Late Freeze???

This has been the last 7 days lows

28, 22, 43, 30, 23, 20, and 20. I don't think much fruit is going to happen here this year on my pear trees. The 70's and one 88 degree day prior to the freezes made them blow up in bloom but I think they will be black at the end of this.

We did end the cycle with 7 inches of snow. It is a beautiful winter wonderland out there today with the sun shining.

This has been the last 7 days lows

28, 22, 43, 30, 23, 20, and 20. I don't think much fruit is going to happen here this year on my pear trees. The 70's and one 88 degree day prior to the freezes made them blow up in bloom but I think they will be black at the end of this.

We did end the cycle with 7 inches of snow. It is a beautiful winter wonderland out there today with the sun shining.

Yep, I saw it...
a8cdb34612bf24b2ac3c156f9bdff13d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many Pennsylvania crops, including a lot of strawberries, vegetables, fruit and nut trees are going to be a total loss after the heavy freeze last night. This comes on top of the earlier April frosts that had already wiped out some of our stuff. We went turkey hunting in heavy snow flurries with a high of 43⁰ today, which was a first for me. Needless to say, the turkeys weren't impressed with the bitter weather either.

Yea this is getting old real quick. Deck covered in snow this morn and more flurries for Sunday night. Weather finally breaks by Wed. Newer pear trees have leaves burned from last month of subfreezing. Lost 3 apple trees it appears, others are fine, looks like one of my chestnuts did not survive the winter/spring/Covid. April was the 3rd coldest and wettest on record.

High today was 28....snow and high winds as well. Hoping the freeze will help with all the clover I overseeded a couple weeks ago. Fruit trees haven’t really started budding yet so no worries about our apples. I am looking forward to warmer weather. Forecasts suggest temps in the 60s end of next week.

Got down to 30.1 degrees by 1am last night with another freeze warning for tonight. And then it is back to planting what’s left. Like yours Tom, our wild apples and pears have not blossomed yet. Serviceberry bloom just ended and the pear bloom usually follows a few days later. Hoping it does.

Got down to 30.1 degrees by 1am last night with another freeze warning for tonight. And then it is back to planting what’s left. Like yours Tom, our wild apples and pears have not blossomed yet. Serviceberry bloom just ended and the pear bloom usually follows a few days later. Hoping it does.

That amazes me. Our apples have already set fruit. The pears are big as golf balls already. Amazing the difference in 900 miles. And, we’re in the 90’s this weekend.

FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT
THURSDAY IN CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA

* WHAT...Temperatures in the mid 30s could result in frost
formation.

* WHERE...Warren, Cameron, Northern Clinton, Northern Lycoming,
Southern Lycoming, Montour, Columbia and Schuylkill Counties.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 8 AM EDT Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Frost could kill sensitive outdoor vegetation if
left uncovered.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The frost will occur mainly in valley
locations.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Take steps now to protect tender plants and vegetation from the
cold. Potted plants should be brought inside.

Back