Clover question

Ed Brodt

Put lime out about 4 weeks ago. Frost seeded a white and red clover mix this past weekend. Should I fertilize now or wait till early spring after germination? Also have tried to locate some 0-20-20 and no one is carrying it. What do you guys use to fertilize clover?

Today at 1:32 PM

Why are you fertilizing? Tell me why and I'll tell you when. I don't mean to ruin the suspense, but you probably should have put the P & K down when you spread the lime. But, no food plot has died because of a mistimed application of fertilizer. And, depending on if you are a democrat, a republican, or an independent, mistimed and fertilizer are two words that may or may not belong in the same sentence!

Why are you fertilizing? Tell me why and I'll tell you when. I don't mean to ruin the suspense, but you probably should have put the P & K down when you spread the lime. But, no food plot has died because of a mistimed application of fertilizer. And, depending on if you are a democrat, a republican, or an independent, mistimed and fertilizer are two words that may or may not belong in the same sentence!

Just following recommendations of soil test

If, somehow, we could tag each molecule of P & K in the fertilizer and the free stuff in the soil, you would find the fertilizer molecules would be available to the plant much later. If there were a thousand of these "fertilizers", and they were lined-up waiting for ingestion by the plant, they would, for illustration purposes, be 101,000, 101,001, 101,002....

The first hundred thousand are already in solution in the soil. That's what your soil test measured. Next year, when you again sample, the test results will be higher because the things that go on in the soil to break free potassium molecules will have had time to work on your contribution.

That didn't answer your question. Which is, do it now.

Back