LED headlamp recomendations

bigbluetruck

Getting my pack ready for season and found out that my old headlamp gave up the ghost. So now I'm looking for a new one, with the price and light output an LED one is a no brainer, so what do you guys like?

Getting my pack ready for season and found out that my old headlamp gave up the ghost. So now I'm looking for a new one, with the price and light output an LED one is a no brainer, so what do you guys like?

Honestly the best headlamp light I've had for a while is a Walmart special. With advent of LEDs, hard to have a bad one. I also have a handheld Protect Slider from bass pro. It's nice in that it is bright, and has a sliding grip that opens a second, long light exposed that good for gutting deer in the dark. It also has the clawed end for self defense. I also have as a gift from my coon hunting buddy a NOXX brand headlamp that has a battery pack and zoom headlamp. very very bright. I think it is about 65$.

Now with all that said, anyone who know about light wavelengths, will find an old school, non led light best for bloodtracking a deer. It gives best color and easier to pick up the blood trail. May not seem as bright as an LED, and it isn't, but will actually work better in trailing. Think how natural light gives better color in photo where the other extreme would be florescent gives poorest pictures. All do to wave length and so called warmth of light.

Well I suggest you do some research on LED's themselves for the following reasons:
1. Light COLOR is very important to get the deffinition in the setting you are in ...some color lights up blood and others black it out
some colors will nicely contrast the color buckskin in brown leaves and others won't
2. Brightness ...or better ...understanding Lumes and if they will work for you ..is high bright enough etc
3. Length of battery life (I don't use a headlight but I have found the best pocket size flashlight with the best battery life uses 2 each
Number 123 batteries) and I carry a couple of #123 spares ...so fresh in the light and the spares will allow me to track far more hours than
I have in me endurance wise
4. Last beware of shadow casting LED's ...the cheap ones just don't get all of the diode structure out of the way of the light emission

Once you figure out which LED series and battery configuration you want you can then search for the headlight that has your specs covered

Good luck to you

Bear

What light color would be good for blood trailing? I too am in the market for a new headlamp. I have tried to figure out which light color to get but would like a recommendation from someone else who knows what they are talking about.

I was going to share my Browning LED light model with you but it is no longer in their lineup ...I am no expert and did the research 3 or so years ago but pretty sure the straight white light color and the CR123A X 2 seemed to be the best life/light combo ...I am including a few places to educate yourself with ....I am pretty sure i set 350 Lumens as my minimum to search/see a deer down in the woods ....I do not use this light as I have spected to you for anything but deer tracking / recovery ....for moving in dark to/from stand I use a simple green clip on cap bill led

http://www.pisang-best-flashlight.com/archives/239

http://www.princetontec.com/apex-pro .....this light seems to have the LED/light color/battery pack that i recall

Good luck
Bear

Back