Late Freeze???

THE LLC

Well I thought this would be the year I didn't have to deal with this crap, but nope. Never got below 39 degrees according to the official temp, but by ned it got colder at the farm. Check out what it did to my chestnut trees in the lower areas. Dang it. This is the kind of crap Triple C is always dealing with with his pear trees. Amazes me how none of the native cherry, persimmon, and sweetgums growing within 20 feet of these ever get affected.

Freeze Damage - Chestnut (Dad's Plot) 4-13-20.jpg

It was 30 here last night, 32 tonight, 27 tomorrow night and everything was already in full on leaf out so we are getting ready to have fall all over again...

Snow falling right now on my blooming apple trees. Forecast of 28 tonight. That will probably get the ones in the low areas but I have hope for the ridges.

Slight temp differences are critical in apple and pear survival. Three degrees can make a difference between losing 10% and 90%.

Freeze warning for tonight. I have peaches and pears blooming. Apples, not quite, but close.

Well I thought this would be the year I didn't have to deal with this crap, but nope. Never got below 39 degrees according to the official temp, but by ned it got colder at the farm. Check out what it did to my chestnut trees in the lower areas. Dang it. This is the kind of crap Triple C is always dealing with with his pear trees. Amazes me how none of the native cherry, persimmon, and sweetgums growing within 20 feet of these ever get affected.

View attachment 18564
Well...For the first time since planting in 2011 - 2013, my pears are loaded. But, this past saturday morning I had frost on the ground up at the cabin which is the highest point of the property. Pears looked ok when I left on sunday so hoping for my 1st bumper crop of pears this fall. As for the apple trees we grafted, should be producing real soon.

Hope you get by. My pears, apples, and peaches appear fine. How about a picture of those grafted trees?

Just checked at my farm at lunch today:

• All chestnut leaves are completely toast. Will crumble like a cracker in your hand.
  • All persimmon leaves are completely toast, but about 1/2 had not leaved out yet.
  • Sawtooth leaves and blooms completely fried. Native oaks as well.
  • Leaves ok on apples and pears and looks like there will be a chance for some low fruit survival. However, pretty bad.
  • Sweet Gums had no damage and seem to be invigorated and even gained ground from the freeze. Growing like crazy and extremely healthy.

Sweet Gums had no damage and seem to be invigorated and even gained ground from the freeze. Growing like crazy and extremely healthy.

That does help make it better:) Sounds like my place.

On a side note, I was able to order 25 bare root sawtooth oaks from KS state nursery for 17.50 delivered to plant in place of those Native Nursery ones that got smoked by frost the first night after being planted.

Good luck on your trees.

Had some frost damage in North MS. The newly leafed out persimmons seemed to be hit the worst.

d4e9a97d25d4d9684c3ecfdec3863816.jpg

d989ca349e9e98554c2c3099618e6af9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Persimmon
v556dVa.jpg

Chestnut
XOY3KnO.jpg

Example of hard hit pear
qrO8HEn.jpg

On a brighter note, my trees at home were not hit quite as hard. I think there will be plenty of apples and pears there.

That does help make it better:) Sounds like my place.

On a side note, I was able to order 25 bare root sawtooth oaks from KS state nursery for 17.50 delivered to plant in place of those Native Nursery ones that got smoked by frost the first night after being planted.

Good luck on your trees.

Good luck to you too Willy.

Last edited:

View attachment 18564

I’m in Missouri and I have planted about 250 chestnut trees . I’m wondering if the damage you are showing kills the trees ?

Mine seem to flower later than any fruit tree . What is your damage ? Sorry just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Three days of snow and sub freezing temps. Apples in full bloom, loaded more than usual. Two things saved them, wind and coating of snow protecting blooms. Temps back up to 60s today so hopefully bees will get their work done before chance is lost. Won't be to farm until Saturday to check on Pears which were past bloom. Being on ridge top I expect the wind saved them too. Good luck guys, sorry for your losses. Sux. Our hard mast will begin pollinating in a few weeks, hopefully they do well. Last freeze here is average mid May.

Where we live and most of our ground is highest around but Wednesday morning it was 27...
4244b2d5a00916127066bbb946620948.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back