House and Habitat build thread:

catscratch

Another Farm House build thread:

I had wanted to continue my house build and habitat thread from the other site but didn't want to mess with transferring it all over here, so I'm linking it to the mirrored thread that I had going at AT. I'll add all my new stuff to this one...

efc019e4b7e28b0d6cc096d05cbde8c6.jpg
aa536359b4c1b4527c71a385fb912fe9.jpg

Millet is heading out really well and my home grown Chinese Chestnuts, switchgrass, and Sawtooths will be ready for fall planting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Picked up a load of 6in T&G for the basement ceiling.
644a5a50b64a9f4ecab9c50a7630c8f3.jpg

Walls are getting close to ready for paint:
7b5f74db3a708a1e9325368e9f32f9d9.jpg

This land is a working cattle ranch. About 90 days ago 321 steers were shipped in for summer pasture. We shipped them out over the last couple of days with the last load going out this morning... all but one. The one that jumped the loading alley wall right before going into the trailer. The one that pranced down to the creek and woods with his ears and tail up in F*** You manner. The one that is going to cost more time and effort than the other 320 combined.

This land is a working cattle ranch. About 90 days ago 321 steers were shipped in for summer pasture. We shipped them out over the last couple of days with the last load going out this morning... all but one. The one that jumped the loading alley wall right before going into the trailer. The one that pranced down to the creek and woods with his ears and tail up in F*** You manner. The one that is going to cost more time and effort than the other 320 combined.

He sounds like dinner.

Lol. I had a cow once that was wild and crazy as hell. She crashed through gates, broke fences, and led others with her when trying to rotate pasture. She would jump anything! The boys and I decided to go on a hunt and fill the freezer with hamburger. The day before our hunt she followed the feed truck right into the pens and loaded up for the sale barn. I was a little disappointed!

Played that game before, keeps you honest as to who is in charge. Liking the rehash of the thread. I hunt a couple farms with 300+ head and it can sometimes make a tree sit interesting. Good stuff.

Notice the sunflowers that are shorter than the rest and pointing a different direction, they are the plants that were heavily browsed earlier.
9772e69ca2dcd15790ff311f8f5f3ecc.jpg

5b1a90eed96ef811a1b51d70fec47443.jpg

By the looks of the millet and sunflowers it looks like Kansas is doing well in the rain department!

House work looks top notch! When does school start for you?

Not to rub it in, but we've had a great summer of rain. Best I can remember in a long time.
Thanks on the house work compliment. It been a lot of work.
We start on Monday kids start on Wednesday, and sports start practice on the following Monday.

My deer absolutely love young sunflower plants. Last year I included them in my fall annual plants. Great hit with the deer until they died with the first freeze. Plot looks great.

Love the story of the one steer that jumped the fence. Been there, done that a number of times, and usually my Dad blamed it on me!!

I think everyone who have worked with cattle has a similar story. :)

Installed some cabinets, countertops, and added some color to the walls today.
8173ff7073215ce14328443fc73ad687.jpg
0fee62f799c0e7ba4e2b84dd8b4f4d2c.jpg

729b958743a32224037c365ed5681001.jpg
e8bf2f637b3023507b949bafc76cb789.jpg

The countertops weren't quite installed yet, spent the better part of a couple of hours lining them up, shiming them, and bolting them down. My drink doesn't spill when I take my hand off so it's good!

Hit the supermarket and bought a little bit of every bean I could find. Like Jack, I'm always looking for that magic bean so to speak. At just over a dollar a pound I'm not out much if none do the trick. I want something that is easy and handles the cold well. I'll do the rag test for germination, plant a row of each in the yard, and the rest will get spread into the fall plots.
97b030a42d49ecda7066ae52a8c562fa.jpg

Unless there are some winter peas in that mix I don't think they are going to handle the cold but any of those should be an excellent early season draw-if you get decent germination.

Keep us updated on your grocery store food plot!

I don't expect anything magical, but you never know if you don't try. I'll make my test plot and see what happens.

Hit the supermarket and bought a little bit of every bean I could find. Like Jack, I'm always looking for that magic bean so to speak. At just over a dollar a pound I'm not out much if none do the trick. I want something that is easy and handles the cold well. I'll do the rag test for germination, plant a row of each in the yard, and the rest will get spread into the fall plots.
97b030a42d49ecda7066ae52a8c562fa.jpg

That's a great idea! I may have to try that...

Counter tops look great! Is this the basement you guys are finishing out?

Back