Miscanthus Giganteus

Fish

I began planting this sterile grass 3 years ago. I am very impressed with its ability to screen. I am using it as a road screen on Little Blue because the utility will not allow a red cedar to grow anywhere near their power lines.:mad: But their killing herbicides don't affect the grass.
Miscanthus Giganteus shouldn't be confused with the more common miscanthus grasses we often see for sale in retail nurseries. I have some of that stuff in the landscaping and it has spread in places on my property. Gotta admit, I like it growing in limited spaces, but it's an invasive grass that should be avoided.
Giganteus is a better choice.

Rhizomes can be purchase on the internet and aren't too expensive. I propagate all of my rhizomes for planting out now. They will come clean of soil if ordered off the Inet.

S3020008.JPG

Clumps that I dug from the garden bed. Rhizomes can be separated and planting individually, or you can plant the clump for a much larger first year plant. It was muddy! :D

S3020009.JPG

This is the garden bed I use to grow my own rhizomes every year. I will warn you, they are a pain to dig out. but well worth the effort for free rhizomes. I never planted a single one of these. I dug out the old clumps and relied on leftover rhizomes in the ground there to grow back. They sure did.

S3580022.JPG

S3870004.JPG

Late November...

S4050003.JPG

I also propagate by cuttings..... easy and makes for a nice potted plant at summer's end. Cut a shoot just below the first node above the ground and stick into water... roots growing.

S3400033.JPG

Plant into soil. Took about 4 weeks to get these roots.

S3400036.JPG

Soon they were growing.

S3580027.JPG

And by August....

S3660019.JPG

A mass of roots in there....

S3870016.JPG

Looking good! I have a couple hundred yards of MG for screening, I hope to split some of the clusters this next spring on some 5 yr old clusters. I also have another 200+ rhizomes ordered for this next spring.

So what about screening?
They start small in the spring.
S3160023.JPG

I spray around the clumps before they begin to show with simazine and gly. This gives an established clump all it needs to dominate the spot.
Behind my stand you can see a double row of miscanthus that I used to walk in to my stand. Completely screens the road and my truck here.

S3980006.JPG

Road frontage on the Home 10. I use it in conjunction with pines and cedars here.

S3860015.JPG

S3670020.JPG

Late November...

S4050009.JPG

One single clump growing in old field setting....

S3320006.JPG

I will get some better pics of my screening on Little Blue. I have plenty more to plant along the roadway and some fill in needed in last year's planting. I'd like to know how others are using this grass and their results.

Last edited:
Looking good! I have a couple hundred yards of MG for screening, I hope to split some of the clusters this next spring on some 5 yr old clusters. I also have another 200+ rhizomes ordered for this next spring.

Scott, was it you who posted on rooting cuttings on the other forum? I stole that idea from over there. :)

Scott, was it you who posted on rooting cuttings on the other forum? I stole that idea from over there. :)
Actually it was Bill, I copied it from him. Making cutting from the stalks is easy and cheap way to propagate MG. I have some cuttings that I'm trying to over winter in 1 gal rootmaker pots this year, first time.

My reason for potting is experimental. I wanted some heavy plants to line the east end of my bottoms next spring. We usually get a spring flood and i will plant directly after in hopes of getting them established before the next flood.
Sunlight is limited there, so i will be cherry picking those spots and hopefully i can drop a few more trees this winter.

Pretty versatile grass to work with, I've experimented with different ways to use it other than screening.

A couple years ago I planted a 8' circle of MG to put a ground blind in in the future well this year was the future and it worked out great. THe blind is off the ground 3'.

This was my first sit in the blind, I trimmed the MG after this sit.

This is another one of those "to do" items for me. I want to try to use this stuff to screen some plots and blinds and the like. But like most things, I seem to run behind and it just hasn't happened yet. I still have a set of elevator brackets to improve a shooting house from last year that I need to get on.....:rolleyes:

Fish - how long does it take to go from a cutting/rhizome to getting a useful "clump" for screening? Just curious.

would this stuff grow in texas heat?

anyone with experience in texas?

bill
With adequate moisture i think they would love the heat. They are tough plants. Maybe try a handful of rhizomes the first year. Once established, it would take a substantial dry spell to kill them.
Anybody down south using them?

This is another one of those "to do" items for me. I want to try to use this stuff to screen some plots and blinds and the like. But like most things, I seem to run behind and it just hasn't happened yet. I still have a set of elevator brackets to improve a shooting house from last year that I need to get on.....:rolleyes:

Fish - how long does it take to go from a cutting/rhizome to getting a useful "clump" for screening? Just curious.
From my experience, it's all about growing conditions that first year. You can see in my garden bed pics where i propogate them that they are screening very well in the first year. That would mean planting 18" apart, controlling competition, and adequate rainfall.
After they get a foot or two tall, you can eliminate broadleaves with 2-4D and spray over them. Before growth emerges, use atrazine or simazine. I spray gly also to kill cool season grasses and winter weeds before they begin to pop.
My double row planted 6 feet apart provides great stand access as i walk between the rows. I will post pics when i get back to the property.

That's cool. I have wanted to use some of this to screen a road and a few plots and stands and I think it would work great for that. Like I said it is on "the list" but tends to never make it to the top. Have you had any experience with it regarding how it handles short term flooding? 95% of the applications I have for it are in a more upland type setting, but one is in a flood plain and occasionally floods for short spurts in the spring time. I also like how you have a garden to produce your own stock to promote your own projects - I may try something similar and start with a small project and then expand it's application over time. How tall of an actual screen do you get? I'm sure you get some real tall seed heads and the like, but as far as a true screen is concerned - how of effective screen are you getting? I see pics on the internet that show 10 feet plus, but I doubt that is typical.

The main place I am looking at for rhizomes is Maple River......you have any other suggestions? I would be looking at getting several dozen as I want a wall so planting on a 18" center won't go too far.

The main place I am looking at for rhizomes is Maple River......you have any other suggestions? I would be looking at getting several dozen as I want a wall so planting on a 18" center won't go too far.

that is where I got mine last year.....I think I ordered 250 or something like that. I was pleased with their survival in general. I would say I got about 75% to take. Most are over 7-8 ft tall the first year....although it is just a stalk or two and thus not a "wall" yet.

That's cool. I have wanted to use some of this to screen a road and a few plots and stands and I think it would work great for that. Like I said it is on "the list" but tends to never make it to the top. Have you had any experience with it regarding how it handles short term flooding? 95% of the applications I have for it are in a more upland type setting, but one is in a flood plain and occasionally floods for short spurts in the spring time. I also like how you have a garden to produce your own stock to promote your own projects - I may try something similar and start with a small project and then expand it's application over time. How tall of an actual screen do you get? I'm sure you get some real tall seed heads and the like, but as far as a true screen is concerned - how of effective screen are you getting? I see pics on the internet that show 10 feet plus, but I doubt that is typical.

I'm not sure about the short term flooding but I don't think it will do good, I've heard they don't think wet feet. What I've seen is you will get the 8-10' height if you have good soil, my one 110 yd screen both ends are 10" tall and the middle is 4-5' tall. The middle is a clay knob and not as good of soil but it still works as a screen at this height.

West end

Middle

I've also tried to plant some into a switch grass screen so there was no prep done here I just threw them in here in the spring and walked away,

I'm not sure about the short term flooding but I don't think it will do good, I've heard they don't think wet feet. What I've seen is you will get the 8-10' height if you have good soil, my one 110 yd screen both ends are 10" tall and the middle is 4-5' tall. The middle is a clay knob and not as good of soil but it still works as a screen at this height.

West end

Middle

I've also tried to plant some into a switch grass screen so there was no prep done here I just threw them in here in the spring and walked away,

One of the areas I have in mind drains well and doesn't have ANY clay, it's just in a flood plain where it will eventually see brief periods of being underwater in the early spring on occasion.......for all I know the grass may still be dormant when it happens. If I get arounf to it - I will try a small spot first and see how it does before I go crazy with it there.

Mine screen a good 8 ft tall. Seed heads are as advertised. Tall! After 3 years the tunnel is perfect at 36" spacing. I started with Maple River rhizomes and you are right, they dont go far.
I have a few clumps that have handled 1-2 day flooding. But minimal plantings there to say for sure. The others dont get inundated. The flooding aspect is something i am focusing on more as i plant this grass into a part of the bottoms that is well drained, but floods 1-2 times a year.

One of the areas I have in mind drains well and doesn't have ANY clay, it's just in a flood plain where it will eventually see brief periods of being underwater in the early spring on occasion.......for all I know the grass may still be dormant when it happens. If I get arounf to it - I will try a small spot first and see how it does before I go crazy with it there.
As i said, i have a few clumps planted into well drained soil that does see spring flooding. The miscanthus is doing well. Better if i provided weed control there.

Why not use willows in the wet areas? Let a plant that wants to be there do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
I do have willows growing. But the screening that miscanthus provides is superior. On soil that stays wet for a month in the spring, i say forget miscanthus giganteus. The well drained soil is found closer to the actual creek/ river where the heavier particles fall out of the floodwaters. Further out, the finer particles drop out (clay) and those soils tend to hold water a long time.

Back