R1 vs. R4 tires

Bowhunter

I’m beginning to look at getting a new larger tractor in the 50-60 horsepower range and see that just about all the tractors I look at have R4 tires on them. They are more expensive than R1’s but they aren’t as good IMO in the traction department. Only thing I can think of is the life span is much longer on the R4’s.

What does everyone else use, and why should I choose either one for my application.

I don’t see much difference. I’ve used both and have gotten stuck with both. Performance seems the same on most normal ground. I’d just go with what they normally sell that is popular with the model. It’s usually popular for a reason. If your ground is really wet all the time causing a need for more aggressive traction is probably best to stay off that kind of ground no matter what the tire. That’s just my opinion.

Unless you plan on working on hard pack and will be using your tractor for plotting, etc. I'd personally go with the ag tires. We have a 55hp kubota 4x4 with R4 tires and a 48 hp john deere 2wd with R1 tires. The john deere pulls a disk better than the kubota in 2wd. Also the john deere will go places only the kubota can go in 4wd. I also noticed the kubota's tires have a hard time shedding the type of mud we have. Once the tread gets packed it's over. If these tires ever wear out we will be replacing them with ag tires no doubt.
fdceebe1858356acde199145aa540d4b.jpg

I’m surprised you couldn’t push yourself backwards. But your picture doesn’t show what’s behind you lol.

I’m surprised you couldn’t push yourself backwards. But your picture doesn’t show what’s behind you lol.
Normally I could with a bucket on. Those forks buried all the way to the hushpuppy when I tried. There isn't a bottom to that spot

Positives for the R1; Standard on most Ag tractors- it's an ag tire that works best for working in fields. R1's ride smoother because the side walls are not as stiff. As was mentioned, the R1 will have better traction than an R4 in mud. The R1 is better for loader work in the fields and woods.
Positives for the R4; Standard on most compact tractors- it's a landscaping/ construction tire that's generally more rugged and lasts longer in rough conditions. The R4's will not tear up sod as much as the R1's will. The R4 is better for general loader work on blacktop and hard surfaces.
A big thing to consider here is that manufacturers will often install a smaller diameter R4 than the R1 would be on the same tractor, which is better for landscaping, but worse for general ag work.

My first tractor had r4s... really nice for me at the time because I also cut grass with a 3pt finish mower. I eventually added a zero turn mower to the fleet and upgraded my tractor. New tractor has r1s and the difference is amazing. Im doing things in two wheel drive I never could have pulled off with r4s. Just have to be mindful when I’m doing work around the house to if possible wait for conditions that will limit damage to yard. When I had my old tractor with the r4s I would often find myself mumbling a tapestry of profanity when I had to engage 4wd yet again.

R1 is cheaper. Unless u mowing yard then that’s reason enough. Save the money. Have them flip wheels to give slightly wider stance and fill w fluid. If your gonna have a tractor.... have a tractor that knows how to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R1 is cheaper. Unless u mowing yard then that’s reason enough. Save the money. Have them flip wheels to give slightly wider stance and fill w fluid. If your gonna have a tractor.... have a tractor that knows how to work.

And make up your mind right away if your going to flip wheels. When they are new it's about an even swap. As soon as you drive it one time the wheels are used, and the value drops by half.

I have R4 on mine as well.....with ag tires my machine wouldn't fit inside the garage door (fixed ROPS). Ag tires are certainly better for traction....

I am told ag tires are harder on the lawn and the lawn and the like vs R4's as well....

Either way....tractors don't float! And no traction...means YOUR STUCK!
tractor.jpg

And make up your mind right away if your going to flip wheels. When they are new it's about an even swap. As soon as you drive it one time the wheels are used, and the value drops by half.

Actually don’t need new wheels. If u flip inside to outside then u pic up about a ft each side due to a differnce n concavity depth of wheel.

Actually don’t need new wheels. If u flip inside to outside then u pic up about a ft each side due to a differnce n concavity depth of wheel.

I misinterpreted your post, you've got to understand that I'm a little dense at grasping things sometimes. I thought that you were saying have the dealer flip "exchange" the R4 for R1 tires turned to the outside for a wider stance and fill with fluid... He said the tires on the tractors he's looking at have R4's on them.

Probably for what I plan on using the tractor for the R1’s will fit my needs better than the R4’s will. Although I might go with the R4’s if someone gives me the right deal on a tractor.

Hopefully dealers will move a little on price for me. Can’t imagine that with all that’s going on with the economy that there’s too many people buying tractors right now, but you never know I guess.

Probably for what I plan on using the tractor for the R1’s will fit my needs better than the R4’s will. Although I might go with the R4’s if someone gives me the right deal on a tractor.

Hopefully dealers will move a little on price for me. Can’t imagine that with all that’s going on with the economy that there’s too many people buying tractors right now, but you never know I guess.

I wasn't sure how many people would be buying either. I know our situation in TX is a little different than what has been going on in NY. With the financing specials on tractors, they have been selling quite a few. I pick mine up today and the dealer said that he has sold over 40 in the past few weeks. I had another dealer tell me something similar when I was on their lot as well.

Not sure. I’ve seen more new car tags in one month than I can remember around here. Whatever throw each brand against each other for best price as they all love to win the sale. Good luck.

Back