Fall plots in no rain since

Finally got some moisture. .14 inches. That's all we have had so far this month. Looks like more rain in the forecast so fingers crissed.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Couldn't make it to the ranch last weekend so I made a quick run out yesterday after work to check the plots. Mostly looking good, really need a bit more rain though. The drilled plots look to have a good start. Where I broadcast into beans is thin so far, I was trying to avoid running over the beans with the drill. ..next time I'll do like Baker and sacrifice a few beans for better germination of my fall plots.
b7b6c2ccaad29b99fa23fba3a6443427.jpg
33dfee0a409100d43a19857b4cb029b3.jpg
64e725ae48717ee93f25f1990f25d842.jpg
28a249d04b2952a6a1f8806c4d75e3cf.jpg
3d9667733e789aef5d830c1e31102170.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

First two pics are wheat, oats, radish & clover.

Last 3 are rye & mix.

Didn't get pics of where I broadcast in beans, may post some later in the ugliest food plot thread.

We finished planting 118 acres last Sunday morning. Were in a white hot rush to beat the rain which never came. The 10 day forecast shows nothing. Nonetheless the fields planted in rye are all up. Will be interesting to see if the wheat/clover plantings do anything.

We finished the last of our plots this past Sunday morning planting wheat and clover around the perimeter just ahead of the rain. Got more than 2 inches of rain since planting. Brassicas were planted around the 10th of September ahead of Irma. Grains n clover in other plots were planted around the 21st of September just after Irma with plenty of moisture in the ground. Timed it all just right this year on the rain events.

Here's a pic of what our plots looked like November 2016...pathetic. Horrible drought last year.
Hour Glass 2016.jpg

Same plot last week.
Hour Glass I.jpg

Hour Glass II.jpg

Our horse shoe plot planted in durana and ladino clover with wheat as a nurse crop.
Horseshoe.jpg

Lower Lower plot planted in Buck Forage Oats
Lower Lower.jpg

Upper lower plot planted in Buck Forage Oats.
Upper Lower.jpg

Bean field looking south planted in brassicas in the interior, clover and wheat around the perimeter. These should really take off with the rain we've had since sunday.
Bean Field looking south.jpg

Attachments

• Bean field looking north.jpg
    Bean field looking north.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 0
Beautiful! Great when the timing works. Love the gobblers strutting across the field.

Maybe its just me but lush plots make me feel good.

We finished planting 118 acres last Sunday morning. Were in a white hot rush to beat the rain which never came. The 10 day forecast shows nothing. Nonetheless the fields planted in rye are all up. Will be interesting to see if the wheat/clover plantings do anything.
I can't imagine planting 118 acres. You need a bigger drill, I've got an old worn out 10' haybuster I'd have a 15' if I could get it up the roads and I'm only planting 22 acres. The rye I planted has our preformed the wheat as far as early germ & growth. Hopefully the wheat makes up for it in use.

Rain or lack of can make a zero look like a hero and vice versa...if it rains timely my plots look amazing but if it doesn't then...well...not so much...

Rain or lack of can make a zero look like a hero and vice versa...if it rains timely my plots look amazing but if it doesn't then...well...not so much...
Agreed, timely would have been last week. Looks like a chance Sun, high hopes again.

Our rain chances have also dropped to 25% Sunday. Nothing in the 15 day forecast over 25%. No rain here since end of August.

Well I figured out a way to get some rain. Since it hadn't rained since some time in Aug, I rented an excavator to get the site ready for my pole barn. Wouldn't you know it.

IMG_4908.JPG

Now let's see if there's still some seed lying in wait for that moisture...

Good you got some rain, we're you able to get the barn started?

We got .67" Fri night, glad to get it

Good you got some rain, we're you able to get the barn started?

We got .67" Fri night, glad to get it

Barn still a couple of months out. It's been put into action though so I'm in the queue.

My foodplot has germinated as well. Seed was sitting patiently waiting for that moisture...

Back