Fall plots in no rain since

G3 Ranch

Thought I'd get my fall plots in on 9/23 & 24 ahead of the forecasted rain. Planted 2000lbs rye, 600 oats, 200 red clover, 150 wheat, 75 radish & 200 soybeans for a little candy on 20ac in my annual plots. Seeded 25lbs alfalfa, 15 white clover, 10 chicory on 2ac in a couple perennial plots. Same old story, no rain at my place...98% of Oklahoma got from an inch to 7+ the week of the 25th, all of it missed us & okiekubota. Thankfully we had some rain a few days prior to planting 9/18-9/20 totaling .4"

The good news is I was at the ranch last weekend and the rye is up 2" or so, a bit thin so far but encouraging, even a few radish & beans up...very few. Rain forecasted Tue PM through Thurs, if we can pick up a little from this front we'll be looking good...High hopes!

Hopefully you get some rains G3. How did you plant? I'm in same boat as not drop rain as of today for 59 sunrises with none in 10 day forecast. Brassica came up but poor growth only a foot tall.. Everything planted T&M so no bare dirt at least. I'll overseed brassica with grain and RC in late Oct/early Nov. Perennial Clovers have loved the cool weather. Hence reason to have variety of annuals and perennials. And why I won't water tree plantings, following advice from old farmer who said plant them in the mush of spring and let their roots find water and they will survive the drought times. Not much to worry as acorns are laying on ground like marbles already. Can't compete with them.

I'm in much the same shape, but not anywhere near the seed you have on the ground. We are forecast rain tonight and tomorrow. My hopes are fair to middling.

Hopefully you get some rains G3. How did you plant? I'm in same boat as not drop rain as of today for 59 sunrises with none in 10 day forecast. Brassica came up but poor growth only a foot tall.. Everything planted T&M so no bare dirt at least. I'll overseed brassica with grain and RC in late Oct/early Nov. Perennial Clovers have loved the cool weather. Hence reason to have variety of annuals and perennials. And why I won't water tree plantings, following advice from old farmer who said plant them in the mush of spring and let their roots find water and they will survive the drought times. Not much to worry as acorns are laying on ground like marbles already. Can't compete with them.

Thanks, Kinda feel silly complaining now, 59 days + is just brutal, you need rain worse than I do....hope you get drenched soon dogg. All but 8ac or so we're no till drilled, with the small seed broadcast & cultipacked. The 8ac all seed was broadcast into standing beans, nothing happening there without a good rain. I'm thinking I should have done spring oats in the spring, only 8 out of 20ac of beans made it so didn't have a lot growing all summer except the beans & the perennial plots that seemed to disappear early summer. Acorn crop at my place is spotty, not many on the ground at this point. Much to learn.

I'm in much the same shape, but not anywhere near the seed you have on the ground. We are forecast rain tonight and tomorrow. My hopes are fair to middling.

I've been in the excavating business all my adult life, rain has always been an inconvienience
Delaying making money ....I've a different mindset these days, now that I want rain it doesn't come. I hope you get what you need.

I certainly hope we all get some rain out of this next system. I was throwing seed over on Home 10 this evening and will be reseeding the plots here on the hollow tomorrow evening...

I certainly hope we all get some rain out of this next system. I was throwing seed over on Home 10 this evening and will be reseeding the plots here on the hollow tomorrow evening...

You & me both brother...we've got to be in the zone at some point! Good luck, The cost of reseeding is painful.

We planted September 16 after a getting almost 4 inches earlier that week. Haven't had a rain since. Poor plots are suffering right now

I planted August 18th .29" fell since then 2.5 weeks ago and it fell in less than 1/2 hour...dry is an understatement here...

I planted early Sept like I always do and I have had zero rain since. Thus far its still a bare field just waiting for rain to eventually show up...

I've been in the excavating business all my adult life, rain has always been an inconvienience
Delaying making money ....I've a different mindset these days, now that I want rain it doesn't come. I hope you get what you need.

Small world ! That was my trade also, and I remember the time when rain meant the grocery bill, or lack thereof !o_O Now, let 'er rain, I'll get rich off of this SS check !:p

Neighbor said he had .75 in his gauge this morning and was still raining. Looks like we're edging to the 1" mark. Should be looking good..

Back