Building a land leveler

Your soil looks a lot like mine in Huntingdon county. A lot of shale but no big rocks. I've got to be careful not to till anything on more than a ten percent grade or it will give a washout and all the topsoil will wash away. Notill really works well in that kind of dirt. How many acres of plots do you have?
I got 12 acre destination plot with 6 little 1/4 to 1 acre hunting plots around my big plot which is located in the middle of my property. I am adding 3 more plots which will give me an additional 12-15 more acres. My neighbors which I over see, got about 15 acres now. our goal is to try and get to 50 acres total in the near future. I use 8' GP no-till drill with the hill assit. I picked up a CAT 314 excavator this winter so plot making should be alot easier now. Ive learned deer are just like family. "If you feed them- they will come"

I got 12 acre destination plot with 6 little 1/4 to 1 acre hunting plots around my big plot which is located in the middle of my property. I am adding 3 more plots which will give me an additional 12-15 more acres. My neighbors which I over see, got about 15 acres now. our goal is to try and get to 50 acres total in the near future. I use 8' GP no-till drill with the hill assit. I picked up a CAT 314 excavator this winter so plot making should be alot easier now. Ive learned deer are just like family. "If you feed them- they will come"
I have four big fields 4-6 acres, and nine little plots, half acre average, for a total of twenty plus acres. Even with a ten foot GP drill it takes a lot of time, several days in the spring, several in the fall, so I'm thinking I'm not making any more fields. How do you get a new field started growing stuff? When I clear woods getting the first crop growing can be a challenge.

Oats or buckwheat in spring. Brassica in late summer. I coat it with lime in spring and humistart late summer. Seems to work really well.

I'm very impressed with your homemade implements. Very creative and looks well-built. I could sure use something like that on my place. We have rocks, trees and rattlesnakes.

I'm very impressed with your homemade implements. Very creative and looks well-built. I could sure use something like that on my place. We have rocks, trees and rattlesnakes.
I didn't know Arkansas had lots of rattlesnakes. Are you in the mountains or the hill country? Bill Clinton is from Arkansas right?

Well looking at improvements to plots. Mine our not smooth as I would like. Thinking of better seed contact if I get them better. Thinking of making a heavy duty 3 pt drag maybe 9’ wide with several blade maybe 6” High to take High spots and fill in low points. I built a root/rock rake which is nice but doesn’t level enough for me. I’ll post picture of it and it working. Anyone have some good input??
85ac59246d6d339b476dd681fe8f0855.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you use for the teeth on this? Are they something you bought or did you cut them all out? Its beautifully done!

I’ll dig up what I have and give it to you. How wide are you thinking? I made several.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back