Double A Farm (NE Ohio) Updates

Weasel...Plan looks great! Creating wildlife openings was one of the 1st recommendations made to me after purchasing our property in 2011. With the thinning we just finished, we have even more now where logging decks were created. Already an explosion of browse in these areas.

Great thread!

Yes sir, it's amazing how many solutions you can create with one wildlife opening.

Everything looks good and I'm jealous of all you've done recently. If you don't mind me asking.....who put up your building that I saw you mentioned on another thread?

I appreciate that CAS. There's a local shed dealer not far from my house and I noticed a new metal building model he had out with the sheds. I stopped to get some info and they are delivered and set up by a company called H.B.O. Carports & Buildings out of North Carolina. https://www.hbocarportsinc.com They deliver and build nationwide. All you have to provide is a level pad of gravel or concrete, they do everything else. For around $3,500, I got a 24 x 24 building with two roll up garage doors. You can get any combination of man doors & windows too if you want. The building is rated to 165 mph. I can't tell you how pleased I am with it.

I got to work on soft mast opening # 2 of 3 near the kill plot just south of the back field. Once again, I found many elderberry and wild apple trees surviving under the maple & tupelo canopy.

6F2C7596-1AA1-40AA-B71B-2BE4411B93C4.jpg

A0991C71-3C04-4EF0-BCB7-5F94AD4BDA75.jpg

B133BD34-1878-490D-82D9-89501700DBD5.jpg

I ran into a few of these and here is an example of what can happen fast if you don't maintain or treat your stumps.

999CBDA9-F7CD-4FFC-8D56-AE3B19EFEF59.jpg

3E3DE30B-D776-4A5C-AE58-30D761AA374E.jpg

Seeing all these pictures with snow in them are unreal to me...we are full blown summer with days in the 90's and watering trees every couple days because we can't seem to get any kind of moisture...

Seeing all these pictures with snow in them are unreal to me...we are full blown summer with days in the 90's and watering trees every couple days because we can't seem to get any kind of moisture...

Ha, we dont even have any grass showing at my place! Got another 4" two nights ago! Im going crazy seeing all these people getting to work on their land and we are still frozen tundra.

Finally had a chance to catch up on your thread. The farm is looking great! Your thread on the old forum was one of my favorites to follow. Glad to see you carrying that passion onto this page.

I bet. It was in the teens the other night but the extended forecast looks like spring is finally here.

Finally had a chance to catch up on your thread. The farm is looking great! Your thread on the old forum was one of my favorites to follow. Glad to see you carrying that passion onto this page.

Thanks Brent, I appreciate you taking the time to follow along and for the nice comments.

Pulled a few cameras to check and move around. Deer still hitting the soybean/sunflower/sorghum plot, possibly the most active plot overall this season.

4C06D7DB-D84E-462B-B4D8-9F60D0AC2AC4.jpg

Half rack with what looks to be a healed over injury to his left eye. I might have a chance against this one LOL

A47C638D-07C3-47CF-8A7E-1A960383F046.jpg

093DD8BA-2C0B-4C7F-BEB7-66F91DA2A5A6.jpg

046FE835-6D93-400C-8DF8-CCD4B6034190.jpg

81C4D66C-B8A1-4AAF-8106-05AFEB0C782B.jpg

Starting to look and feel like spring. Got up around 70 today at home. New Banks 300 feeder came today along with my order of 6 American plum trees. My hunting buddy who helps out & hunts at my farm surprised me with a bag of Eagle Managers Mix soybeans he picked up at the Ohio Deer Expo while I was hunting hogs in Texas. Can't wait to get the new feeder set up this weekend.

And speaking of tree orders, I might as well fill you in on my plans for the 3 soft mast openings that we are clearing.

Current tree order for 2017:

9 apple trees, variety of drop times, from Turkey Creek Trees. I have a whole orchard full of Chris's healthy trees

6 kieffer pears, healthy 4+ footers from Arbor Day Foundation. Planted in past with great results. $14.98 each

6 American plum, 4+ footers from Gurney's, they were 2 for $9.99. Had good luck with landscape trees from them

4 Chinese chestnut, 3+ footers from Arbor Day Foundation. Planted in past with great results. $8.98 each

So, 3 soft mast openings. Each opening will get 3 apples, 2 pear and 2 plum. I will also include 1 chestnut in or near each opening. Add cages, landscaping fabric & screens and that will keep me plenty busy. As I have said, I have gotten away from trying to plant hundreds of seedlings and now concentrate on fewer, bigger trees that I can better care for and see results faster.

Sounds like a great bunch of trees Weasel. I have 11 more to set myself and some won't arrive until the first week in April. Good luck with your tree planting.

Sounds like a great bunch of trees Weasel. I have 11 more to set myself and some won't arrive until the first week in April. Good luck with your tree planting.

You are nearing the end of your tree planting goals, pretty happy for you! Thanks, I'm trying to take my time and do everything right this time.

Looking good Weasel, looks like you have your work cutout for you on the tree planting.

I appreciate that. I need to just take my time and do everything correct. I had a few trees I skipped screening and I got some bark damage this past winter. Easily preventable.

I got the six plums planted, screened, lanscape fabric and caged. Forgot the gravel! I cut up some logs to hold down the fabric until I come back with some gravel. I've got a few bucket fulls left back at the homestead. Forgot the stapler at home, used zip ties on the screens.

CFFC341A-5D65-4603-B738-81B7B2806762.jpg

0B479DD8-0D4E-434C-AFC3-C4065D470172.jpg

F59E3EB2-F33D-4B8D-B0CC-534AE43F2C2E.jpg

Back