Rye into beans

Baker

I drilled elbon rye into standing beans about 3 weeks ago. It hadn't rained for several weeks before I drilled and hasn't rained since. I think rye might grow on concrete. You can see a few beans sprouting as well. Great chance of rain tomorrow and if so think this field will really light up. VeIMG_4436.JPG ry happy with results

Good looking combo. I wish I had enough open area to plant beans. I think I've got rye sprouting in the bed of the truck right now. Hope you get your rain!

Good looking combo. I wish I had enough open area to plant beans. I think I've got rye sprouting in the bed of the truck right now. Hope you get your rain!

Yep rye will sprout anywhere. Very common to see it growing in the truck bed as well as the back of the tractor and on top of the bush hog.

I drilled elbon rye into standing beans about 3 weeks ago.

I broadcast VNS rye into my beans, haven't taken a pic just yet. I wasn't thrilled with it as of last weekend, we got a couple inches of rain so maybe I've got some addl germination now. I'll get a couple pics of my "green & beans" this weekend and post up for comparison. The other plots where drilled it looks great.

I disked one of my food plots and spread rye and then lightly disked it in. Went heavy on seeding. Hadnt rained in five weeks. Two weeks later - not a single seed has sprouted that I can tell. We did finally get a rain a couple days ago - so should see something green soon.

Rye, oats, radish & clover broadcast into beans, looking better after the rain last weekend
444dec6baa09ebb68d8edefea73e92cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

G3 Ranch - Now that you've had rain, how would you compare the plots where you drilled versus top-seeding? I'll be curious to hear your thoughts over the next 3-6 months, on the relatively effectiveness of these two methods. Both are suitable, of course, but hopefully you'll be able to offer some insights when comparing the two.

I predict SwampCat will have better news to report, soon, now that rain has fallen.

I have top seeded wheat into my beans on a number of occasions - just prior to leaf drop - and had very good luck. It might not have been so great this year because of the lack of rain. But, my beans have bare dirt beneath. The seed is laying directly on bare ground - so seed to soil contact is not really a question. Then, the leaf fall covers the beans - and with a little rain, this has always worked well. I also would add that I have done this on my ridgetop beans - not on my bottom beans where the hogs live. I don't know how much of the wheat seed the hogs might eat to potentially reduce the success of this operation.

I no tilled rye and crimson clover into standing peas and sunn hemp.

1735d899990e217c825971f96693a3f9.jpg

2f4893aa676de92469fc3a42e9a0cbb0.jpg

fd638aec5f399e7556cb177c22b57d70.jpg

You can see how tall the peas and hemp were compared to my 75 lb lab. 5 acres down, 14 to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Do the beans stand back up after no tilling? Are the deer able to eat the bean pods in the winter after no tilling?

Do the beans stand back up after no tilling? Are the deer able to eat the bean pods in the winter after no tilling?

Nope, they won’t stand back up. This terminated them. Not sure if the deer will eat the pea pods because I’ve never been able to produce pods before. I think doves and other birds will eat them, and I will get a big volunteer crop next year (fine with me).

Deer swarm my beans in december and january for the pods. Interestingly- they dont mess with the pods earlier in the year.

As stated, peas are mostly done if you drill thru them .It may not kill them all but at this late date they are unlikely to stand up especially with nothing to climb. Many of my soy beans did remain standing however with pods intact and I expect them to remain standing much of the winter. I planted a pure soy bean stand. It also knocked a lot of bean seed to the ground which I expect to sprout especially after yesterdays rain. They will last till frost { typical first frost here 11/15} offering a little extra attraction. Not that it matters much as we have so many acorns there is scant use of any plots.

This is not rye, but oats. This is the first year I've tried broadcasting oats into beans(the first year I've tried broadcasting at all without tillage). The picture is about 3 weeks in and it's honestly the best stand I've ever had, even better than my conventional tillage methods. The deer here are wearing the beans and the oats out. I'm sure they've never seen a bean so they didn't know they wasn't supposed to eat them til later.
e3d76a693c4cbf51b1a145f2dcda878b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I no tilled rye and crimson clover into standing peas and sunn hemp.

1735d899990e217c825971f96693a3f9.jpg

2f4893aa676de92469fc3a42e9a0cbb0.jpg

fd638aec5f399e7556cb177c22b57d70.jpg

You can see how tall the peas and hemp were compared to my 75 lb lab. 5 acres down, 14 to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
That looks pretty good. How many years have you planted sunn hemp and did you have to mow that any or did the deer keep it down. I planted it last year and the deer kept some of it browsed down but some of it got 8 feet tall in places. I did have about a pound I had left over from last year and just threw it out and it came up and got about 1-1/2 feet tall and they ate it down. I am going to plant some more next spring in a couple plots to see how they eat it since they finally know what it is.

BTW Whiskeybent ....... That appears to be a very healthy young buck! Look at the coat and how well he's filled out. You've fed him well!

That looks pretty good. How many years have you planted sunn hemp and did you have to mow that any or did the deer keep it down. I planted it last year and the deer kept some of it browsed down but some of it got 8 feet tall in places. I did have about a pound I had left over from last year and just threw it out and it came up and got about 1-1/2 feet tall and they ate it down. I am going to plant some more next spring in a couple plots to see how they eat it since they finally know what it is.

I’ve planted sunn hemp for 3 years now as part of a summer mix. I did not mow it this year, but I’ve heard of people needing to do that.

I planted later than usual this summer (mid-July), so that is most likely why it’s not 8 feet tall.

Back