Down South Foodplots

dogghr

I think over the years with help and my own expermention that I can grow good plots in my area. But my daughter and SIL have a farm in central NC. THey want my help and I'm just not sure with this sandy soil. Different world. I plan on fall plant of WR, brassica, and clover. I use whites and reds. Is that good for these soils or crimson better choice ?

Also, per soil test will need 1-2 tons/ac lime. I plan no tillage as I would normally do but does this sand absorb the powder lime properly that way? Clay base about foot down. Open fields tree lined. Old horse farm. How about a little southern hospitality and give me some suggestions for fall.

Don't over think it dogghr! You say, "sandy." And I see beach, but I'm guessing you mean a sandy loam? Any idea of the organic matter content? CEC? I'm thinking you plant just like you would in WV. I'd guess the most limiting factor might be soil moisture - in sand. But, with a clay base 12-inches down you may be looking at an ideal situation from a drainage perspective. Soil type information would be neat to have,,,,

West of Raleigh and east of Winston Salem?

Don't over think it dogghr! You say, "sandy." And I see beach, but I'm guessing you mean a sandy loam? Any idea of the organic matter content? CEC? I'm thinking you plant just like you would in WV. I'd guess the most limiting factor might be soil moisture - in sand. But, with a clay base 12-inches down you may be looking at an ideal situation from a drainage perspective. Soil type information would be neat to have,,,,

West of Raleigh and east of Winston Salem?
Lmao. To me that sandy soil looks like a beach. Just not used to it. I'll get copy of test. CEC about 4 if I remember correctly. Phs were 5-5.5. Sandy loam prob good call. Just outside Raleigh at Apex. Don't think he got OM but based on mine I'd say very low. I'm thinking grains and clovers and maybe even grasses to get OM built. Couldn't imagine any tillage on this type of soil.

Winter rye, winter wheat, oats, crimson clover. I wouldn't mess with brassicas...deer down here don't seem to mess with them. Winter peas are a great addition for attraction.

Basically stick with the grain/clover part of the LC mix and you will be fine. With sandy soil the key will be to wait for good rain in the foreseeable future. A common struggle in southern sand is getting enough moisture for germination then nothing for a few weeks...

Cutman hit the jackpot. Moisture at the right time is the key. Remember last fall we were all dry dowm here. I got the best results in the trenches made by chisel plow. I plan to repeat that process. As said above the grains will do well (and tobacco too in NC). Durana clover should flourish with temps there a little cooler than ours here.
So a new thread coming? Foodplotting at the Beach!

That far from the coast the sand will not be a major hurdle unless they fall into the small sandhill region that is dark green.
upload_2017-5-12_10-33-12.png
A childhood friend lives and hunts in the heart of those sandhills. He loves alfalfa and has 3 different plots of it. I believe each one started with a mix of different clovers and chicory, but has slowly become an alfalfa dominated plot. I am starting on year 3 of brassicas in the coastal plain and I have eaten more than the deer. I would start with rye and clover suited to dry sandy soil, crimson is cheapest. Also depending on when they plan to hunt, dont plan cereals too early. I planted mine sept 4 becuase of rainfall and by october they were 2 ft tall.

I used to grow a lot of plots in the sandhills of central Georgia in Glascock County. I always started out by applying lime--and lots of it--as it leached through sand pretty quick (3 - 5 years). I always sprayed glyphosate and plowed the first year to get the lime incorporated. After that you could do no-till though we never did. Hard to beat cereal rye and arrowleaf clover for cool season plots in sandy soil. I always had good success with them, as well as crimson clover though it didn't last as long. In the warm season it was hard to beat a soybean/alyceclover mix as well so when the beans were mutilated the alyceclover was still there. In time, some of the better fields (ones that held moisture and the organic matter had increased) I swapped them over to Osceola Ladino clover which performed really well for up to 5 years.

Sorry I started this thread and then left town to actually visit my daughter in part. Thanks for all the response. I think I will go with the grain, crimson, and arrowleaf with my typical reds and whites thrown in. I'm hounding him to get that lime down. I agree with what said, from what I see, planting with rain in forecast has to be a plus, and then with that sandy soil, too much rain could wash seed away.
I'm going to ck into a chicken litter application, as I'm sure there are some farms near by. I know horse manure is an easy purchase, and maybe the cow manure which I'm more familiar with usuing.
It amazes me the thickness of brush and timber growth that occurs in the south. I could clear cut my whole farm and never acheive the stem count that occurs in just a few years down there. I keep you posted. Thanks again for the responses.

Cutman hit the jackpot. Moisture at the right time is the key. Remember last fall we were all dry dowm here. I got the best results in the trenches made by chisel plow. I plan to repeat that process. As said above the grains will do well (and tobacco too in NC). Durana clover should flourish with temps there a little cooler than ours here.
So a new thread coming? Foodplotting at the Beach!
Foodplotting at the Beach, I like the sound of that. Just got back from golf trip there. Not sure I can contribute much for the good southern threads on here but I will try to document. Probably wont become a flatlander, just not in my blood. Now if I could just grow lakeside 'matters!!!

I you go with manure use chicken litter--it is the best thing in the world. Pasture raised manure (cow, horses, etc.) can have unwanted weed seed in it.

I got some sandy plots like that here in South Georgia. Dry weather is brutal on a sandy plot without at least some shade during the day for me. My plots that are sandy have been doing fairly well. I planted arrow leave clover and chicory. I hope the tap root of the chicory will get to some moisture on those dry times but this summer should tell me more on how it works out.

Back