Scott's projects

It looks like those 3 bucks from a couple weeks ago stuck around, one of them is a busted left side and one is a 4 or 5 pt.

Not sure which I like more...The bucks or the diversity in that plot! Love the CO pics. I travel out on business a couple times a year and my sons have been going out for a number of years chasing elk. Love the looks of your property. Keep the updates coming.

Last edited:
Got out and planted some trees today, I order 15 Bur gambel oaks to fill in some tubes that I lost trees in. Earlier this spring /summer i ordered some bur oaks and ninebark but the rains quit so I just potted them and planted them today. I mostly planted them around my throw and mow plot. I also planted 25 red cedars so I ended up planting 50 trees today.

Bur gambel from the U of Idaho

I filled in some tubes that I lost the trees in.

This Chinkapin really took off this year, it was planted last year as a seedling.

Make sure you plant what you think did, these were supposed to be hazelnuts but I must have grabbed willows instead. I thought those hazelnuts were really taken off then I looked in the tubes, lol

A few pics going to the stand and while in the stand last night.

Heading back, those maples in the back are some of the most colorful we have around, they are just getting started.

Looking north from the stand, Ash trees in back were hinged at about 6' to make a living screen and some bedding.

MG screen behind me.

Last edited:
The farmer took the black beans off last week.

I tried to ring my plots with the sorghum mix, it did well except for this one area probably because of compaction from years of driving here.

Sorghum is looking good, the brassicas I added to the mix are doing good.

Pic of all the plots cereal grains in front, brassicas, alfalfa strip and sorghum, thurs they were taking the beans off and I think this is what they are looking at.

I think they are starting to chase a little, this doe went through and a buck went through 4 min later.

Couple new guys that I haven't seen before.

Success here in MI the last couple days, first my father in law shot a nice buck yesterday and this A.M. my wife Lori shot her biggest buck to date. Lori's story was kinda funny, my father in law and Lori were hunting this A.M. because I had to work midnight last night so at 7:10 I get a text that she just missed her biggest buck of her life. I get home from work and they still haven't checked for blood but just by the way the deer acted they didn't think she had hit it so at 8:30 they got out and looked. Then I get another text "get back here we found my buck" apparently they both had somehow missed the fact that the buck never made it to the fence and had went down so for an hour and a half she was kicking herself for missing a chip shot (45yds). So needless to say I didn't get to bed anytime soon but it was well worth it to see the joy in my wife.

I think of my cereal grains as the backbone of my plots, the deer use them as soon as the are planted to even digging throw snow to get to them. Come spring time the rye in there will be one of the first things to green up so it feeds them then.

My cereal grains were planted a couple weeks earlier so the plots are a little taller than normal but the deer do not seem to mind. Actually some of the oats even headed out and they have stripped the heads. I might shoot for around Aug 20th planting from now on.

Grains can get good growth as hard mast drop begins and deer switch to feed on that candy. I would think with the snow you prob deal with that a little extra growth on grains is a good thing. Everything looking great and congrats on the deer taken.

Grains can get good growth as hard mast drop begins and deer switch to feed on that candy. I would think with the snow you prob deal with that a little extra growth on grains is a good thing. Everything looking great and congrats on the deer taken.
I always used to plant labor day weekend and the last couple years I've planted earlier because of going out to CO muley hunting. I used to think that they liked the shorter more tender grains but what I've seen the last couple years is that it really doesn't matter and now I'm thinking I get more food planting it alittle early.

Congrats to the 2 hunters. Plots are getting a workout. Cereal grains, imo, should always be the standard in all fall mixes.

Great looking place here in MI! I also like the variety in your plots. I used to hunt Isabella county a lot in Mid MI. Some good looking bucks you have there too.

Great looking place here in MI! I also like the variety in your plots. I used to hunt Isabella county a lot in Mid MI. Some good looking bucks you have there too.
Just north of Isabella, Clare CO. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Over Christmas we made a trip to CO to welcomed into this world our first grandchild. Lily she was born on 12/20.

I'm surprised I haven't got into an accident while driving around and gawking in CO with all the great views.

While flying back at 31,000' we saw a circular rainbow above the clouds, something I've didn't even know existed until I googled it. This pic doesn't really do it justice.

Deer here have been hitting the brassicas, this plot has been eaten to almost bare dirt.

No pics of older mature bucks but there are 4-5 year and a half old bucks made it through.

All the deer in the pictures are incredible! I can't say I've ever saw that many in one field at the same time! How's the grand baby doing? Mine is doing great!

All the deer in the pictures are incredible! I can't say I've ever saw that many in one field at the same time! How's the grand baby doing? Mine is doing great!
Grand daughter is doing great, I'm sure our frequent flyer miles will be going up at least grandma's. That is a lot more deer than we usually have, for some reason we've attracted more this winter from the outlying areas. I didn't see that many during the bow season, they all showed up after rifle season. Our property hasn't had much activity after 11/20, I think they have noticed that and stayed.

Back