Quapaw Meadows (My 160 Acres)...

Todd, the blooms (and even the leaves) of Florida Blue Lettuce and Chicory look amazingly alike. If you are certain that the plant isn't exactly like the chicory you planted, then I am convinced it is FBL. Honestly, even seeing that good picture, I'm not sure I could tell without seeing them together. Both plants are highly favored browse.

I had this duck pond built shortly after purchasing the property. Got some help by the NRCS. I can draw it down if I want but I am dependent on mother nature to fill it.

man everything looks great buddy! Are you allowed to rifle hunt in OK? Those blinds look like they are setup for such.

FYI reason I ask in Ohio you can only bow, shotgun, or like straight wall rifle 45-70, 444, etc.

man everything looks great buddy! Are you allowed to rifle hunt in OK? Those blinds look like they are setup for such.

FYI reason I ask in Ohio you can only bow, shotgun, or like straight wall rifle 45-70, 444, etc.

we have a 16 day rifle season starting the saturday before Thanksgiving. We also have a 9 day muzzle loader season starting the last saturday of October.

So glad to see the aerial of your property. Sure helps to analyze ones own property. The kid shots are priceless. Nice job, Doc.

Is that milo growing in one of your plots? If so, how are the deer utuilizing it?

So glad to see the aerial of your property. Sure helps to analyze ones own property. The kid shots are priceless. Nice job, Doc.

Is that milo growing in one of your plots? If so, how are the deer utuilizing it?

I don't currently have any milo planted but in one of the harvest pics there is some milo in the back ground. It is in a warm season mix made by a local co-op. The deer fees heavily on the sees heads once it matures. Poor man's corn.

That's what Native was saying also. Just can't tell the difference from the wild chicory and the wild lettuce with just the flower. They do like identical. I have chicory planted in this field but this plant doesn't look like the food plot chicory that I planted. Either way it sure it foraged heavily.

thanks
todd
The flower I posted grows along the edge of blacktop roads, and I've always called it chicory, but then I've always wondered if that's what people were planting in food plots?

After the deer season 2013 I entered my sanctuary and did some TSI. I consulted the advise from LC and read his hinge cutting to create habitat thread a couple of times.

Here are a few pics after hinging and cutting down a lot of tall spindly over crowded oaks and hickory trees:

Taken mid spring the same year of the TSI. Results are amazing. Look at the sunlight hitting the floor and all the growth that wasn't there last last year. Plus all the tender sprouts available to the deer.

DogDoc

I enjoy your land thread. Good job on the hinge cutting. I like the simple approach to your shooting houses - not sky scrapers but they don't need to be on your farm.

Shooting houses are a great resource for young hunters & us old one too.

Back