Quapaw Meadows (My 160 Acres)...

dogdoc

Welcome to dogdoc's land tour. Sorry for the delay of getting this started but better late then never. I purchased Quapaw Meadows in the fall of 2002. It is 160 acres located in west Lincoln County. Approx 40 miles east of Oklahoma City. The Quapaw Tribe owned much of the land around my area in the 1800's and the large creek that runs next to my south property line is Quapaw Creek. I have a small feeder creek that feeds into the larger creek. That is how I came up with the name Quapaw Meadows.

The Green areas are my food plots. The larger one is the wheat/clover plot with part of it Eagle Soybeans. The blue is water. Two ponds and a running creek. The creek will go dry in a bad drought but usually always has water.
The pink are tree stands for bow and the purple are my tower stands for rifle. The Yellow block of land was the former fescue field. Two acres on the North side has been converted to a ladino/red clover plot mixed with chicory. I call this my Boggy Bottom Plot. It was given the name Boggy Bottom by the former owner of the land who passed away just prior to my purchasing the land.

My Main Plot is the green block in the middle of my land. It is a total of 2.5 acres. It is broken up into 3 different plots--kinda like a LC plan. Part in perennial ladino clover, part in fall annuals mixed with red clover, and about 1 acre of warm season annuals---Eagle Soybeans.

The Perennial clover:

The LC mix prior to mowing:

A month after mowing--there is some white clover mixed in that was planted years ago:

I only mowed half of it as the deer do enjoy bedding in the tall clover and cereal grains

Great pictures, dogdoc. I always liked the Boggy Bottom plot, but I like the name Quapaw Meadows even better.

Wow what great looking plots you have. Love how you mix and match so much variety on your place. Of course I'm still staring at that yellow blob on left of map and waiting for new pic of fallow field, especially w your dry summer. Thanks for showing,I know you've had a lot going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And my highest scoring buck. I was amazed that he was only 3.5 but trust me there was no way I was not squeezing that trigger. Some of you might have stronger will power than me but when I saw the rack I didn't even look at the body size. My neighbor had a cam pic of him the day before and he still had both brow tines.

About time you got your land tour going again...slacker ;)

Those are some great bucks! I like the double white patch on the last one you posted...

Looking forward to following along from over here in the drought zone...

Last edited:
Glad to see you start your thread back Todd. Great deer and harvest pictures. I'm looking forward to keeping up with your activities.

lol---you are correct. Lack of sleep over the last 2 weeks:rolleyes:

I ate tag soup during the 2015 season

Went to the farm today. Unfortunately to put down one of my mom's older horses. The 25 year old Quarter Horse broke off half of one of her hooves and it was not fixable. I hate putting down horses--but she had a great life. Can't do much at the farm due to my shoulder so just snapped a few pics and checked cameras.

I received 3" of rain 2 days ago and the clover is enjoying the drink. Ground is still very moist.

Boggy Bottom Plot:

Clover is nipped everywhere and the 2.25 acre plot is holding up the pressure.

Native, here is a picture of the purple flower we were trying to ID on the other forum. The deer are absolutely hammering this plant. Does this help any better on the ID?

I was surprised to see any sunflowers actually make it to flower stage on the new plot I planted this spring. It's mainly weeds at this time but hopefully I can recover from my shoulder surgery next week to get this turned into a fall plot. I am planning on just spraying and then doing CNC's "throw and mow".

The Boggy Bottom plot is definitely seeing the most pressure. Remember, I have no Ag around me at all.

By the young:

By the old:

And by the numbers:

And a few more cam pics:

It is rare for me to have bucks on my property this time of year. The large food plot is drawing some nice bucks in. Let's hope they stick around.

Back