Sheds yet?

rsz_20170504_155340.jpg Out scouting public land today, mountain ive never been on yet. Found a fresh, but chewed shed from a young whitetail buck. Laying right on a skidder road at 4400ft elevation. Pretty high for whitetail sheds.

Well, I still haven't been out looking a great deal yet but I have found 12 so far - all puppies. Sure wish we could grow em like you guys down in Kansas, Illinois & Louisiana.... then again - anybody can find sheds when they are that humongous. It takes a real "expert" to be able to find these teeny things! LOL.

We did have quite a few older bucks survive the hunting season but they were still toting both antlers when our food plot crops dried up in mid-February. Obviously, they moved someplace else before shedding.

I found 1 of these sheds on the edge of a 3 acre soybean plot, 2 of them in the sugar bush during maple sugaring season, and the other 9 all came from two - 1/2 acre sugar beet plots. I am going to plant 2 full acres of sugar beets this year. Maybe I will be able to hold them around till they shed their antlers.

This seems to be the only way I can find them! At least spotted 1 before it impaled a tire!
c5cbc489596a680bf1df600fc612aab0.jpg
2165fcd5ba666dc882e30193cd107e26.jpg
3c49d04274db494e5e5cee8abb8fc56e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We still have an antler thru one of our tractor tires. Luckily stuck thru the tread. Tractor tires seem to be a magnet for them.

Those are some dark colored morels. All the ones I find in Nebraska are the typical light color.

Those are some dark colored morels. All the ones I find in Nebraska are the typical light color.
We get morels that are anywhere from an off white to almost black. Not sure how much of that is species related vs spore color. They all eat the same though.

Went up to set up my camp for the sep 1st whitetail opener today. Spent an hour or two hiking around the general area i wanted to set up my camp before i found a suitable spot. Got everything set up and started hiking down to my quad. About 50 yards from where i pitched my tent i found this. Old and chewed up, but better than nothing.20170827_191229-800x600.jpg

Any of y'all finding sheds yet? Found one yesterday in a food plot. Earlier than I expected. A four point from a 2 year old.
Most of the sheds I find are in late January or in February. Some of the Alabama Deer are descendants of the Michigan Deer, some are native. They tend to shed at different times.

Back