Foodplotting In The Mountains...The Sequel

You ask a multitude of good questions... Yes, I agree that discerning whitetail behavior can be challenging at times.
When I saw that picture I could hear CCR singing Bad Moon Rising in the background....

Creedence Clearwater Revival, why didn't I think of that. Great group and song. If you listen or read the words, it is a bit scary and depressing. Written by Dan Fogerty I believe.

Always enjoy your philosophical posts. You raise some great points/questions.
Beautiful pic.

Thanks Doc. Philosophical? I have had people with impressive diplomas for evaluating the mind tell me otherwise. Ok , maybe she was just an ex GF psychologist of a good friend of mine, but she still gave me her opinion. Luckily he made her history.

Warmer than average weather here during rut explains much of the harvest declines from year to year.....and we are in an area where warm fall temps are normal and deer have adapted to heat stress. Deer movement often starts late and ends early or may occur during the day in deep shade when it's hot....there was a lot of night rutting on the videos this ear. Variable losses to EHD occur during drought...depends on water source available...they still rut and eat....just fewer for you to see. Predator decline in drought is normal. A doe will breed in thin condition but if habitat conditions won't support a fawn in spring, she can abort late term....longevity of the doe is an adaptation of the specie across many ecoregions....annual reproduction is not the primary goal!

I agree. The oddity was even on camera/video, there was no real hard rut. Bucks tolerated each other much of the season at times, and does remained in groups as well as with their fawns. Obviously the rut did occur, but certainly it was one of the more subdued ones I've seen. Similar occurred in 2002.
Does are healthy and provided surviving twins with nearly every doe on property. I agree, there could be a relationship with EHD over last several years, especially affecting the bucks. It's been hard to not harvest more does since each had twins, but with buck sightings down, we've kept it to just a couple. We will probably pay the price for that decision with natural browse and food plots next year should we have a mild winter. I've managed to get natural browse and bedding and fawning cover up to speed for my current numbers as long as those numbers don't explode.
The other factor I didn't mention…..is in this down economy the last 2 years, I think there are a lot of people with a lot of time to take more deer in and out of season, legal and illegally. And I think that has had more repercussions than I give credit. At any rate, one year should not cause a knee jerk reaction, but this is a 2 out of 3 year pattern now. This next hunt season of 17 will give a true pattern of the health/numbers of the herd.

Thanks everyone for reading. Few more days to bow hunt then back to reality. I'll share the excellent response of deer with bedding, browse, and movement with my Random Cluster cuttings.

Thanks everyone for reading. Few more days to bow hunt then back to reality. I'll share the excellent response of deer with bedding, browse, and movement with my Random Cluster cuttings.

I would like to see this post before the first of the year because that's when I'm going to start mine but will start it with or without it if the weather cooperates.

As far as the rut I saw the strongest 2nd rut I've ever seen in person and on camera most likely due to the temps and moon. Seems like the first rut was very weak this year.

That buck has a mean gack on his leg, did we already hear that story?

G
Not sure exactly what caused that. My bucks took a beating this year early. This buck had a pass for this year but I considered taking him just because of that nasty leg. In 2 months on video and passing him from stand, he seems to be moving pretty good. My shooter 10 went off the list mid Oct when he lost his left rack in a fight I assume. Both of those injuries showed the same week so I wonder if they fought each other. Both had bad scars on their bodies. My other shooter 10 also went off list late Oct as he broke off his G2 on one side and the tip of right antler. That really eliminated most of what I had planned to go after and had been passed last year. Another 10 that was injured with a broken leg last year that always looked nasty, seemed to have made it well into the fall, then just disappeared.
Funny, is the buck you mentioned above I have on video attacking another buck even with his banged up leg. Just been a weird season for me in general.

I would like to see this post before the first of the year because that's when I'm going to start mine but will start it with or without it if the weather cooperates.

As far as the rut I saw the strongest 2nd rut I've ever seen in person and on camera most likely due to the temps and moon. Seems like the first rut was very weak this year.
Deer Patch, I can't or won't go near these areas right now for pictures to show but I will try to get them when season ends. As I mentioned before, I cut areas across my farm that in theory deer will "hop" from Cluster to Cluster as they travel across property from feeding to bedding areas. These Random Clusters are anywhere from 30 sq yd areas to up to and ac or 2. They follow a pattern from down low near my food plots to the back ridge and side hill points that my deer tend to use. They also follow the typical downwind side of my food plots that bucks can use for scent checking during the rut.
The most noticeable I made very close to my alfalfa food plot on a side hill point. Deer always passed thru this area, but my dropping 3 large trees and several small ones over about an acre, really drew them to bed and browse there. I watched them from a stand I have about 100 yds from the spot, and it was well used.
The other newly added Cluster, was up higher again on a side hill point, near a stand I've had their for 6 years. They began bedding there routinely and buck sign was the heaviest since I'v owned the place there. I passed at least a dozen+ bucks, some of which ware borderline shooters but just needed that one more year. The one 8 I should've took early season, looking back now, but I knew how his grandfather and father blew up in rack growth in their 4 th year, so I hope he does the same. If he lives. I compete with a lot of road kill from traffic and logging trucks.
My Clusters are simply heavy hinging or simply dropping trees onto the ground. They follow a reverse S curve from top to bottom. I didn't really initially intend to have that patter, but as I saw deer use them, I began trying to use the pattern. I find the deer tend to follow the edge that is created on their borders as they move, scent checking , and feeding after being in the lower fields. The mature oaks that are 50=75 years old provide great food in the hard mast they provide. I've taken most of my bucks recent season along these Random Clusters and I intend to continue their upkeep each year.
The Random Cluster name comes from a Nobel prize winner that used the analogy of cars going down the high way tend to be in random clusters, spaced along the highway, yet all going the same direction, much as the electrons in his theory. Kinda describes my motive pretty well. Good luck if you try to do likewise. I'll update with pics and more detail early in the next year. Hope this isn't too confusing. I'm headed to Cluster #2 to hunt in just a few minutes.

Good read and I've never had a problem following your posts. I'm waiting for our last 3 day gun season to end also even though our bow season doesn't end till the end of February, The way I have my farm set up now I'm limited to where I can make the clusters but the deer should flow threw my property. I'm going to try to take pics to document but I hardly slow down to take the pics. I also feel your pain about the roadkill deer. I saw my first mature road kill deer this fall when I was pulling off the highway this fall. Someone had cut the backstraps and horns off and then a few days later the whole deer was gone and we had temps in the 60's and 70's. Hopefully someone was just feeding their animals but a person never knows.

Hope you have a successful hunt.

Good read and I've never had a problem following your posts. I'm waiting for our last 3 day gun season to end also even though our bow season doesn't end till the end of February, The way I have my farm set up now I'm limited to where I can make the clusters but the deer should flow threw my property. I'm going to try to take pics to document but I hardly slow down to take the pics. I also feel your pain about the roadkill deer. I saw my first mature road kill deer this fall when I was pulling off the highway this fall. Someone had cut the backstraps and horns off and then a few days later the whole deer was gone and we had temps in the 60's and 70's. Hopefully someone was just feeding their animals but a person never knows.

Hope you have a successful hunt.
I thot of you as I sat on the ridge near that cluster. Bucks had made at least another 15 rubs surrounding my stand, and even tho this has always been a good spot, the deer activity certainly improved at this spot.
Another thing I failed to mention, and probably has helped me, is that a good number of these clusters follow the fringes of a 15 ac sanctuary that happens to also sit 100-400 yds downwind of most my plots.
I plan this year to spend very little time in plotting and most of it on improving these clusters and thermal bedding areas. That is my main shortcoming at the moment on the property.
Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas.

I've already picked all the place for my cluster which I think will be most beneficial for the deer and movement. I have been putting a lot of thought into this. Mine are going to be plot oriented to give the bucks more places to waste more time on my place and help the flow of deer in general.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Why was the year different? Rifle kill down 25 % statewide and 30% in my county. Doe season has been a bust on their numbers. I think final tally for the entire season will be 25-40% down. Not sure but a lot of factors possible.

1. Was it the late Hunters Moon, that also was one of two Supermoons to rise this fall?
2. Or the heavy mast available that kept deer in the woods with easy food available? I watched deer pass that hardly raised their head as they fed on the acorns scattered everywhere.
3. Really warm temps especially thru the early November? Did that suppress the rut? I used my Thermalcell more times this year than since I've owned it. Hunted in just shirtsleeves much of October.
4. Drought. Does that affect the behavior of the deer? Certainly plots were slow to come on, but with hard and soft mast abundant, is it really a big deal?
5. Three harsh winters and now real hard mast for last 2 years until 2016. Deer numbers were down. But still seem to be plenty.
6. Neighbor was trigger happy last year for some reason. Not sure what or how many he legally took. That had an affect I'm sure.
7. We have taken 1-2 mature bucks in '14 and '15. Did we get too aggressive with our 4 year olds?
8. Predator numbers are extremely low. Do they recognize something we human predators don't?
9. In this day and age of large deer numbers, and the love of hunting over piles of corn, or even food plots. Has this destroyed the multitude of hunter's ability of truly knowing how to hunt the deer on their own terms?

I think it could be a combination of all the above. I know it was a problem in many areas of the country, not just mine, as I talk to many of my friends who hunt other states. Do we need to rethink our abilities? Do we need to relearn how to hunt? Have we become addicted to our stands, blinds, plots, etc to an extent that we struggle to change our tactics?
One thing for sure, the more I learn of whitetail behavior, the more I learn how little I know.
And yes, when I get the chance, I'll share that stalk hunt of mine on here. Have a great day. Still couple weeks to hunt that aggravating Whitetail. Peace.

dogghr...Spent the day catching up on a lot of threads an updating my own. Interesting observations posted above. Point number 9 probably hits home for a lot of us. I know it does for me. We don't nor can't hunt over bait but as for the food plot additction....I'm there. And I think for good reason...we see ample deer in the plots, particularly late season afternoon sits. I'm not near the passionate hunter I once was years ago. I'd chase whitetails with bow in hand (compound for many years), and took quite a few still hunting. Slipping thru the woods and catching deer undetected was quite a rush and I got quite good at it. Fast forward from around 2001 to now and I've become more of a deer watcher and a food plot junkie, now that I own land. Most sits now are on the edge of a food plot in the afternoons. I guess cause I know I'll probably see deer. Never knew what a food plot was 20 years ago. And don't slip thru the woods one slow step at a time like I once did. I'm sure I was a better hunter then. But I was more passionate about the actual hunt than I am today. Seems I enjoy the land management side as much and probably more than the actual hunt. But, I do love watching the offstpring take their share of deer.

Odd Triple that you commented to your change in hunting tactics over the years. I had planned to do an update today along those lines. But then no one should listen to someone of foodplotting that leaves a bag of WR on his trailer in a heavy rain. Poor thing is swollen like a sow ready to pop her litter. I've left it there after it was ruined , just to see if it will burst and if any spouts from within.. Hope noone dies from the explosion. IMBIBITION!! Remember my monologue on the steps of growth from seed to plant???

IMG_3262.JPG

I tire and am saddened to hear on some forums the frustration, aggravation, and sometimes boredom that some have during the deer season. The advent of todays hunting stands, whether they be the lockons, the ladder stands, or blinds, is both a blessing and a curse. Certainly I was taught early by my Dad that hunting high improved the odds. Even when deer were scarce, he would sit on a limb with his long bow, hunting. He always saw mature deer that way. But he and my grandfather hunted as much walking thru the woods as any other way, and each would take deer much larger than usually seen in those days. But these stands have become in many ways our addiction. Many are littterally scared to walk the earth in search of their game. This in part is to blame on our indoctrination by some groups who will not be named/QD... Our fear of not being able to take that huge buck for some has destroyed their love of the sport in my opinion.

So now as the season ends for many, lets talk of that walkabout hunting that can be so much fun. Call it what you will... Still-hunting, Slip-hunting, or Stalk-hunting. Now I spend most my time hunting from prime areas in a treestand. Ilove them. But if that is how I'm going to hunt for 3 + months, I'd go crazy. My son took his first bow buck in his preteen years, while slipping down a logging road. Shot the buck at 15 yards. Now I'm here to tell you, killing any deer, any where, in any part of the country, is something to be proud of. But I promise, shooting a deer, that you have hunted like the predators that you hate, on the ground, up close and personal, will get your heart beating harder and a bigger smile on your face than any hunt you can make. If you tire of your stands, staring at the same block of land, day after day, then by gosh, change it up. It is not difficult, and you will learn tons about deer you never knew. Can you take prime deer this way, you bet. Ask the guy up the road from me that took a 22 pointer this year. Four hour drag out of the public land ravine. Make a commitment that you will do so next season, and more importantly, teach those young kids the same. Why do you think they as a group are losing interest? A lot of factors, but a big chunk is simply the loss of comradery, and the intimate hunt without second guessing themselves.

Disclaimer.....if you want a trophy story this go around, move to another thread. I'm not a horn hunter per se, but I've got a few of the 140, 150, and 160s antlers piled in corner my house and garage. I'm not that type of addict and seldom will even mount a rack ( and I don't mind those who are, just not me), but if you want to imagine a big smile on my face, then read on...
So anyways, with the season being a bit slow, and my target bucks broken up as I described a few posts ago, I went out for a Thanksgiving hunt changing things up. I climbed in stand early afternoon and sat for an hour, letting the woods settle. Climbing down, I quickly moved thru what I knew would be unproductive areas to a spot I wanted to slip thru. Stopping at its thick, steep edge, I stood for 10 minutes, letting my mind become one with the forests. Listen, smell. Hear the Peliated Woodpecker in the distance? Not its hammer like drilling, but listen till you hear its feet scratching the bark as it moves. Why is the squirrel fussing? A predator, a competitor, or maybe announcing the presence of a buck as they will do. The creaking of the branches as the wind blows, the flapping of a crows wings as he scoots somewhere unknown.
Now 3 steps. Stop. Stop. Wait. Another 2 or 5 steps to a dark tree or bush. Listen. Look. Not for the deer. But for it's horizontal outline against all the vertical in the woods. Wait 3 minutes. Another few steps. Look again. For that flicker of an ear, or tail. Or that faint slow, soft step of feeding deer. Some more steps. Slow. On your toes, not the heel-toe clop of a human. But gingerly, feeling the stick beneath your foot before you place your weight and snap it.
Wind in my face. A grunt and snort call hang around my neck. Did you know a deer snorting at you is not always a bad thing if they can't smell or make out what you are? Answer them back. They are asking who you are. If they snort twice, answer back with two, etc. Often they will just settle back down after a few conversations with you. Smell or make you out? Then no reason to snort back.
And so I continued. 200 yards maybe in that hour. Evening was coming on. Still moving but a few steps at a time, wind still in my face, listening, peeriing into the thick brush.
An antler. 70 yards. Facing away, with his neck turned 180 deg looking at me. Looked like a magazine cover in the dimming light. Scope goes on to him, and I bring back down my rifle. I'll let him go... be much nicer next year. Then I said nope, I'm in predator mode. I have a den of pups to feed. Scope back on deer, if he turns, I'm taking the shot.
Taking in the beauty of the moment, indeed he turned, hard to his left running cross hill. Mind goes into autopilot. Amazing how the brain goes thru its complicated microsecond calculations. Running deer are not hard to shoot... if you learned before the moment. Brain is annalyzing. Tree, tree , bush, jump, tree, turn, open spot, jump. Then that mid slow motion pause in the air as gravity begins to bring the deer back down to earth.
I awake from my stupor as the WSM recoils against my shoulder. I instantly work the bolt to chamber the second of two cartridges I had loaded. Where was he? Can't find him. Ah there he lays, in a heap where I fired the shot. A smile runs across this fellows face, proud to be still able to make that shot. My mind shuffles thru others that I had taken as they tried to run away. The one so many years ago with the side hammer blackpowder round ball, the 140 class a few years ago with ML, and yea, that 160 on my wall shot as he ran, with this same 270.
I walked up to the buck, and I promise no magazine cover trophy would make me smile anymore. He had fooled me a little as I thot he was indeed wider. But no matter. I was happy. The predator had succeeded.
And once again as I always do, rubbed the thick coat of fur, feeling the heat escaping from the life that I had taken. My turn will come one day. That's ok. After sitting for a while, I grabbed the buck to begin the long drag off the mountain, and as the snowflakes began to cover the ground, I swear , that now gone old friend of mine, patted me on the back, and with that plug tobacco, shit eatin grin he always had, said, Good hunt Doug, Good hunt.

IMG_3232.JPG

dogghr,
Great job on your harvest, and I love reading your stalking adventures. I've hunted that way many times in my life - not just deer but other species as well. When you are on the ground moving like a predator, I think it brings out instincts from the past that a man needs to feel every so often. I think closing space on a vocal turkey to make a good setup is what I like best about turkey hunting. Last year I saw a coyote at 500 yards and made a stealthy approach using the landscape as my cover to get within easy gun range. It was a good feeling.

Congrats again, and keep the inspiration coming.

As always, your style of writing and words are mesmerizing. Congrats on your buck, been waiting for a month now for that story and it was worth the wait!

todd

Great story! Several of my larger deer have been taken from the ground while still hunting on our deer lease (2 140-160 class I killed there still hunting in 2002) and at a past property ( 2 140's in 1995 still hunted up) I lived on that I had access to a very large tract of land and even a couple in our local WMA (1 150 and 1 130). Can't hunt our 80 like that because it is the living room of every deer around and with the fence sitting neighbors you just push them right out. I have seen 2 real dandy's easing down my old logging road but both times was with bow and both deer never offered a shot and eventually figured me out...I don't like to be figured out...

I can only hunt our place in perfect wind conditions and so I choose to be a stand sitter here but I have been given the gift of patience by our creator which I also notice in my grandson Eli. I prefer to have deer pushed to me as opposed to the opposite so I go to my stand and watch a multitude of deer per hunt and if you really want to know what deer do when they have no idea you are around then this is the type hunt for you.

I also have seen a couple dead deer I pushed in front of me on a WMA and 1 on the previous property that were absolute studs...I was easing along in predator mode but they were easing out in pressured prey mode and they snuck right in front of someone elses gun who happened to be sitting in a tree...

Congratulations dogghr on a spectacular hunt. No greater honor can be bestowed upon a man than shooting his own deer. It is a thrill known to only a few.

Congratulations dogghr on a spectacular hunt. No greater honor can be bestowed upon a man than shooting his own deer. It is a thrill known to only a few.
Thot of you and few of the others above that aren't afraid of the walkabout. I know you hunt from ground quite a bit in close quarters and I meant to try your blanket idea this year that you use while sitting. Maybe next year as season ends this week. I'm sad, angry, depressed, etc as always at this time.
Thanks everyone for reading my ramblings. The chainsaw comes back out next week. Have a Great New Year.

Just finished this thread... inspiring! Your posts about the 3 "F's" remind me that we are stewards...yes, of the land, but more importantly of our own talents and the children we've been blessed with. Thanks so much and keep it coming!

Back