Can anything compete with Johnson Grass?

PecanArcher

I struggle with Johnson grass on our property. I was wondering if anything could be planted that would grow tall and fast before the JG gets going in the summer? I was thinking buckwheat might be an option but I'm not sure. I have one particular field that's about 3 acres in size and is saturated with JG. I have a spray rig available at my disposal but was wondering if I could plant something that would squeeze it out over a few seasons while I try and establish something else. I'd love for it to be a food plot some day too. Baby steps...

Mowing and spraying is your best option... you will eventually deplete the rhizomes if you keep after it all summer and never let it get to seed stage...

Is there any herbicide that will kill JG and not any of the native grass? I have pretty much kept the JG down in my pecan orchard by mowing. But the rest of the property doesn't get mowed as frequently and it takes about 3 days for it go to seed it seems like ha!

JG dies out early in the fall, leaving time to plant a fall plot...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
JG dies our early in the fall leaving time to plant a fall plot...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I'd be interested in this if I didn't think it would be swallowed up in the summer again. Which is why I was wondering if another cover crop option might germinate and out grow the JG before it gets going. Seems to me like JG doesn't really get up and go until it starts really getting warm here.

constant battle. It has to be smothered out. I have no JG in my clover/chicory plot but right next to it I do have JG. I have some JG in my eagle beans. Came in late. Last year I had none in the beans but they canopied a lot earlier with great spring moisture. Moisture has been limited this year so not a full canopy---so now I have some JG.

You are not going to compete with johnson grass if its left to grow... in my experience. Thats why it's such a royal pain. You are correct that it takes a bit to get going in the spring, but when it does, it simply does not stop growing.
Others have herbicide options and will surely chime in, but i think it's something you have to deal with prior to planting a summer plot.

My property floods and there is no stopping the reseeding. I deal with it best i can where i have to. I will note that my 3 yr old miscanthis giganteus grass has suppressed it for my screening purposes.

Has anyone used a wiper-style applicator for applying gly to the JG? I may try that if I can get my hands on one.

Wild Blackberry briers can compete with it.:D

I predict that unless you go on a long term mission to eradicate it you will be displeased with your results.

It's a warm season grass, so yes you can just disk it hard in the fall and have a fall plot where it grows, but next year when it becomes time for the JG to start growing again, it will be back with a vengeance.

I fight it as well. I have it in a strip where cool season grasses grow and as such I can let the orchard grass go essentially dormant and then spray cleth on the JG and the seed from the orchard grass tends to reseed the area again. A wiper applicator would be the best option if you can mow it and then let it grow a week or so and then hammer it. I have concluded I will never get rid of it I can only try to contain and reduce it.

We've fought it forever. Learned to deal with it and work around it. We can't successfully grow summer crops such as millet or milo where it has a stronghold. But we can can grow roundup ready beans and spray gly several times over the summer. Better to just turn the cattle loose on it for the summer, let them keep it down, and then plant wheat/clover/oats/turnips in the fall after it dries down.

We've fought it forever. Learned to deal with it and work around it. We can't successfully grow summer crops such as millet or milo where it has a stronghold. But we can can grow roundup ready beans and spray gly several times over the summer. Better to just turn the cattle loose on it for the summer, let them keep it down, and then plant wheat/clover/oats/turnips in the fall after it dries down.

Sounds like I'll try fall plots there then. And if I get a wiper, wipe the JG through the summer to keep it down if I can.

Thanks for all the help gents.

Sounds like I'll try fall plots there then. And if I get a wiper, wipe the JG through the summer to keep it down if I can.

Thanks for all the help gents.
Wiping with glyphosate is just going to really piss it off. There are a few chemicals, such as MSMA that will smoke it without ruining the grass. It is no longer sold or labeled for residential use, but you might be able to find it at a co op covered in dust, or online.

The more legal option is Certainty, or Maverick for the crop version. Be prepared for sticker shock, but you don't need much.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I remember when I planted my filter strip....I was so proud of myself. I planted orchardgrass, clover and timothy. I had a great stand of grass that summer that was chest high! My NRCS agent came out to take a look and I think he just about crapped his pants!!! I didn't know any better - I was proud as a peacock.......turns out it was ALL Johnsongras!!!!:eek: Thus began my crusade against it. I mowed it down and sprayed a product called volunteer on it after it had about 2 weeks time to bounce back. That really knocked it back, but I still don;t have it entirely gone.:mad: I more than likely never will because I too am in a floodplain and it comes from upstream. I simply try to contain it and try to keep in in check.

If you want a summer plot your limited to RR crops in my opinion. If you want a fall only plot I would suggest still planting something there in the summer to limit the JG growth if at all possible.

Journey herbicide kills JG but they quit making it.I sprayed my JG in my CP33 with plateau.It seems to have killed it also and it made up of journey The gly might ding the NWSG alittle but it comes back.Plateau will run around 150.00 for 2 acres but you may be able to get around 50.00 off from your county USDA office.

One thing I didn't mention was that most of those have a residual crop kill and don't spray where you might want to plant crops for months.I do have a wiper that I mount on the tractor bucket.I'm not that far from you if you need to borrow but these sprays just go on NWSG plantingstring wiper.jpg

Clethodim and crop oil will kill JG if you spray it early in the season. Unfortunately, there are usually lots of seeds in the seedbed waiting to germinate, so it will be a long term problem.

Clethodim and crop oil will kill JG if you spray it early in the season. Unfortunately, there are usually lots of seeds in the seedbed waiting to germinate, so it will be a long term problem.

Oh yea, the seed bed will be stout for sure. I've been battleing it in my orchard for 3 years and have it somewhat under control and keep most areas from ever seeding out. But I've neglected this little field.

Back