Scotty the Shed Dog

Dogdoc

Collar conditioned - will you explain exactly what that is and how it is used. I am guessing it in involves electronics and a hand held device by the handler.

Wayne

I'm the co-owner of the kennel that Scotty is coming from! My wife and I began breeding high quality labs 4 years ago. I'm an avid deer hunter and have access to quality ground. I found that shed hunting is as much fun as hunting! We love our dogs and they love to find sheds with us. Our goal at our kennel is to put out quality hunting dogs, the dogs we breed are proven shed hunters. We sell many dogs to bird hunters as well! A quality dog is the start of it and you can train to your wants and needs. We aren't a puppy mill only putting out 2 or 3 litters per year.

This Scotty pup is one of our favorites from this litter. He has high retrieve drive. Which is one of the most important aspects of having a good shed dog. If you think about it you are asking your dog to find and retrieve a cold-hard object, not a warm fuzzy bird! So retrieve drive is number one in my book.

A wise man once told me that in finding good shed dogs - we are looking for bomb-sniffing dogs but with high retrieve drive. Makes sense to me. Need a good nose and retriever.

I'll be glad to talk with anyone who has questions or wants to talk shed dogs, shed hunting or labs.

We started competing in the National Shed Hunting Dog Association events in 2012. They have a world finals hunt each year and have from 80-100 dogs come to compete at the national level. My male dog hunter was champion in 2013 and my wife's dog Remi was JUnior Champion in 2014.

Find a good dog and train it up right and you'll have the best companion for covering the miles while looking for sheds!

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Jeff

I have a question for you. The dogs that run in the NASHDA Events, how many of them do you believe are actually used to find shed antlers out on farm grounds and new land. Another way to ask that, do any of your dogs get out to find shed antlers you didn't plant?

Personally, I want to find shed antlers - cause as you said, shed hunting is fun too.

Wayne

Now that is the response I wanted. You ever score the best single side shed your dogs have found? Some folks think a single in the high 70s means a potential B & C buck.

Most of us like photos, you are more than welcome to post a top end shed one of you dogs have found. That would drive it home to some folks that just aren't sure about a dog's nose and abilities.

Thanks Jeff

Wayne

Scotty has been getting some obedience training. This video is on kennel which is a very important command to me.

Thanks for reading this thread.

Man oh man you gotta love a lab pup regardless of it's intended purpose. :)

As a breeder and trainer of retrievers, I can tell you that all of the information and advice that Dogdoc has given you is spot on. While I've never personally trained a lab for shed hunting, I've been training retrievers full time for the past eight years so if you have any questions about OB or collar conditioning along the way give me a shout Wayne.

Brett,

Both of Scotty's parent have won National Shed Dog Trial Championships. The blood line is there. I am going to train him 100% for shed antlers. I will use food rewards as his incentive when commands are introduced. I will use an e collar but I have everything to learn about that process.

Which months do you believe this pup will be resist to retrieving due to cutting teeth?

My wife has spoken and he will be an inside dog. She wants him to be clean and she gave me an answer opposite of what I was expecting.

My goal for commands are come, sit, stay, place, heel, find the bone, kennel, leave it, down, follow me, hold, and give it.

What would you expect to see on the command list that I failed to mention?

I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge with this rookie.

Thanks
Wayne

Sounds to me like you have the concept of all the basic commands down pat. In addition to the verbal it's always nice to have a lab whistle trained to come/here and sit as outlined by Dogdoc. Most lab pups will begin losing their puppy teeth between the 4th and 5th month with most being done by 6 months. I tell all my clients to plan on having their pups to me at 6 months of age to begin formal training/force fetch.

Scotty has been very attentive to his handler. In this video Gracie is 12 year old neighbor that loves dogs and will be getting a pup out of a future litter. She takes Scotty through some obedience training - come, sit, down, and place.

I like to see this pup being handled by a different person. He will be moved to a different setting when I bring him home.

I hope you enjoy this video.

I've told this story and retold this story about Elkie being lost in Kansas last year. As darkness fell I was told by locals that she probably wouldn't last one night with the coyotes. I searched all night and half the next day before returning from Kansas to Missouri without Elkie, and it was devastating! Elkie was lost for two nights and I was looking for a new dog when a lady called me from Kansas saying she thought she had my dog.

The lady had a black lab. The dog was a big fat ole house dog who weighed about 200 pounds, but that Lab found Elkie wrapped around a fence post and stayed with her when he normally slept in the house; protecting her from harm. On the 3rd day Elkie needed food and water, so the Lab coaxed his owner to follow, just like a Disney Movie. Labs are special dogs, most dogs wouldn't do that, and thanks to that Lab I have Elkie back!

I look forward to seeing you develop a close relationship with Scotty and have many future successes. I was at Pet Smart and a small slice of deer antler sells or $38. I know you aren't going into business, but antlers have value.

Brush,

There are guys out west that do sell shed antlers that they found. Many of those are elk sheds. In climates where snow fall is significant and deer yard up, finding volumes of sheds is not as difficult. Many individuals go to Canada for those opportunities. If Scotty makes the shed dog I hope he does, we will travel some but it will be in whitetail country and I imagine Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Alabama and Georgia might be as far as we would venture.

When I talk to shed hunters, I hear the experience and wisdom they possess. I believe the experience I gain will make me and my son better bow hunters. I always enjoy hearing the lost dog story about Elkie - that is because it turned out great. ;) Animals sense more than we think they do.

Wayne

Wayne,
I like the video of the girl working with your pup. It is good to have a helper, and is encouraging to see a young person with such an interest. One thing that I like to do in the beginning is to use my "sit" and "down" commands as "sit/stay" and "down/stay" commands. This takes a little more time, but really pays off in the future. I don't actually use the "stay" command, but rather expect that when I sit or down the dog that it stays in place. The "place" command can be used the same, but I prefer it as a means of keeping a dog on a certain spot for longer periods of time. The problem with using the sit command without the intended sit/stay is that a dog will only sit or down until it gets the reward then be off doing whatever it pleases. I find that this is especially hard when there are many people in the house who like to sit the dog, but don't "release" the dog from the command. Eventually the dog learns that it will have to release itself. Training other household members the purpose of each command becomes necessary, and often more difficult than training the dog. I use the dog's name in conjunction with an "OK" command as a general release from all formal exercises, be it down, sit, place, or healing.

Wayne,

My daughter takes her dog to the Dog Obedience training through 4H and then does the competition at the county fair. Part of the training is Long stay (both at sit and down), I think the goal is 5 minutes to start with..at higher levels the handler goes out of sight during the stay. There are also adults that do the training and and compete in the "open" class of the fair.

Maybe something to look in to if your county fair does something similar.

DoctorBrady and Kabic

Thanks for the advice. I am going to treat Scotty right and while he is teething I am going to let his mouth rest. I don't want to make him antler shy when his mouth is sensitive.

I had planned on travel to Indiana on Jan 28th to pick him up and go to a Shed Dog Trial on the same day. I will pick him up sooner than that weekend when weather is favorable. On Jan 21st he will be three months old. I will introduce a rubber antler to him but we will not have much time to work with it before his mouth gets sensitive.

Obedience training will be the training I concentrate on with Scotty in the beginning. I want to train to command with limited distractions and then I will train to perform the commands in the presences of distractions. I hope to get two things out of this dog with one being more important than the other. Most importantly I want to find sheds with him on ground I hunt and other farms where I have friends that own the land. That is my primary goal. I hope he is well trained enough that I can enter him in some shed dog trials. That is secondary.

Regarding obedience, I want this dog to focus on me and I want him to respond to commands that keep him at the distance I want and to keep him safe. I live in town and my street is a going to school street.

Now time will tell how well I do - because I bet the dog will not the limiting factor - my ability to train him will be what limits what we achieve.

Doc I too am glad to see the pup with the young lady. The trainer is a lady also. He does focus his attention well on who is handling him.

Thanks
Wayne

Last edited:
Scotty got some obedience training with his buddies around. That would be what I consider one distraction. The other two dogs are older.

Hope you like this photo.

Place with Buddies.jpg

Thanks for reading this thread.

Wayne

Very nice,I use an ecollar but 99.9% it's the tone.I have only used the shock when danger such as wants to chase a squirrel across the road.I also use "leave it" use it when they want to eat or roll into something or chase something.I always need to work with mine more but looks like you have a great dog in the making.Guess what the wife already told me NO on a new buddy

My wife has been a NO for about 3 or 4 years. This time I told her he was mine after I had 70% of purchased price already paid. It was a bit colder here for 3 or 4 days and then life got back to normal.

I am going to use an e collar. I have been studying YouTube videos on e collar. My understanding is it reinforces a command that has been taught and understood by the dog. I ordered some rubber antlers, antler scent and two DVDs today.

Wayne

Back