Frosty Berseem...

birdgunner

I was dead set on trying this but a friend has me rethinking things.
I am intrigued by Frosty for use as a nurse and cover crop (nurse as a mix with oats and ww for a new Durana planting and cover for a new field until it will get tilled in spring), biomass and N fixation look good and it is claimed to be the most palatable of clovers, anyone have any insight if it is worth the premium or should I just stick with red clover?

Mississippi State Univ has done some food plot comparison with frosty berseem....results were favorable in terms of fall growth and deer use....do a google search. I would stick with what has worked for you in the past and then tweak it......add some frosty with red clover and see...both have same growth habit and tolerate nurse crops. Berseem should do well in some soils where alfalfa fails, but both are susceptible to the same general insect pests. IT is just one of those things you need to plant and monitor over several years.

Over a multi year period we use very diverse mixes of clovers in our fall blends and monitor what works....white clovers (medium and ladinos), arrowleaf, crimson, balansa, and yellow sweet have been the most promising (only have 1 year of balance so use due caution). If wanting high N fixation specifically, then 6-10 lbs hairy vetch are added to the mix.....HV does it's thing in mid-spring in terms of biomass at mid to full bloom.....clover does it's thing fall and late winter and early spring. Results in your area and under your management may differ.

We planted Frosty Berseem in May in former brassica plots with oats as a cover crop (we'll till it under for our grain portion of the LC mix). Use and growth has been satisfactory but I wouldn't say it's been any more attractive than RC. Rather than paying shipping for Berseem again, I'm likely to just use RC. It grows well here, attracts well, and will survive our harsh winters giving me more flexibility.

Dgallow- Always appreciate the infinite wisdom you share. The trial reviews I came across and TIB were what had "sold" me on incorporating this particular cultivar but the lack of real world reports is what made me second guess things which ties in perfectly with Elkaddict, thanks for sharing your experience. More times than not I have "over thought" things in attempt to convince myself some of the more unique cultivars would provide something more tangible than surrounding offerings...it is always fun to experiment and I hope I always continue to have that inquisitive nature but as I mature I am also recognizing there are some things that are tried and true for a reason and just plain work and not to "over think it".
Thank you both for the info.

Back