Miscanthus Giganteus

Just think......under those conditions you could actually step back one day and, "Done...100% done!" Then what the hell you gonna do?!?!?!?

Thankfully it's the journey and not the destination for many of us regarding our habitat work.
With plenty of money a guy could buy a place he could work on every day and see the progress and still not be done because of the amount of land involved...I see your point though...

Someday I want to be to the point of just doing maintenance instead of big changes every year and my goal is to be there before I retire because I still have a bunch of years to work a job!

Have a bunch of goals to work toward so see lots of years of hard work to go...

Anybody else other than me seem to always be behind, and have more projects than time????:D

Is this a trick question J? LOL

Fish, your MG looks great. I got a few cuttings from Scott last year and they did great. I got on the list at Maple River for 200 rhizomes so we'll see if I made the cut to get an order this year.

Is this a trick question J? LOL

Fish, your MG looks great. I got a few cuttings from Scott last year and they did great. I got on the list at Maple River for 200 rhizomes so we'll see if I made the cut to get an order this year.
Good luck with them Weasel! Where are you planting them?

With plenty of money a guy could buy a place he could work on every day and see the progress and still not be done because of the amount of land involved...I see your point though...

Someday I want to be to the point of just doing maintenance instead of big changes every year and my goal is to be there before I retire because I still have a bunch of years to work a job!

Have a bunch of goals to work toward so see lots of years of hard work to go...
I start in January counting how many Saturdays i can use for habitat days. Theni divide the work amongst those days. If i miss one for some reason, i feel like the sky is falling. I am finally starting to relax and just do what i can.
I remember one hot summer afternoon last year i was working on Little Blue and just had to go sit in the shade. I couldnt keep moving. And i am not 25-30 years old anymore either. :D

Good luck with them Weasel! Where are you planting them?

I have an open ag field between my cabin and the woods. I need a screen to block my movements when there are beans in the ag field. Might use some around some food plots too.

Might of missed it on here but will MG grow in a wooded setting?

They prefer sun from what I understand.

Might of missed it on here but will MG grow in a wooded setting?
Ive got some in a partially shaded area and they are doing okay, but not robust growth. Wooded sounds like a mostly shaded area and i dont think thats gonna work.

In March, I performed a little maintenance on the Miscanthus Giganteus. I went through with a brush cutter blade and took down the stalks. Before the new growth popped up, I sprayed with a gly/atrazine mix. These established clumps probably don't need any herbicide.

Stalks down....

S4300004.JPG

And now in April we are well on our way to a new screen....

S4330021.JPG

S4330023.JPG

When the grass gets a little taller, I have the option of going over it with 2-4D to kill broadleaves. And I will do so on the newly planted clumps. I put in about 150 rhizomes and clumps this spring. Feel free to post pics of your grass here and how you are using it!

Planted some rhizome clusters yesterday for the first time, alittle more work, I hope it's worth it. This was about the size of most of them.

Extending the existing MG screen along with some Hybrid willows to the rock in the first pic to the quad in the second.

I reserved 200 rhizomes from Maple River last fall, but have not received any word from them on scheduling shipment. Am I getting ahead of things, or should I contact them now?

I talked with Don today(I believe the owner of Maple River farms) and he is concerned that soil is warm enough where he is going to ship them so he said he like to hold them longer than many land owners want to wait. My ship out tomorrow and heading to NE. Our soil temps are in low 60's where they are going in and rising so I am fine with getting them now. He said if planted into cool soil they will rot if it doesn't get warm enough for them to grow.

Just relaying what he told me.

I'm looking forward to getting my screens in place. Putting 2300 will be fun:)

I ordered my first batch from Maple River as well. Any guidance on planting for a newbie? I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

My first planting was a 110yd 2 row strips for screening. I tilled up the strip and sprayed it with Gly and planted them by hand with a shovel. I planted them in 2 rows 3' X 3' which ended up being a little far apart I would still keep the rows 3' apart but I would go 18"-24" apart so they filled in quicker.

My first planting was a 110yd 2 row strips for screening. I tilled up the strip and sprayed it with Gly and planted them by hand with a shovel. I planted them in 2 rows 3' X 3' which ended up being a little far apart I would still keep the rows 3' apart but I would go 18"-24" apart so they filled in quicker.

Perfect, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Planted some rhizome clusters yesterday for the first time, alittle more work, I hope it's worth it. This was about the size of most of them.

Extending the existing MG screen along with some Hybrid willows to the rock in the first pic to the quad in the second.

Scott, i think you will be happy with those clumps. Should advance growth 2-3 years. When i get a chance i will post pics of newly planted clump growth.
Thanks for posting those pics!

I talked with Don today(I believe the owner of Maple River farms) and he is concerned that soil is warm enough where he is going to ship them so he said he like to hold them longer than many land owners want to wait. My ship out tomorrow and heading to NE. Our soil temps are in low 60's where they are going in and rising so I am fine with getting them now. He said if planted into cool soil they will rot if it doesn't get warm enough for them to grow.

Just relaying what he told me.

I'm looking forward to getting my screens in place. Putting 2300 will be fun:)
They are good people Willy. Didnt know that about cool soil and rotting. Thanks!

Back