Can anything compete with Johnson Grass?

Not only are there seeds but the roots that JG produces.I haven't seen any JG that you actually kill and not just set back

Not only are there seeds but the roots that JG produces.I haven't seen any JG that you actually kill and not just set back
That's my experience also. Lots of energy in those roots and shortly after the top dries from spray a new shoot comes up. I've spent quite a bit of time mowing so that seed isn't made. Also spent a day pulling heads that I couldn't mow this weekend so nothing new is added to the seed bank.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It's almost impossible to eradicate.I live in JG country,it grows in ditches by the roads. Out here it's just part of the landscape. Any field left fallow has it. I just try to control it in my food plots and forget the rest. It actually makes good cover here because the areas can get so large and thick. It doesn't hold up well in winter,though.

I mowed Johnson Grass in late Summer, then I sprayed the regrowth with glyphosate using a boom sprayer, and then I burned it in the Winter. The following Spring I sprayed regrowth with Gly using a boom sprayer. Prior to planting, Johnson Grass came back again! Determined to win the war, I sprayed Johnson Grass with Gly every time is came up all Summer, thinking I'd eventually deplete the rhizomes, and toward the end of that Summer I sprayed two applications of the grass selective, Poast Plus.

The following Spring Johnson Grass came back with a vengeance, because I'd eliminated the competition. I've since learned that Spraying Glyphosate is akin to seeding Johnson Grass. I had a friend on another forum who was a Monsanto Engineer and he worked with me to change the Glyphosate mix, thinking a slower kill might be taken further into the rhizomes... nothing worked!

Plateau kills Johnson Grass, and has a residual effect, but one Johnson Grass plant can produce 50,000 seeds that last ten years in the seedbank. When established Johnson Grass is sprayed it can come back from seed, rhizomes or a combination of the two, since seed will remain viable in the soil for ten years!

Johnson Grass can be shaded out, or it can be controlled by grazing and haying, and I've seen corn successfully grown, and also beans.

I have wondered this myself. I planted a 10' buffer strip of switchgrass down a property/fence line last year. Across the fence is is about a 10 acre pasture full of johnson grass. I don't know if I will have any luck or not.

I have done this in areas that got to tall with JG and that is I spray RU over the top and let it land on mostly the JG.This knocks it back and lets whatever is under it grow.

I mowed Johnson Grass in late Summer, then I sprayed the regrowth with glyphosate using a boom sprayer, and then I burned it in the Winter. The following Spring I sprayed regrowth with Gly using a boom sprayer. Prior to planting, Johnson Grass came back again! Determined to win the war, I sprayed Johnson Grass with Gly every time is came up all Summer, thinking I'd eventually deplete the rhizomes, and toward the end of that Summer I sprayed two applications of the grass selective, Poast Plus.

The following Spring Johnson Grass came back with a vengeance, because I'd eliminated the competition. I've since learned that Spraying Glyphosate is akin to seeding Johnson Grass. I had a friend on another forum who was a Monsanto Engineer and he worked with me to change the Glyphosate mix, thinking a slower kill might be taken further into the rhizomes... nothing worked!

Plateau kills Johnson Grass, and has a residual effect, but one Johnson Grass plant can produce 50,000 seeds that last ten years in the seedbank. When established Johnson Grass is sprayed it can come back from seed, rhizomes or a combination of the two, since seed will remain viable in the soil for ten years!

Johnson Grass can be shaded out, or it can be controlled by grazing and haying, and I've seen corn successfully grown, and also beans.

Yeah, cattle pastures is about the only place you don't see it out here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JG is a preferred forage for cattle when it's young and they will eat it if it's been allowed to get tall, but not usually preferred at that stage. We have lots of pasture that appears JG free but if you rotate the herd off for a while the stuff pops back up. Cattle are the most effective way I know to keep it in check, just have to rotate them off the plots in time to plant fall plants (which works as JG stops growing early in the fall).
Cattle works, but I would still like to find a spray that finished it off!

JG is a preferred forage for cattle when it's young and they will eat it if it's been allowed to get tall, but not usually preferred at that stage. We have lots of pasture that appears JG free but if you rotate the herd off for a while the stuff pops back up. Cattle are the most effective way I know to keep it in check, just have to rotate them off the plots in time to plant fall plants (which works as JG stops growing early in the fall).
Cattle works, but I would still like to find a spray that finished it off!

Yup. No cattle on my property. They do too much damage to my small pecan trees. So that's out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone used a wiper-style applicator for applying gly to the JG? I may try that if I can get my hands on one.

My Grandpa did this all the time when he was farming soybeans. This was back in the day before they had RR beans.

Matt

Back