Miscanthus Giganteus

Well I made a post today on my property thread, but thought I would share here as well. I noticed "growth" and have reached out to Bill for advice on what to do now. I have what appears to be roots and some have a "green horn". What I'm not sure of is those with the "horn" don't seem to have roots....that seems odd to me. all "growth" is in the first "joint" from the bottom.
View attachment 7870
Something doesnt look right. The larger diameter end of the cutting is the bottom. That piece will go into water and roots will form around a small node there. That node becomes the "horn", which is actually the first shoot.

Check out page 1 and take a look at my rooted cuttings last year.

Last edited:
Miscanthus isn't doing too bad. I hit this with some atrazine after I took the pic. These were rhizomes planted this spring.
a07f7c8c1a8bc5df4d0d8774592cdb58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Potted mine today. So not to take over the thread - I posted pics on my property tour thread. To Fish's comment I think I had a photo flipped around. All my cuttings had "horns" and roots. 1 even had a horn at both "nodes". I'm pretty pumped!

A little over a months worth of growth.

SmALzPq.jpg

q0QrqHq.jpg

This is the middle of the screen and it's on a clay knob, I hit the whole screen this spring with some triple 19 and came back mid June to hit the middle with some urea just to see if it helped and it's 5-6' compared to the 9-10' on each end.

psErOA1.jpg

You can see the MG screen back left in this trail cam pic.

BS3rvN7.jpg

Miscanthus isn't doing too bad. I hit this with some atrazine after I took the pic. These were rhizomes planted this spring.
a07f7c8c1a8bc5df4d0d8774592cdb58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Nice Mo ape. That stuff will be screening in no time.
Potted mine today. So not to take over the thread - I posted pics on my property tour thread. To Fish's comment I think I had a photo flipped around. All my cuttings had "horns" and roots. 1 even had a horn at both "nodes". I'm pretty pumped!
No worries about hi-jacking here. Im learning too!

Nice Mo ape. That stuff will be screening in no time.

No worries about hi-jacking here. Im learning too!

I'm learning a lot from this thread, but don't want to take it over with my stuff.

I have been very impressed thus far on how easy they grew from cuttings and have taken/grown to being potted. For as much as I was concerned about it being "complicated" or requiring too much time.....thus far it's been rather simple.

A little over a months worth of growth.

SmALzPq.jpg

q0QrqHq.jpg

This is the middle of the screen and it's on a clay knob, I hit the whole screen this spring with some triple 19 and came back mid June to hit the middle with some urea just to see if it helped and it's 5-6' compared to the 9-10' on each end.

psErOA1.jpg

You can see the MG screen back left in this trail cam pic.

BS3rvN7.jpg
Ive got some MG growing in very poor soil and its doing poorly. 3 years now. Definitely affects it.

July 2017

This node is the one closest to the ground. I cut just below it and place into a jar of water. Roots like this form within 1 week.

S4610002.JPG

S4610003.JPG

I then pot them up using plain old potting soil and old pots. You can already see those nodes have become the first shoot. These went from rooted node to these shoots growing out of the soil in only days.

S4610004.JPG

S4610006.JPG

Some, maybe 20%, will grow from the top node of the cutting, as you can see here in the foreground.
S4610005.JPG

And here they are 4 weeks later. I've already killed vegetation where I intend to plant them out this fall. Next summer these will be respectable plants, well ahead of spring planted rhizomes. It requires a bit more investment for soil and time for watering, but worth it if you want a fast, capable screen.

S4770001.JPG

And years later they make a pretty picture beyond the wood stack, over the orchard, and against the tree line. :D

S4610007.JPG

Fish - I do have a question. Is it best to plant into their permanent home yet this fall or wait until spring? I need to make sure I have the proper prep work done in advance. If I have to wait until spring how should I store the potted plants?

I planted out my rooted and potted up Miscanthus Giganteus cuttings about 3 weeks ago.

S4820001.JPG

I killed a strip of vegetation earlier in the summer. It was a little dry, but I watered them in after planting and we've had good rains since then. Boy, I don't get to say that often in September!

S4820002.JPG

These 1 gallon potted plants will grow extremely fast next summer and be well on their way to blocking some of the traffic view on the bridge behind. Always wish I'd grown more. I just keep putting out around 15-20 potted plants every fall, not to mention rhizomes in the spring to fill in any gaps.

S4820004.JPG

Miscanthus Giganteus has a major screening effect on my property. Double rows are better than one after things begin to brown up. If you need screening on your property, check out this thread and see what it's about!

Back