New Year, New Deer Season. Steadfast tips to help your success

Dust.Nich77

Each year I sit back once deer season ends and take inventory of the lessons learned. This year was no different , but as I thought about it further I realized there were several that I follow religiously. The 5 I wrote about in the article below are the ones I have learned in years past, and usually the hard way. Take a look and let me know what lessons you've learned over the years
http://lifestylelost.com/index.php/2017/01/05/new-years-deer-hunting-resolutions-5-tips/

Nice article a lot of good advice in it. These are all tactics that I personally and professionally use every year. My #1 lesson I learned this year was that trepassers are going to trespass and poachers are going to poach. Being a nice guy doesn't pay off when it comes to these people.

Nice article a lot of good advice in it. These are all tactics that I personally and professionally use every year. My #1 lesson I learned this year was that trepassers are going to trespass and poachers are going to poach. Being a nice guy doesn't pay off when it comes to these people.
Thanks I appreciate that. Yeah that's unfortunate you had to deal with that. Its a shame its even a variable anyone has to think of and you're right, give them an inch and they take a mile. Did you still have some success this year regardless?

Nice article

One thought on getting aggressive early

I had 2 nice ones patterned early. Got close. Didn't get aggressive because of wind and not wanting to hang a new stand. They disappeared during the rut. I think if you're hunting field edges early season and you have one coming out routinely get on them. I'd stay out of your rut stands for sure

Nice article

I had 2 nice ones patterned early. Got close. Didn't get aggressive because of wind and not wanting to hang a new stand. They disappeared during the rut. I think if you're hunting field edges early season and you have one coming out routinely get on them. I'd stay out of your rut stands for sure
I absolutely agree with that. Early In the season, Bucks only use a relatively small portion of their core area as compared to later when they begin searching for and tending does. Your point would certainly be an exception to the rule if you have a pattern locked down, especially before they start to wander. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks I appreciate that. Yeah that's unfortunate you had to deal with that. Its a shame its even a variable anyone has to think of and you're right, give them an inch and they take a mile. Did you still have some success this year regardless?
We had a very good year. Personally I killed my best buck ever so I can't complain much.

Nice article

I agree with getting on them early if the opportunity presents itself. I killed my buck in early November doing the same thing he was doing in October. He did give the doe a sniff before he moved off into my direction but he was still on a feeding pattern for the most part. I am a low pressure guy but feel if hunting a field edge you are hunting low pressure by not getting into the bucks core and waiting for him to travel to you. The buck I killed came a few hundred yards across open picked corn to my stand with a couple of soft grunts. I still to this day have not set foot in the area he comes out of and never will during hunting season. I had two more big deer take his place within a couple of days of taking him and they live in the same core area.

I agree with getting on them early if the opportunity presents itself. I killed my buck in early November doing the same thing he was doing in October. He did give the doe a sniff before he moved off into my direction but he was still on a feeding pattern for the most part. I am a low pressure guy but feel if hunting a field edge you are hunting low pressure by not getting into the bucks core and waiting for him to travel to you. The buck I killed came a few hundred yards across open picked corn to my stand with a couple of soft grunts. I still to this day have not set foot in the area he comes out of and never will during hunting season. I had two more big deer take his place within a couple of days of taking him and they live in the same core area.

It's really interesting to watch the hierarchy unfold like that. There is always and old monarch that kind of controls the pace of things and a few youngsters waiting to take his place.

Good article!
Here are 3 things I knew but really hit home this past season.
As they say, you can't harvest one if you are sitting in the house. Harvested a large buck on the last Sat. of the 2nd gun season. I just went out because I woke up and decided what the heck and got up. I wasn't expecting to see any nice bucks that morning, just wanted to be outside.
I need to build a blind or stand with a roof. A neighbor got a 14 pt. because he stayed in his stand when a cold front came trough and it was windy and raining. 2 other guys got nice bucks the same evening after the cold front passed and the sun came out about 1 hour before sunset. These guys were in their blinds during the rain and wind. I don't like to hunt when its windy or raining but I know I am missing a lot of activity.
Noise doesn't always bother deer. I was out one evening along a clover plot. It was cool, clear, calm, and high pressure. Sound carried so well that evening that I could her my neighbors talking at their house about 1/2 mile away. I thought I might as well leave with the sound carrying so well. It did not bother the deer. Does and bucks came out in that field that evening and none of them even looked toward the neighbors. They were all relax eating clover while my neighbors were gabbing away.

Back