Foodplotting In The Mountains...The Sequel

Never ever get in a hurry when dealing with heavy equipment. I’ve heard that, preached that, practice that since coming out of high school and first running heavy equipment on road construction. But sometimes the mind goes in to neutral if not careful.
So last fall I was rushing to get some seed down and grasses sprayed before the logger was to become active on the farm. I needed to remove the brush hog and attach my sprayer and feeder. It was cold an nasty so I first tried to do so in the barn but could not get the quick hitch to release on the unlevel floor. Aggravated after 3 attempts , I finally pulled tractor our of the barn and do as I usually do, backed over to a level place I typically unhook equipment.

I lowered the 3 point, released the attachment levers, and hopped back on to tractor. And you know what I did, pulled away without detaching mower drive shaft from pto. Of course the 2 sections separated and I should’ve looked back and checked everything as I moved but did not. First mistake.

I then pulled over to barn, turned and began to back up, but the tractor wheels spun. I thought ,well its been raining for 2 weeks but I didn’t think it was that wet, and threw the JD in 4wd. Looking back toward barn but in my stupidity, not looking down to check the 3 point I simply backed her in to the barn. In the process the shaft dug a nice trench along the ground until it bent under the tractor. I Jumped out to hook up my sprayer, and there was the front section of the mower drive shaft still attached to the PTO and bent up under the tractor. I cursed myself and my idiotic actions for the next 15 minutes as I wrestled to get the shaft disconnected from the drive.

Luckily it is a fairly cheap part but should have never happened. I’ve shared the story repeatedly to others that use equipment as there is nothing better than laughing, or cussing oneself .

Do Not Get in A Hurry!

Btw, notice the rototiller that has not left the barn 9 years since going T&M in plantings. Should put it up for sale I suppose.

C552A9EF-0860-4A1A-97CA-01C87AFFFFED.jpeg5AECD722-BC94-44A6-9C71-28CE8258585D.jpeg

Last edited:
Never ever get in a hurry when dealing with heavy equipment. I’ve heard that, preached that, practice that since coming out of high school and first running heavy equipment on road construction. But sometimes the mind goes in to neutral if not careful.
So last fall I was rushing to get some seed down and grasses sprayed before the logger was to become active on the farm. I needed to remove the brush hog and attach my sprayer and feeder. It was cold an nasty so I first tried to do so in the barn but could not get the quick hitch to release on the unlevel floor. Aggravated after 3 attempts , I finally pulled tractor our of the barn and do as I usually do, backed over to a level place I typically unhook equipment.

I lowered the 3 point, released the attachment levers, and hopped back on to tractor. And you know what I did, pulled away without detaching mower drive shaft from pto. Of course the 2 sections separated and I should’ve looked back and checked everything as I moved but did not. First mistake.

I then pulled over to barn, turned and began to back up, but the tractor wheels spun. I thought ,well its been raining for 2 weeks but I didn’t think it was that wet, and threw the JD in 4wd. Looking back toward barn but in my stupidity, not looking down to check the 3 point I simply backed her in to the barn. In the process the shaft dug a nice trench along the ground until it bent under the tractor. I Jumped out to hook up my sprayer, and there was the front section of the mower drive shaft still attached to the PTO and bent up under the tractor. I cursed myself and my idiotic actions for the next 15 minutes as I wrestled to get the shaft disconnected from the drive.

Luckily it is a fairly cheap part but should have never happened. I’ve shared the story repeatedly to others that use equipment as there is nothing better than laughing, or cussing oneself .

Do Not Get in A Hurry!

Btw, notice the rototiller that has not left the barn 9 years since going T&M in plantings. Should put it up for sale I suppose.

View attachment 25283View attachment 25284
I know that feeling, I've done many similar things that bent some metal and smashed some fingers. When I'm working with equipment I always try to remind myself that the bigger the piece of equipment, the bigger the potential damages will be from not paying attention to every little detail. Anymore, my two main defenses against damages are; "always allow for a margin of error" and "just slow down a bit".

A few pics before the logger moves back in to remove Red Oak. Those prices are still suppressed for RO but I’m letting him take the timber anyway. In these pics the canopy was completely blocking any sunlight to the ground and only shade tolerant non hard mast trees were able to sprout. Regeneration of a more rounded understory has begun with even multiple sproutings of hard mast trees to be found.
I basically cut 16” dbh and larger with a minimum of 2-3 mature oaks left/acre. In selected areas ,each about 2-4 acres, I allowed the logger to remove as much and any size he wanted to recreate my Clusters.

This process is eliminating my need of my Random Clusters I have made over the last 13 years to promote buck movement within the property. I allowed heavy, almost a clear cutting of selective areas where my Clusters existed so with their regrowth, the same attraction will still occur as before. I saw more daytime buck movement last hunting season while the timbering was in motion than I would have ever expected. The buck fight I videoed and posted on here was such an example with more than a dozen buck options within one afternoon sit.

186C6081-6090-495F-A7B2-73E95898CDF0.jpeg8B3AB8EB-CE52-40A3-BDF6-FC13A48887E6.jpeg1F565D6F-2EAA-47E8-9B70-15D7BBD8E922.jpeg98AEA281-3591-4902-93B3-4691D177DFA9.jpegBCBE2026-4700-4C1F-937E-70BDABF162C7.jpeg9EB1F8E6-678E-4046-A74D-3214186A2469.jpeg8EC5045F-B2C2-43B5-AB38-9F0259324E54.jpeg66E2B334-CFCD-4F23-AE87-E8F93EC5E3CF.jpeg

Took the tent and the 3yo grandpup and camped the farm couple weeks ago. Not sure who had more fun, he or me, or his dad. Wieners and marshmallows on an open fire with a little smoke and cinder mixed in, doesn’t get any better.
Logger moving in next week if the roads will dry up some. Crop fields are doing well, they be liking the rain.
A73E3378-EB9E-40F6-AFDD-EDAE64671578.jpeg23B2E6A9-F8F4-4386-B8A7-E3ED2370C6A5.jpegDAEC3ACC-B118-43BC-BE9D-BA9752C9E1D5.jpegEAA6DACC-693F-4392-ABC2-E9A41DCC9906.jpeg

Speaking of the logging, few more pics different areas. These were canopied areas and you can see the multitude of green growth from woody brush sprouts to new oak seedlings. The last pic shows how I red painted any trees I did not want cut, especially around my tree stands or specific mature acorn producers I wanted to save. I’m pleased with the undergrowth beginning 6 mo after cutting. Time waits for no one.
80E19263-6B3D-46F6-A419-A312DF841441.jpeg65E7EE96-9822-42ED-9A05-AD09C21225DF.jpeg1AC2F1E2-1A20-446F-864A-80DEFB40128D.jpeg0CAF5639-9146-4D3C-ADC2-F38B67B50A24.jpeg4365ACEA-8A30-42BD-B346-13CD47EEB30A.jpeg21A15DA0-2C97-42AC-A799-9F412938AC6D.jpeg

So if yourself of today, was coaching yourself at the start (or even property purchase), what would be the key points you’d drive home to find success now knowing what you do?

So if yourself of today, was coaching yourself at the start (or even property purchase), what would be the key points you’d drive home to find success now knowing what you do?
Interesting question and I’m not really qualified to answer such.
Quick thoughts
-Lazy and cheap I am. So anything that succeeds and fills those qualifications meets my criteria
-Wouldn’t do any tillage as I did the first 5 years
-Monoculture plots are abhorrent to nature’s preference
-Grass in clover is not an issue. My yard grows clover quite well yet I never kill the grass. I won’t say I don’t spray for weeds of grasses but it is rare
-Mixed plantings do quite well, i.e., clover , brassica, grains. Each serves its purpose in soil building and one contributes to the health of the other
-T&M plantings reduces seed costs , fert needs, herbicide needs. Deer do not petition for magazine cover picture plots. Ugly is good.
-Random Clusters was an accidental success in promoting buck movement
-Fallow fields attract and feed deer quite well as well as well as promoting a habitat for small and large animals and with little labor or cost
-Realize that each part of the puzzle of habitat management affects all other and your land is as much controlled by the most minute organisms within your soil to the largest of predators on your land. Manipulate one without recognizing the need of the other, will only end in frustration
-But most importantly to cherish the time one has with others be it family or friends. The bucks I’ve taken mean very little but the moment was important for what connection I was having with others. Tomorrow may remove what one often take for granted.
-And finally, God managed the land quite well before one takes it over. Whatever we choose to do, when we are no longer there to manipulate the habitat the deer will thrive quite well as they have for eons.

Recommendation read book Sand County Almanac and the Lickcreek thread posted on this site. Good luck.

Well you know I go to this national competition every year. 250-400 cc dirt bike motors screaming and guys doing crap with axes in unreal time. Some guys not so young but dang can still cut some timber.

Do they still host the championship in Webster Springs Dogghr?

Do they still host the championship in Webster Springs Dogghr?

Yes every Memorial Day wkend. The flood in ‘16 and then Covid lock has messed it up some. This first year seem to be getting back to normal. Not as many from Canada , New Zealand , and Australia as used to be but still a fun event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well lets take a quick detour today with something you might find interesting or maybe not. I was doing maintenance on the tractor , chainsaw, and atv today busting knuckles. But I thought some of you might find interesting the minute mechanical maintenance I also had to do.
As with all mechanical machinery, they tend to function and require similar occasional repairs. Below find pictures of the tear down and refurbish of a slow speed handpiece your dentist sometimes uses while repairing your dental neglect.

Slow speed HP are, like the high speed HP, air driven just like your shop tools. These run at about 15k-20k rpm. A High speed HP, which is most of what you hear whining in the dental office run about 460000 rpms. The latter has a turbine like a jet engine that spins and provides the sound and bur grinding most people hate. The high speed turbine inside those HP typically costs $500-800 and wear out do to heat sterilization in 3-9 months. Before heat sterilization was required in the offices, they would last indefinitely almost. Yes, 40 years ago the HP was sterilized but not in autoclave pressurized heat. And we all lived to tell about it. Of course for the last 35+years, everything is autoclaved. There are also electric HPs which operate with a typical motor drive.

Anyways back to the slow speed HP, find below the tear down, intimate cleaning and oiling that one occasionally do. Gears are a little worn, but will function well for a while yet. I seldom work any more, but the new people have no concept of tearing down equipment for repair and pay too much money for a company to do such. I do it just to help out and because I like this kind of crap. The screwdriver is just for perspective.
Look if you wish, if not scroll on, I’ll return to habitat work in a few.

C361A886-2182-4F57-8F87-67E78B71DDC7.jpegE7263A3A-18A3-434C-A3A6-5179F08392D4.jpegF1672A70-BEFA-4077-B0D2-FC5503EB597D.jpeg19DBAE02-77EF-4BF7-BB2C-93B8503670F3.jpeg11A41C68-4738-4DB5-9060-0B3CF36719F7.jpegBCA7823F-BFD7-4E42-94E8-FD64A92CDFDE.jpegF81214B7-FAC3-4A4E-B55B-1F4CA56E6B35.jpeg57D56711-B0EA-4183-BE92-8B87920BEE0E.jpeg

Some of you have forgotten that I’m just a rambling mountain man always headed off on a tangent.

Meanwhile on the ranch, first pic is 3 weeks after spraying mix of Cleth 15 oz and Gly 8oz for kill of unwanted grasses and weeds. Did mix in AMS. No clover or alfalfa was hurt in this act.
Second pic...if your brassica field from last fall does not look like this now, then we cant be friends. Keep your soil covered and your efforts, sweat, and costs will be kept minimal.
Third pic shows the clover beneath. Year round food for deer. Bedding for fawns. Constant improvement of soils. Drought and monsoon resistant.

Btw, based on another thread, any guesses on the grain used in this plot?

Edit. Second pic is grass kill obviously

0C4E8A1C-E4D0-40E8-AEB5-FCB0C2AEFF02.jpeg1C007634-84AA-4491-AEC2-FDD91BE18D57.jpegE63531FA-1A16-4296-8C17-A28644DC187E.jpeg

Last edited:
Meanwhile on the ranch, first pic is 3 weeks after spraying mix of Cleth 15 oz and Gly 8oz for kill of unwanted grasses and weeds. Did mix in AMS. No clover or alfalfa was hurt in this act.
Second pic...if your brassica field from last fall does not look like this now, then we cant be friends. Keep your soil covered and your efforts, sweat, and costs will be kept minimal.
Third pic shows the clover beneath. Year round food for deer. Bedding for fawns. Constant improvement of soils. Drought and monsoon resistant.

Btw, based on another thread, any guesses on the grain used in this plot?

View attachment 25499View attachment 25500View attachment 25501

I would let you work on my clover plot, but there is no way you get to work on my teeth....:eek:

Drought resistant, but I’ve learned nothing is drought proof. Looks great, and I’m envious!

Now you guys and your cabbed tractors on the other hand, are way too pampered!!

Back