Hawggardville

Nice! I think I might go that route too. Do you think that will constrict airflow around the base of the tree and if so any negative effects?
I did something like this several years ago and didn't have an issue. That's the way I did the biggest all American I have.

Here's my multi variety pear. Looks like they all took too!
I used leftover scions to change the wild pear to something useful.
01c2d6cf5cb5d2bcc6650fa53bbe07f4.jpg
a801f640faee6ff7ba3de2ae5e497589.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
I also did another, but made all the grafts with maxine.

Those wild pears can be nice sometimes the one I grafted last year grew like crazy bet it's 10ft tall after one season. I'm off work Friday hopefully get some more done then. Also going to check out a local chestnut orchard of TACF KY chapter close to me I think they are going to let me manage and maintain it. Also grafting some Americans for them that has been found surviving in Kentucky.

Went up to the farms yesterday for work and a little play time too. Had two of the boys join me when they got out of class so we could get some fishing in.
The copperheads are out, box turtles too.
679bb8230cc10881cba99265c3c891a3.jpg
8537f62cb395f83d44401df375ab0f63.jpg
d228ea108521da1871e6937185ef1b0c.jpg

I mowed our bean plot from last year down and worked on reclaiming more of the old pasture. May cut the gum trees or tordon them.
Plan on spraying roundup on the plot next week then hopefully planting the next.
Got a few dayton apples over here.
00c029c2ee227bade2f76888416723bb.jpg
348bbf2b835eee1ba279cd52de4c0012.jpg
1add503c3d066af8dbc4d765e24e8a45.jpg

That "multi" pear tree is AWESOME and your place looks great!
Always thought the copperhead was the prettiest snake around.
And channel cat is my favorite fish of all time to catch and eat.
You're doing great!

Black locusts make great rot resistant posts when the bark is peeled. I am in the midwest and we used to spend winters cutting black locust for others, peel with a draw knife, and used for Vineyard trellis end posts. If there are any vineyards around, they may be interested in cutting some of your locusts. In my neck of the woods, there arent alot around, so there is some small demand for them (5 to 10" diameter range)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Black locusts make great rot resistant posts when the bark is peeled. I am in the midwest and we used to spend winters cutting black locust for others, peel with a draw knife, and used for Vineyard trellis end posts. If there are any vineyards around, they may be interested in cutting some of your locusts. In my neck of the woods, there arent alot around, so there is some small demand for them (5 to 10" diameter range)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I would gladly supply them with all they wanted! The closest ones I know of are in the western part of the state though. Those things are pretty tough and sprout everywhere.

That "multi" pear tree is AWESOME and your place looks great!
Always thought the copperhead was the prettiest snake around.
And channel cat is my favorite fish of all time to catch and eat.
You're doing great!
Lol! I put Asian, European, and Perry pears on that tree.

I have to say the only copperhead I think would be pretty is a hide on a board
I don't kill them unless it's by running them over without seeing them. I'd like to think they help with the voles, which are much more troublesome to me at least.
The cottonmouths are another story, no free pass on them.

luckily about the only poisonous snake I have close is prairie rattler and they are around 6 miles from me.I know people that have been bit by copperheads and a guy bit by prairie rattler.Not nice

luckily about the only poisonous snake I have close is prairie rattler and they are around 6 miles from me.I know people that have been bit by copperheads and a guy bit by prairie rattler.Not nice
I do make it a point to wear snake boots up there too. It helps my confidence when I'm out at night or in tall grass.

My daughter and i were both hunting Oryx at White sands missile base in New mexico and you could hear the rattlesnakes kick off and start rattling just driving by.We had snake chaps but you stayed awake when walking for sure.

I like the multi pear...I need to do that with some callery pear popping up on our other place...
We have Rattlesnakes, Cottonmouth, and Copperheads around us...

I like the multi pear...I need to do that with some callery pear popping up on our other place...
We have Rattlesnakes, Cottonmouth, and Copperheads around us...
They are growing very well too. Not sure about how fireblight resistant the Perry pears are, but the tree is isolated at the back of the 80 right on a Ridge where the deer run.
If anything we'll be able to report on their resistance here and satisfy the grin people.
Oh, and snakes, they keep you on your toes too I see!

No more pics of poisonous snakes please I live and let live but still don't like the copper or rattler. Rattlers are actually becoming slightly endangered. The DNR here wants residents to contact them when seen and their location, and a pic! Now we all know most people barely know how to function in the woods, and I can only see snakebites from people taking selfies of snakes. Not good. I really liked the multi grafted tree. Cool.

IMG_1351_zps1leurpy0.jpg

I really like this direct seeding so far we put some in the woods after cutting some smaller trees. The 15 we planted 13 of them show life looks like something got a couple of them one even broke the styrofoam cup off. I'm guessing it was a squirrel but could have been anything.

Great job on the pear, very neat. Spent my whole life in the woods in PA & Ohio and have only seen one poisonous snake (copperhead), and that was at a buddy's place in southern Ohio. Perfectly ok with me! Ha ha.

Back