Fall plantings and rain, or lack there of

Creek chub

Good morning,
Picked up some seed for plots yesterday and I’m anxious to start planting. Here in southwest VA it is bone dry.

I’m free this weekend to plant but there is no rain forecasted for the next 10 days.

If I don’t plant at least a plot or two tomorrow, Labor Day weekend is my next available weekend. I know that’s the usual fall planting time though.

Should I wait until Labor Day or risk planting a couple small 1/2 plots this weekend?

I've always been a strong proponent of planting. Bone dry is good. Seed will sit and wait until there is enough moisture to start germination. Once germination starts, though, some soil moisture is essential. Your odds of success increase as we move away from the hottest days of summer, but, right now, I think the odds of success are good enough to do it. Other than free time, what's the disadvantage of waiting until Labor Day?

Always been a tough subject for us as well in the eastern mountains of WV. We got ours in last week, little bit earlier than normal but that is just when we could get them in. The forecast this weekend was great and we got about 2 inches of rain so we can’t complain. Can’t grow if they aren’t in the ground! One thing we also use is delta Ag seed coat, I do believe this helps out a lot especially when we have been dry like you are.

I’d trade you some rain for some more sunny weather. We’ve bee continually struggling with too much rain, particularly on weekends. Weather can be a fickle spouse...indispensable and completely unpredictable.

I try my best to play the rain game if my schedule allows. I just think if rain comes within day or so the seed gets better soil contact and immediately begins its imbibition that is required before germination can occur and subsequent growth. Of course I only do T&M which may affect decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have already killed the vegetation in the plots to be planted this fall. I'm probably going to wait until Labor Day to plant, because that gives undesirable weeds in the seedbank a more time to germinate before I sew my seed. If they do germinate, I can kill again before planting and have a cleaner plot. However, I'm notorious for planting early, but I do play the rain game like dogghr said.

I try my best to play the rain game if my schedule allows. I just think if rain comes within day or so the seed gets better soil contact and immediately begins its imbibition that is required before germination can occur and subsequent growth. Of course I only do T&M which may affect decision.

Do you think throw and mow does better with minimal rainfall vs traditional seed sowing?

Do you think throw and mow does better with minimal rainfall vs traditional seed sowing?

Yes because there is no bare soil exposed to sun wind or even heavy downpour. Especially on some of my plots which are ridgetop southfacing dry plots. Existing plants whether weeds and grasses or a terminated grain planting help keep soil moisture preserved and just as importantly keep soil temps cooler. All this combines for more health in plant, soil and seed.
If planting into a WR, the decomposing rye not only does the above but also contributes to the moisture from its own dying self. Same w other plants but to a lesser extent.

In answer to the urea question. Yea you can add at planting but I never add high N w a planting unless it is brassicas. WR and WW griw prettty well alone. I may add a 19-19-19 at planting and lime if needed.

Yes because there is no bare soil exposed to sun wind or even heavy downpour. Especially on some of my plots which are ridgetop southfacing dry plots. Existing plants whether weeds and grasses or a terminated grain planting help keep soil moisture preserved and just as importantly keep soil temps cooler. All this combines for more health in plant, soil and seed.
If planting into a WR, the decomposing rye not only does the above but also contributes to the moisture from its own dying self. Same w other plants but to a lesser extent.

In answer to the urea question. Yea you can add at planting but I never add high N w a planting unless it is brassicas. WR and WW griw prettty well alone. I may add a 19-19-19 at planting and lime if needed.

I did throw and mow this morning into pearl millet. That stuff was thick! I pulled my drag harrow when done and it looked a green mat on the plot. Wonder if it can be too thick of thatch to reduce germination?

I try not to plant more than a week earlier than what I consider the “ideal” planting time, unless there’s no chance of getting anything in at all later. But if I’m a week early with rain in the forecast, I’ll pull the trigger. But IN MY AREA (all of this is location dependent), grains before Labor day get too stalky and chewy instead of fresh and tender. A relative put in a huge plot of Buck Forage Oats one year early to mid August. They were knee high by hunting season, and interestingly didn’t get any real use until the snow covered everything else up.

I try not to plant more than a week earlier than what I consider the “ideal” planting time, unless there’s no chance of getting anything in at all later. But if I’m a week early with rain in the forecast, I’ll pull the trigger. But IN MY AREA (all of this is location dependent), grains before Labor day get too stalky and chewy instead of fresh and tender. A relative put in a huge plot of Buck Forage Oats one year early to mid August. They were knee high by hunting season, and interestingly didn’t get any real use until the snow covered everything else up.

I’m cursed with impatience and no rain forecasted. I broadcast wheat and red clover into standing pearl millet today. Hopefully we get a shower or two and it takes off. If not, I’ll overseed winter rye Labor Day weekend.
I too planted BFO last year mid August. Great growth but virtually no browse. However, the $8 bin run oats planted around Labor Day got demolished

I did throw and mow this morning into pearl millet. That stuff was thick! I pulled my drag harrow when done and it looked a green mat on the plot. Wonder if it can be too thick of thatch to reduce germination?
I think you will be fine. But thatch can be too thick speaking from experience. As others do, I usually just throw seed into the standing growth and let it do its work. Either spray before or after planting or if a dying crop, just let it go. Sometimes I will mow half the height before seeding if it is too much a jungle to get seed spread well. If you get rain I bet it does good.

I think you will be fine. But thatch can be too thick speaking from experience. As others do, I usually just throw seed into the standing growth and let it do its work. Either spray before or after planting or if a dying crop, just let it go. Sometimes I will mow half the height before seeding if it is too much a jungle to get seed spread well. If you get rain I bet it does good.
I weedeated half the height of the millet and man that was a job. It did open up the foliage to get seed on the ground. I was amazed how thick it was once I pulled my drag over it. I’m guessing it’ll dry out pretty quick but will not get back to the farm for two weeks

Back