Scott's projects

Pulled cards last night and everything seems to be liking the cereal coming up. Tues. it will be 2 weeks on these plots.

Not sure i this is the same buck or not.

This camera is on a tree with a ladder stand.

Here's some 2 week pics of the cereal grains, looking good becaise we've had over 3" of rain since they were planted. I tried something different with my cereal grains this year I added sunflowers, I don't think they'll last long but like the peas in the mix they'll be like ice cream.

Made it back from CO, had a good time hunting but didn't bag anything but had a couple of chances, one a 3X3 popped out of the spruce at 10 yds and didn't give me a chance to get pulled back before he spotted me and the other my son and I were walking some old logging trails into the wind and the wind switched and 33 yds in front of us a 4X3 popped up from behind a dead fall with a log right in his vitals only to bound off.

Here's a pic from where we were hunting last year and we wanted to go farther to the right but there was a big ravine we couldn't get across, we found a road that snaked around and actually ended up being on top of the ridge but a couple miles down.

Just off the ridge to the right.

Same spot looking left.

I rained everyday we were up there except the last, roads are red clay and greasy.

Luckily we found some old logging roads and it made walking a lot easier. Once we got up to the top there were some good meadows up there that you couldn't see from down below.

Spent some time where the aspens and dark timber met.

Pic of camp.

Pic of one of the logging roads, lots of dead falls across them.

Here's where the 4X3 was, laying down behind the 3rd log, 2 bounds and he was down in the dark timber.

Last edited:
Sunrise on the last morning, hike out in the dark, sweat and get cold and wait for the sun to come up and warm you up. Typical day was mid 30's when we woke up then it warmed up to 70-80.

The last day we packed up camp and tried another spot in our area on the way back. Come to find out it was a 3hr hike up to this huge meadow, this first pic only shows about a third of the mtn from the bottom.

A little over half way up, the ridge in the middle is the top from the first pic.

Further up.

Last year we hiked up through this valley, there is a private farm down there right next to the national forest, nice hay field there.

Aspens are turning color.

Finally up top, that little white line in the middle of the pic is the dirt road leading up to the parking lot at the bottom.

The meadow up top is huge.

Just to prove this old guy really made it up there.

Looking down the back side to the west.

Some beautiful pics.

Your plots look great. Everything is so green. We've been in a dry spell but finally got some rain yesteady. This is the 2nd year I have included sunflowers in my fall plantings. Last year it was a great success. The sunflowers provided some great forage until the first freeze.

MG started off good this spring but when summer got here the rains quit and so did the MG. The last 4-5 weeks we've had decent rains and it still wasn't done for the year.

Both ends of this screen are about 8-9' tall but the middle is 3-5'.

that 40 acre sanctuary to the north is sweet - really makes your top areas all the better. if that ever sells you'd better buy it though!!
Nice looking plots and all -

My first 2 pears off this Kieffer pear

Overall orchard.

Our throw and mow plot is doing good.

Kind of a B & B I guess.

Saturday was our youth hunt here so I take it theses guys were pushed off the neighbors to the west.

Last edited:
That middle buck looks like he might have been pretty decent, but looks like he is missing the left antler now.
Yea that first pic there is a tree tube in the back ground that makes it look like his left side is there, thought I had something really good at first.

Great habitat pics, Scott. Do your deer even lift their heads in the cereal plot? :)
Mountain pics are sweet. Sounds like a great time.

I've had this kiddie pool as a water hole for the last 3yrs and it's still going strong.

And they use it regularly, dates and times are off on this camera, bateries dies and I never reset them. These pics were in the last week.

On my mom's place she rents out the front part to a farmer, this year he planted black beans in there and they are going to be taken off soon. that's where I'll have more sightings on my plots.

Pic of our MG screen from the farm field.

Sitting in the blind last night I noticed the apple tree right by the blind is still loaded with apples, most of our apple trees are already bare.

You have it going on with your place. Apples is something I wish we just had naturally like so many of our northern brothers do but just not to be down this way...

Good luck in your Hunting!

Back