc, etc, etc. The rules specifically say this is regardless of the type of construction, so my reading would be a shipping container would have to be under that square footage limit or it would be considered a taxable structure.

There are way too many variations in what different areas consider to be a taxable structure, it's not possible to generalize. I know some places specifically ban shipping containers or they have time limits on how long they can be present. Also, the rules can vary from township to township in some areas.

Call and find out would be my advice.

Grouse

I have 2 of them that are 20 footers,they haven't ever said anything.They aren't permanent and can be moved in an instant with a rollback tow truck.I am thinking about moving one and putting a carport between them.In your case as mine should be ag anyway

I'll call before I do anything.
Buckedeer1, I was worried that attaching a lean-to would deal it permanent because it couldn't be moved anymore.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'll call before I do anything.
Buckedeer1, I was worried that attaching a lean-to would deal it permanent because it couldn't be moved anymore.

In Georgia if the building is considered mobile it is still taxed just like a mobile home. Is your goal to avoid taxes or minimize taxes?

Minimize. I don't figure there is a way to avoid them...

You may want to just ask the folks at your county property appraisal office which way would be less costly, a mobile or permanent structure.

In Georgia I think permanent would be less costly. Mobile homes have to pay an ad valorem tax similar to automobiles. Some folks with mobile homes have the county do some sort of legal change to make the mobile home become part of the real estate so there isn't the separate tax.

I would think it would have to have wheels to be charged that way.Used to a shed on skids wasn't taxed,now I don't know.

A visit to the assessors office is needed to determine how that would go in your area. Each town reads the laws and then does almost what they want(my opinion). And even each assessor within the same county can have different ideas. It's good to know the rules so you can avoid being mistreated but also expect that they will interpret the rules differently sometimes to your advantage and sometimes not.

Here new AG buildings get a free ride for ten years and are then taxed at AG rates. Our assessor here would likely tax the container as an AG shed if it were used for AG and you applied for an AG exemption and maybe it would be at the same per foot rate as a newly built barn or it might not be taxed at all depending. You just don't know until you ask them so it pays to meet with them, ask for their input and help in making the best decision on a building for your needs.
I have found assessors when consulted upfront to be very helpful and pleasant to get along with.

I could rent it to you and then you wouldn't have taxes,Over here they started charging recreational property taxes so that increased them from 300 to 3000 per year and they would do it so you had to pay the first year then you could protest.I got my neighbor set up with a forestry harvest plan and marked some wolf trees.We also planted some walnut trees and since he had a forest harvest history a ways back he got dropped back down to ag.Another guy he simply cut a couple loads of firewood and sold them and he got dropped back to ag.You just never know

In my area you are allowed up to an 8'x12' shed or other structure without being taxed.

Neighbor just built a 10'x20' garage for his new tractor. He got a permit to do it and the building inspector told him
that if he built on floating piers it would not be taxed. I told him the inspector was wrong and that he is not the tax man.
The neighbor scuffed at me and quoted the building inspector again. Well the city slicker neighbor is now eating crow
as the tax man says pay up.

The assessor will get a visit from me before I do anything...
Thanks for the input and ideas guys.

I could rent it to you and then you wouldn't have taxes,Over here they started charging recreational property taxes so that increased them from 300 to 3000 per year and they would do it so you had to pay the first year then you could protest.I got my neighbor set up with a forestry harvest plan and marked some wolf trees.We also planted some walnut trees and since he had a forest harvest history a ways back he got dropped back down to ag.Another guy he simply cut a couple loads of firewood and sold them and he got dropped back to ag.You just never know
I heard that they did some crazy stuff to tax rec land. Anything for a dollar. I shouldn't have any problems as the place is still a working cattle ranch but you never know.

Rent? You don't have any extra containers do you?

no but we could work it out I would think.I ordered mine from a guy in winfield or there were some good deals on craigs list just watch delivery.

no but we could work it out I would think.I ordered mine from a guy in winfield or there were some good deals on craigs list just watch delivery.
I have a guy that trucks close by. I think he can get me one cheap enough. Want to make it through Christmas and shuffle some vehicles around first. Time to sell one and start thinking about what my oldest is going to drive for his first few yrs of being a teenager. I watched craigslist also...

Back