Drought and Survival

Rain in the last month has missed us north, mostly south and west, but not directly east. MO has been dry too; well that is a changing tonight. Good for them; not so good for us. Who knows, maybe the severe thunderstorm watch, along with the flash flooding, will actually lead to something for a change. I doubt it though. “Drenching thunderstorm late” ha! Drama queen meteorologists. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well after all the hoopla about “several inches of rain” spread out over 7 days of rain every day the tally came out to a total of .5 here but west of us got 7-9”...
Yep, that big rain was within 60 miles of us, straight south. Just like the big rain a couple days before was 70 miles straight west. Just like the big rain 4 weeks ago was 45 miles straight north.

We ended up getting .5 out of that last night...for the past month we are sitting at 1.75”...
That’s right where we are at Okie. The 1.8” I thought we got at the farm last week was really 1.5 according to the neighbor’s gauge. My folks got 1.4” last night 45 miles east of us; they were hurting pretty bad, so I was glad for them. Another chance tonight and tomorrow, we’ll see. It’s definitely humid enough!

That’s right where we are at Okie. The 1.8” I thought we got at the farm last week was really 1.5 according to the neighbor’s gauge. My folks got 1.4” last night 45 miles east of us; they were hurting pretty bad, so I was glad for them. Another chance tonight and tomorrow, we’ll see. It’s definitely humid enough!
We certainly could use some rain tonight...I see our best chance is around 1 am...

We have had two inches in the last two weeks, but it took two different rains to get it. It was nice for my yard and my food plot here at home but it did nothing for my pond. It’s currently about four feet low and I just started pumping water in it today. That costs about $300 a month or a little less in electricity but the alternative is my fish dying. I will probably pump until September, so $600 to get me through the summer. Hopefully September will bring more moisture this year than last. This is fairly normal for us though.

I am so sick of watching rain skirt us. We’re in the middle of “3 days of heavy thunderstorms” and have yet to get a drop. We leave for Florida Monday and more trees are going to die if we don’t get rain tomorrow, that’s our last chance for a while, so they say.

Finally beginning to build west of us PLEASE hold together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to radar, it’s going to fall apart right on top of us. Praying it’s WRONG!

Impressive display so far, but no rain.
Wish it would start so I could at least get a little nap before alarm clock. Been up since 4 watching the sky.

Took an abrupt right turn and the most intense part headed south, right along with my hope. Figures….. Go back to bed for 30 minutes I guess.

I guess it turned right down onto us...4” worth here at home but it was weird...just a strip of rain that continuously kept coming right through where our place here on whitetail hollow. Down at the cattle farm just a few miles south I am not sure what happened. I need to go look...

Didn’t even get the ground wet at the farm and in-law’s. It’s again getting tough to be happy for anyone getting rain. Chanute, 60 miles north of us got 6” yesterday….:mad:

In an attempt for the moment, to get back to the original intent of this thread, how has over 2 years of perpetual drought affected the habitat work and enjoyment of the outdoors? It has in profound ways. First, we've now lost innumerable planted trees -- that number will increase dramatically soon as well. We leave for vacation on Monday, I've decided to let that trip be an end to watering trees and to just let the chips fall where they may. For how long? Who knows? Watching 3 and 4 year old trees die won't be easy. Second, our family has not fished one time this year. We fish the river and ponds -- never been a lake fisherman. The river has been so low for so long, the water looks and smells nasty, I have no desire to eat blues out of that water. As far as pond fishing, I have no desire to stand on the edge of a dying pond to catch bass and crappie, it would be too depressing. Just to give you and idea of what it is like, my in-laws have a great pond -- we've caught many +2 lb crappie out of it and many +5 lb bass in the past. When full, it has a surface area of 3.5 acres. It is setting at 3/4 of an acre right now and getting smaller by the week. Unless something changes, it will not last the summer -- this is a pond that has not gone dry EVER! That is, since at least 1976 when my father-in-law first laid eyes on it.
Thirdly, the one bright spot (if you can call it that) of this year over the last 2, is the timing of the rain we have gotten. We're still setting at less than 8" on the year (we average 41" a year), but the rains have come at times when most needed. As a result, the crops, except for the beans they are really suffering, look much better than the last 2 years, and the food plots look better too. So I guess that's good??? It does give a false sense of security to those, who have no connection to agriculture, when they see yards looking relatively green and think everything is ok. But it's not, and even very locally the difference in rainfall is absurd. We've mowed our yard on a weekly basis this summer for the most part, the in-law's haven't mowed in weeks -- and he is ANAL about his yard. In short, short-term droughts stink, but longterm droughts suck in a way that affects a lot -- there isn't a more longterm helpless feeling as an outdoorsman. On a night like the last 2, when we're "supposed" to get significant rainfall, I don't sleep, I can't. If we didn't have such deep roots sunk in this part of the country, I'd be doing everything in my power to talk Dawna into moving after +2 years of this crap. I didn't even touch on EHD and fawn recruitment as a deer hunter; don't really want to think about that right now...

Last edited:
Control what you can control, and put as little thought as possible into those things you can't. Adapt and overcome. Change your management approach. Life comes with enough stress that you don't need to add stress from the things you love. Try lake fishing. Take a year off from hunting. I did and it completely changed my perspective. I literally cried when I lost access to my lifetime hunting property. I coast through feeling like the guy from Office Space now. And for god's sake, quit watching the RADAR! ;) 😂

Control what you can control, and put as little thought as possible into those things you can't. Adapt and overcome. Change your management approach. Life comes with enough stress that you don't need to add stress from the things you love. Try lake fishing. Take a year off from hunting. I did and it completely changed my perspective. I literally cried when I lost access to my lifetime hunting property. I coast through feeling like the guy from Office Space now. And for god's sake, quit watching the RADAR! ;) 😂
The question of this thread had to do with outdoor activities, but this drought affects much more than that... I appreciate the advice though. As far as adapting, I love rain, I don't think I can change that. If this continues into the foreseeable future, the only adapting I could do is pick up stakes and move. My family would never go for that.

i have traveled up through your area KSQ2 and I have seen what you speak of...it’s very similar to right around the Welch OK area. Very dry! pin 2011/2012 we had the exact same situation but at the tie. We’re living where our cattle herd is now. Luckily I had no cattle but I watered pine seedlings every single evening after work...hundreds of them, hauling water and getting loaded with seed ticks that don’t seem to mind no rain...finally the rains came again and we were ok for a coupe, years and then it happened again in 2014... for several years after that we have had hot and dry but every 3-4 weeks a small .25 or .5 rain would come through and just barely carry us. In 2022 the mother of all droughts hit beginning in early June. Cattle pastures were completely burned up by July 4th. We bought our cattle herd and moved them to our farm on August 1st...the farm had had no animals and a fair amount of grass on it that was stalled. The cows ate it in short order and we started feeding hay by late August and never stopped until this past April. The difference is those rains that used to go just north up the I44 corridor almost every single time moved south about 30-50 miles which happens to be where we are. We are definitely grateful but I understand drought and expect it every year! I payed almost 3k on fertilizer and put it out on July 5th in our hayfield and lost quite a bit of the nitrogen before enough rain fell to matter and it was a huge gamble! I am glad I did it but my friends thought I was nuts!

Back