Sheds yet?

I have found three so far: a decent 5 point, a 1/12 year old 4 and 3 point. That has been the average I have gotten in the past few years. Might be a few more hiding off the trails to my winter food plots.

WOW! I can't imagine such a deer. It probably has to work at not falling over when it walks. It is obvious by the way you are holding them that they are very heavy. Have you weighed them? I'm very curious as to what a set of antlers like that ways. And just for size reference what is the antler circumference measurement at the base just above the burr?

WOW! I can't imagine such a deer. It probably has to work at not falling over when it walks. It is obvious by the way you are holding them that they are very heavy. Have you weighed them? I'm very curious as to what a set of antlers like that ways. And just for size reference what is the antler circumference measurement at the base just above the burr?
I have no idea what the sheds weighed. Certainly had good mass to them. The mass measurements on the rt were 6" at base, 5 1/4 , 6 1/2, 5 1/2 with 26" main beams.
The left side was 5 7/8 at base, 5,5, 4 with 25 1/2" main beams. Thus a bit over 42" mass.

Btw the buck you can see mounted in the background was a 183" 8 pt we found locked up with a 135" 8 pt and both drowned in a pond. Happy to have at least found him.

Here's what happens all to often in woods with lots of mature bucks and tight ratios. Found both side by side. The one on the left was 170 class.IMG_4289.JPG

Baker, the numbers are just what the pictures actually looked like but it was still hard to imagine. i saw a measured 172 or 3 here once and other that some 150's (all taken by others) but have never seen that kind of mass. Our properties are for the most part too small and our eight to nine week gun season gives the desperadoes a lot of opportunity to stop the deer from reaching any age past 4 1/2 and even that is extremely rare. Thanks for sharing; it is nice to see what is possible under ideal conditions.

some world class bucks there Baker - you do Louisiana Proud!

I've found 9 sheds - with no matches this year - thats not normal for me!

The biggest was a heavy 5 -
big%205%20point%204-1-17_zpsuujxgess.jpg

With short stubby tines and some great mass
IMG_0194_zpshaartee2.jpg

Last edited:
My buddy that I hunt with in Kansas sent me these photos of this shed he found on the ground that I hunt on.

I'm not sure how big he is, but I would have to guess at least 180"s?

Wow! Great shed year farm hunter, finding nine sheds is excellent. This year was our best so far and we found eight. I wonder if we are simply getting better at finding them or are there just more of them and maybe in a couple of years we will be finding twenty. The heavy five you found is a real beauty. How exciting you must have been upon finding it on your property. Hope you get a crack at him.

Bowhunter that Kansas shed is also a beauty--will make an exciting season for you knowing he is out there.

IMG_4328.jpg Just back from a quick trip to the ranch. Cowboys found this set of sheds from a 6 or 7 yr old. 190 3/8. 41+" mass When I saw him in the field I thought him between 178-180. Mass will fool you every time

Well, its not an antler, but i did find some bone today. All the time i spend in the mountains and this is the first bear skull ive ever found. Good sized bear, 18 7/8.rsz_20170502_144210.jpg rsz_20170502_144213.jpg

Back