Rural property and global pandemics

My two cents. This is an evil plan by the Chinese commies to try to bring down a president that broke one off in them. I suspect if this mild irritant doesn’t work, a much more deadly virus will follow in a year or two. No way this just “happened”.

It’s nice living not only in the Midwest, but rural Midwest on top of that. That said, my wife and I, both being type 1 diabetics, are pretty much sunk if everything falls apart.

The pandemic and pandemonium have made it easy to reflect on how fortunate our family is and also reassure some of the decisions we’ve made. We could live anywhere, we are not bound by work to live anywhere in particular. We choose to live in a small town in a fairly rural area. There’s give and take there, we have very limited restaurants, entertainment, etc. But we’re not surrounded by the rat race. No commutes, no crowds, mostly just good hard working, self-sufficient people who’ll go a long way to help a neighbor in need. Never considered myself a prepper, lived most of my years without ever hearing the word. But there’s a basement full of full canning jars from this years garden and a freezer with a deer and a lot of fish in it. We grew up living that way. It made sense to me before this hoopla and it will make sense after. There’s a certain satisfaction achieving some self-sufficiency and I think the process is good for your soul. This world needs more time in the treestand and time in the garden, time in the kitchen canning.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Tomorrow morning we will awake to world that wasn't even a thought a month or so ago. ATL airport is a ghost town. Schools all across our state are shut down. No public gatherings anywhere. We have 4 self-quarantined out of work at our office due to someone they know who may have come in contact with someone else that has been diagnosed positive. Prolly more tmrw. We have readiness plans for a complete office shut down if this thing continues. Delta already furloughing employees. Next week is going to be weird. And if it goes any further, we will suddenly be in the new norm of the day.

In checkout line yesterday at Publix. Lady in front of me wouldn't push her cart within 8 ft of person in front of her. She was wearing gloves. Gave me a strange look when my cart came within a couple feet of her. Weird stuff I've never seen in my soon to be 64 yrs on this earth.

On the other hand, we may wake up in a month or two totally back to normal. But...everyday we live in this new norm it becomes more difficult to reverse. I wonder how many of the several million urbanites in ATL are googling land search sites for rural property for sale? Who knows...might even cause an increase in our land values.

Good points Triple. I think with each world/national event, our lives change to a different direction. But in many ways, once the drama passes we tend to return to our previous norm. I certainly don't belittle this event and especially for elderly and compromised. I do think it has been over rated for the vast majority of the population. There is evidence we have been dealing with this virus since November when testing for typical flu was always negative since present testing was not available. The CDC dropped the ball on production test kits since this was incubating in the media with China and others for couple months. My daughters ski trip was cancelled due to CO and others closing their resorts. Travel is restricted. Institutions are closed. Yet restaurants are full, Lowes is packed, my friends pic from. Ft. Lauderdale showed packed beaches, so many of the citizens continue their routines. I played golf at MB this past wk, ate at their restaurants, entered their buildings. Yes, I exercise, eat very healthy, and practice excellent hygiene as always. Everyone should.

But over the years I have dealt with taking precautions of various strains of hepatitis, AIDS virus, staph, TB, and many more potentially deadly or life altering bacteria. I will go to work again tomorrow, and as always maintain a deep respect for what can attack the human body and take my precautions. But rest assure, I will have no fear. Fear, and the stress it creates, promotes more human failures than any germ in itself. I hope all take their precautions, and while I've been flippant at times, I want all to stay healthy. Use your God given brains, keep yourself healthy, exercise, eat properly, and laugh more.
And most of all, always remember our days are numbered, so be quite sure your Faith has taken you to the level you need to be. Good luck to all in our new/old world.

Good points Triple. I think with each world/national event, our lives change to a different direction. But in many ways, once the drama passes we tend to return to our previous norm. I certainly don't belittle this event and especially for elderly and compromised. I do think it has been over rated for the vast majority of the population. There is evidence we have been dealing with this virus since November when testing for typical flu was always negative since present testing was not available. The CDC dropped the ball on production test kits since this was incubating in the media with China and others for couple months. My daughters ski trip was cancelled due to CO and others closing their resorts. Travel is restricted. Institutions are closed. Yet restaurants are full, Lowes is packed, my friends pic from. Ft. Lauderdale showed packed beaches, so many of the citizens continue their routines. I played golf at MB this past wk, ate at their restaurants, entered their buildings. Yes, I exercise, eat very healthy, and practice excellent hygiene as always. Everyone should.

But over the years I have dealt with taking precautions of various strains of hepatitis, AIDS virus, staph, TB, and many more potentially deadly or life altering bacteria. I will go to work again tomorrow, and as always maintain a deep respect for what can attack the human body and take my precautions. But rest assure, I will have no fear. Fear, and the stress it creates, promotes more human failures than any germ in itself. I hope all take their precautions, and while I've been flippant at times, I want all to stay healthy. Use your God given brains, keep yourself healthy, exercise, eat properly, and laugh more.
And most of all, always remember our days are numbered, so be quite sure your Faith has taken you to the level you need to be. Good luck to all in our new/old world.
You mean "no irrational fears", but a healthy respect for some things, like timber rattlers, and guns without any safety, and friends who say hold my drink and watch this.

I made a comment just earlier today about how them folks out in Idaho or Montana must be thinking ...."Quarantine.....shoot....I ain't seen anybody outside my immediate household in nearly a month and that's NORMAL!" I will say that even in small town USA the bug will find you....eventually. The world is simply too small of a place for it not to. 50 years ago....traveling to China was not a "normal" thing.....now....most companies don't think twice about it. We used to live on different rocks on this earth....now we all live on the same rock....like it or not!

That right there is part of the problem. The media makes you believe it WILL get you. That there is no chance it won’t and no chance it may just run it’s course. That is simply not the truth.

Lots of info out there, kinda hard to sift through the BS. This guy is an expert in his field, one of the best in the country. It’s not all doom and gloom but it could be if the situation is ignored. This clip is worth the time if you have some to spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first 15 minutes if you can’t spare the hour + for the long version.

Weekender, you ever think to yourself how is it that the Fear Factor, News Radio, MMA announcing, weed puffin comedian Joe Rogan became one of the most balanced, fair, interesting interviewers of all time? Without trying, he’s become one of the best journalists around. While I give Joe credit, I think that says a lot about the sad state of the media in this country. With the right guest, his podcasts are some of the most informative and entertaining content you can watch. I wish he could trim the length down at times, but if it’s an interesting guest those hours fly by. I just don’t have enough windshield time these days.

The Kansas governor just banned all assemblies of 50+ for two months. Kansas City followed that with more strict policy about restaurants and bars; which I expect the governor to push that into the rest of the state soon. The economic impact is going to be disaterous. My wife, a nurse, is very concerned about what is going to happen in her work; her concerns are much different than most other employees though. She's worried about having to live at the hospital for a significant amount of time in the weeks/months to come.

Hell there are a ton of towns in Kansas that the whole town could get together and not have 50 people. This is all BS. Once the government sees how well this works, in less than ten years we will have another pandemic that kills old, young, and in betweens. We’ll be put in isolation camps and that will be that. Y’all think I’m nuts but I am IN the government. I see what is happening.

If I understand right, the UK has come to the realization that the virus is going to run its course regardless and the health care system will be overwhelmed. Their response now is to say, "The heck with it, we're not going to let he economy go on life support too." Am I seeing that right? If so, they have it figured out imo.

If I understand right, the UK has come to the realization that the virus is going to run its course regardless and the health care system will be overwhelmed. Their response now is to say, "The heck with it, we're not going to let he economy go on life support too." Am I seeing that right? If so, they have it figured out imo.

That was their attitude until yesterday, but they admitted the science behind that theory was bogus so they scrapped it.

They won’t have a choice, their economy will take a digger either way. Italy held out for too long, they didn’t start shutting down until they were forced.

Weekender, you ever think to yourself how is it that the Fear Factor, News Radio, MMA announcing, weed puffin comedian Joe Rogan became one of the most balanced, fair, interesting interviewers of all time? Without trying, he’s become one of the best journalists around. While I give Joe credit, I think that says a lot about the sad state of the media in this country. With the right guest, his podcasts are some of the most informative and entertaining content you can watch. I wish he could trim the length down at times, but if it’s an interesting guest those hours fly by. I just don’t have enough windshield time these days.

You have no idea, all the time. Joe Rogan is no journalist but he has used his fame (still not sure how he got there exactly) to the benefit of others with the podcast. He keeps it simple, never pretends to be an expert but seeks out experts and asks questions from the “average Joe” perspective.

To be fair, Dr. Osterholm was on Tucker Carlson (Fox) this week too.

Last edited:
Hell there are a ton of towns in Kansas that the whole town could get together and not have 50 people. This is all BS. Once the government sees how well this works, in less than ten years we will have another pandemic that kills old, young, and in betweens. We’ll be put in isolation camps and that will be that. Y’all think I’m nuts but I am IN the government. I see what is happening.

I do think that’s nuts, I’m in the government too. The Bureaucracy is WAY too incompetent to plan and execute a global pandemic.

Infectious disease experts have been warning us, and government, for years. As the world continues to become more populated and connected as some already pointed out, it becomes easier for new viruses to spread rapidly.

You’re correct, this certainly won’t be the last global pandemic we see during our life. That’s unfortunate but also the point of me starting this thread. You can easily isolate yourself in rural America if you so choose.

Back