Miscanthus Giganteus

I ordered my first batch from Maple River as well. Any guidance on planting for a newbie? I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Maple river has planting advice onlone, i think. Anyway, nothing magical about it. Spray an herbicide shortly after planting but before they emerge to give them an equal playing ground with weeds. 2-4 d after they are a foot tall if you have broadleaf competition.
Plant with the nodes up (little bumps on the rhizome) about 3-4 inches deep. Stand back and watch your screen grow. :)

got my 10 individual rhizomes today

planted them in 3 gallon root pouch soiless media to see if it makes a difference in harsh texas summer

will baby them at home and plant this fall

will this work? i have no idea time will tell

bill

My 2300 showed up Tues. After work I spent a couple hours planting, same thing, Wed and then all day yesterday planting and I have 1200 in the ground. We had 3" of rain this past weekend so it was playing in the mud but its the only time I got. 70's-80's are here starting today for about 10 days so I think perfect timing. I plan on finishing the project this weekend.

Yesterday as I was planting south of the house I heard a truck pulling into the yard. It was Fed Ex. I had nothing I was expecting and thought maybe my wife had ordered something so I went to investigate. It turns out it was the exact same thing I had delivered a couple days prior from Maple Farms.

I thought wow another couple thousand, there is no way I am going to be able to plant them as the 1200 I had put in the ground the past three days had kicked my arse and I had family obligation that were going to keep me from doing much farm work after this weekend.

It turned out they had shipped me a duplicate order. Since it was after hours I called my credit card company to see if they had also charged me. Sure enough they did. I called Maple River this morning and talked with Don. He said they had really made a screw up of the order and it was all their fault. He said they would send me the receipt crediting me back that order plus cover my shipping on my other order. I thought that was very nice of them. I set the boxes out for the Fed Ex guy tonight and they will be picked up in the morning while I'm at work.

Have fun planting fellas. Can't wait to see the screens.

got my 10 individual rhizomes today

planted them in 3 gallon root pouch soiless media to see if it makes a difference in harsh texas summer

will baby them at home and plant this fall

will this work? i have no idea time will tell

bill
That should work just fine. Ive put many into pots and grew them out and they make great plants. Warning..... they will suck water this summer!

My 2300 showed up Tues. After work I spent a couple hours planting, same thing, Wed and then all day yesterday planting and I have 1200 in the ground. We had 3" of rain this past weekend so it was playing in the mud but its the only time I got. 70's-80's are here starting today for about 10 days so I think perfect timing. I plan on finishing the project this weekend.

Yesterday as I was planting south of the house I heard a truck pulling into the yard. It was Fed Ex. I had nothing I was expecting and thought maybe my wife had ordered something so I went to investigate. It turns out it was the exact same thing I had delivered a couple days prior from Maple Farms.

I thought wow another couple thousand, there is no way I am going to be able to plant them as the 1200 I had put in the ground the past three days had kicked my arse and I had family obligation that were going to keep me from doing much farm work after this weekend.

It turned out they had shipped me a duplicate order. Since it was after hours I called my credit card company to see if they had also charged me. Sure enough they did. I called Maple River this morning and talked with Don. He said they had really made a screw up of the order and it was all their fault. He said they would send me the receipt crediting me back that order plus cover my shipping on my other order. I thought that was very nice of them. I set the boxes out for the Fed Ex guy tonight and they will be picked up in the morning while I'm at work.

Have fun planting fellas. Can't wait to see the screens.
I bet your back is sore. How many rows did you plant?

Here is the difference between planting a clump and planting a single rhizome. These were planted early this spring and have just begun growth in their new homes.......

Single rhizome growth late April (new plantings will be behind established clumps in spring growth)

S4360012.JPG

Clump growth (planted this spring)

S4360010.JPG

Mix of established clumps and new rhizomes planted down this row....

S4360011.JPG

My "tunnel" in late April.....

S4360013.JPG

Stay tuned and we will see how this grass handles being underwater for a day or two. Arrrggggh!

Holy cow, this stuff grows fast. This is within 2.5 weeks:
2c8d245ad9b753b3fc98e5d2812307a3.jpg

This should be a wall that will totally block my stand entrance and exit in a few years. I planted two rows, staggered at 18":

fea5521b4398dbb0a6f515f086ed1c16.jpg

I think youre going to like it MoApe. A double row planted like that will screen you into very late fall/early winter.
Any plans for maintenance? Such as mowing in late winter? Herbicides to kill competition?

I think youre going to like it MoApe. A double row planted like that will screen you into very late fall/early winter.
Any plans for maintenance? Such as mowing in late winter? Herbicides to kill competition?

I have atrazine and 2-4,D ready to go! I need to read up on mowing etc.

Fish, You are correct on soreness but it really set in my shoulders, I even got a back and shoulder massage from my wife:D

Well, after getting 2000 in the ground and sprayed with pre emergent within 5 days of receiving them the last 300 took till yesterday as family obligations kept me away from the farm. I got those in yesterday. I will spray pre emergent on those 300 tomorrow. Rain is heavily forcasted for the next three days. I created road screens and screens to stands and for stands.

All of the screens are double rows 18=20" with 24-30 inches in between the staggered rows. One of the road screens is three rows wide.

If I had 2300 ordered I bet I had and extra 20 in each box and had 5 boxes. They were in great shape when delivered and I had a majority of the single rhizomes I ordered be multibranched, roots attached, multiple budded and covered three fourths of my hand. The vast majority of the singles were four to six inches long and as thick as my index finger. In all I was very impressed with the product from Maple River Farms and if they don't grow it won't be their fault.

I am looking forward, God willing to see what the screens look like in three years.

Planted 200 about a month ago and they're doing very well so far. Will probably plant another 200 next spring so I can double up this row.
d3d7be8bb26d6716fda431e1ce945e05.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

I received a box of stalks from a buddy on another site (Bill over on H-T) earlier in the week.....straight to water for now. I complained about having projects earlier in this thread. Most of those are done or at least to a point they require less of my time and I got a little push....so off on an adventure with MG!!!
MG.jpg

I received a box of stalks from a buddy on another site (Bill over on H-T) earlier in the week.....straight to water for now. I complained about having projects earlier in this thread. Most of those are done or at least to a point they require less of my time and I got a little push....so off on an adventure with MG!!!
View attachment 7770
J-bird, thats a nice batch of cuttings. I started some 2 weeks ago and had roots within days. I cant be for sure in the pic, but make sure the big end (bottom) of the cutting is in the water. It will be the larger diameter.

J-bird, thats a nice batch of cuttings. I started some 2 weeks ago and had roots within days. I cant be for sure in the pic, but make sure the big end (bottom) of the cutting is in the water. It will be the larger diameter.
Bill cut them pointed end down - flat end up and told me to put the pointed end in the water....They came from Bill so I assume he knows what he is doing. I assume this has something to do with their orientation when they are cut?

Bill cut them pointed end down - flat end up and told me to put the pointed end in the water....They came from Bill so I assume he knows what he is doing. I assume this has something to do with their orientation when they are cut?
Ok. Like i said. Hard to tell much in the pic. I need to get mine potted.

Momma and babe in the orchard the other morning.

S4590005.JPG

She led the little one right into the Miscanthus Giganteus.

S4590007.JPG

Nothing like training them up when they are young. :D That Miscanthus will be there for hiding behind from now (June) into next March!

S4590009.JPG

On another note, this lone clump of Miscanthus was underwater for two days the last week in April, then again a couple weeks later for less than a day. You would never know it.

S4590024.JPG

Here's the rub. This soil is very well drained. If it were wet, heavy clay, this Miscanthus couldn't survive it. But if the roots can drain, a brief flood aint gonna hurt it. :cool:

Ok. Like i said. Hard to tell much in the pic. I need to get mine potted.
Well I made a post today on my property thread, but thought I would share here as well. I noticed "growth" and have reached out to Bill for advice on what to do now. I have what appears to be roots and some have a "green horn". What I'm not sure of is those with the "horn" don't seem to have roots....that seems odd to me. all "growth" is in the first "joint" from the bottom.
MG progress.jpg

Back