It’s go time!!

Creek chub

Here in VA, it’s been a wet July and rain is forecasted for next week too.

I know it’s early but I’m going to start on my fall plots tomorrow. One plot is new and previously forested with a small amount of laurels. I’ve already hit the area 3 times with gly and crossbow. Tomorrow I’ll blow the leaves off, lime, fertilize and drag it real good. Then broadcast crimson clover and oats. I’d prefer WR but the local feed store doesn’t have any in yet.

Time permitting, I may seed another plot with Pennington winter greens or white clover.

Enjoy your weekend men!

Curious are you going to drag it good then spread your oat seed then pack it and then spread your clover?

Take pics and good luck!

Curious are you going to drag it good then spread your oat seed then pack it and then spread your clover?

Take pics and good luck!
I’ll probably broadcast lime, fertilizer and the oats and then drag with a weighted drag behind the 4 wheeler. Then broad cast the clover and drive over it all to pack it down. I don’t own a cultipacker but even if I did I couldn’t get one to this plot.

I’ll probably broadcast lime, fertilizer and the oats and then drag with a weighted drag behind the 4 wheeler. Then broad cast the clover and drive over it all to pack it down. I don’t own a cultipacker but even if I did I couldn’t get one to this plot.
You couldn't tow it w the wheeler? I'm really starting to think I need one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You couldn't tow it w the wheeler? I'm really starting to think I need one.

I guess it would be possible to haul one in. I have a cart that I use to haul firewood out of the woods with. I don’t know a lot about them and suspect it would need to be fairly heavy to pack the ground. If a small one is made I could horse it around and use it. My drag weighs 100# so it’s doable but not a lot of fun to man handle it

Dang. I ain’t man handling one of those in VA mountain land.
Tractor supply has one that weighs 308# and has 13” tires for transport to plots. That would work for me on most of my plots with the exception of two new ones on high ridges with minimal access trails. I’m leaning to keep these two spots non accessible by atv for seclusion purposes for the big bucks

Tractor supply has one that weighs 308# and has 13” tires for transport to plots. That would work for me on most of my plots with the exception of two new ones on high ridges with minimal access trails. I’m leaning to keep these two spots non accessible by atv for seclusion purposes for the big bucks
That's the one ive been eyeing .

It’s a nice piece of equipment. From what I’ve read, cultipacked plots have a higher germination rate. I guess in the long run, it’d probably pay for itself.
You should buy it and I'll run down to Virginia and borrow it from you LOL

Here in VA, it’s been a wet July and rain is forecasted for next week too.

I know it’s early but I’m going to start on my fall plots tomorrow. One plot is new and previously forested with a small amount of laurels. I’ve already hit the area 3 times with gly and crossbow. Tomorrow I’ll blow the leaves off, lime, fertilize and drag it real good. Then broadcast crimson clover and oats. I’d prefer WR but the local feed store doesn’t have any in yet.

Time permitting, I may seed another plot with Pennington winter greens or white clover.

Enjoy your weekend men!
See my post in the other thread about planting clovers now. Either way, why not throw in some white clovers? white clovers are perineal and will come back for another 3-5 years. Crimson is good for a couple months max and though they can reseed, its very, very, very little

I'm with Creek, your plot would have to be really smooth for that to work well. I built a nice roller, used it twice, and went back to my tire drag. I finally bought a cultipacker last year to use for small seeds that I broadcast on top.

Back