Are you a crazy radical?

X-farmerdan

Here we are. In Virginia. Nearly a month to go until our archery season starts. Looks like Hurricane Irma is going to wash my food plots into the Chesapeake Bay. Again. I'm bored and frustrated. So far as deer hunting, food plots, habitat management and the equipment and toys related to the same, what's the most crazy radical thing you've done seeking to juice your results? And did it work out. If not, what did you learn. Feel free to be creative! I've got a feeling I've got time....until the lights go out in a couple days. Good luck! Best wishes! Keep your boots dry....

Oh! I know many of you have been or are about to experience the wrath of climate! How's it going?

Or, anyone and everyone, just tell what's on your mind -- hunting related, please.

Haven't seen anything saying Irma is hitting Virginia???
That strong high pressure system off the coast is going to push Irma over Florida. Then it will curl back out to sea and follow the coast up to Nags Head and Virginia Beach.
Have you seen how big the circulation is? If you put the eye over my place, it extends from Savannah GA to Buffalo NY. I'd guess there's a 75% chance We will get tropical storm conditions and 5 inches to 10 inches of rains. That's enough to flood my low lands.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...p-145pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.050f4027d8fb

Okay. Haven't seen anything with that recurve, mostly here show it coming in at Charleston. Those curves are why it is impossible for the Georgia coast to take a direct hit. Safest place in the world for ocean front property.

Yep got a good friend over there in Suffolk. And his sister lives central Fl west of Miami. And shes too crazy to leave, is sitting it out. Hope it somehow misses main hit anywhere. And we certainly have had major flood disasters in the Mountain State with 15+ in rain from hurricanes in past, so I don't ignore them. Georgia is a safe coast but MB has not taken a direct hit from a major hurricane since the early 50's.
As for radical I"m not sure if I have any stories. Best I can come up with is using Borax to add Boron to plots. And while researching easy way to add Boron which is only needed in small amounts, I discovered it is good for treating Creeping Charlie which I deal with and is good for brassica. I now add couple boxes/ac into my fert if whenever I apply.
Good luck on that storm.

Best I can come up with is using Borax to add Boron to plots. And while researching easy way to add Boron which is only needed in small amounts, I discovered it is good for treating Creeping Charlie which I deal with and is good for brassica. I now add couple boxes/ac into my fert if whenever I apply.
Good luck on that storm.

I'm trying the same thing at the same rate myself next year. I just did copper sulfate for the first time this past weekend.

Sounds like a repeat of last year. Hope it changes for you

Beginning of August we got decent rain and greened everything up good. Spigot shut off mid August and the weather folks can't even forecast out far enough to find a slim chance...it has been cooler though but the long range shows a warming trend...home 10 was horrible last year with drought but the hollow did fair. This year home 10 is doing better than the hollow as far as rain received but the plots are in really bad shape because it's a sandy type soil.
I have heavy dew every morning

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Envious...is it low ground?

Beginning of August we got decent rain and greened everything up good. Spigot shut off mid August and the weather folks can't even forecast out far enough to find a slim chance...it has been cooler though but the long range shows a warming trend...home 10 was horrible last year with drought but the hollow did fair. This year home 10 is doing better than the hollow as far as rain received but the plots are in really bad shape because it's a sandy type soil.

Envious...is it low ground?
Its rolling hills but the temps have been in the mid 40's over night. Most of my plots are in the bottoms.

I've been thinking about you guys on or near the coast. Irma is something like 300 miles wide at this point. On all accounts this one looks like she's gonna be a doosy! Yall be safe.

Back to the OP - I once tried to water my plots in a drought. Man was that a waste of time. Until that effort I never really consider just how much water there is in say a inch of rain fall. I was out trying to water a small food plot with my boom sprayer running tank after tank after tank. It did absolutely nothing for the plot.....may have actually made things worse AND frustrated me to no end. Dumping 200 gallons of water over a 1/4 acre plot was POINTLESS!

A 1" rainfall over an acre drops roughly 27,000 gallons of water! So for my small 1/4 acre plot it would have taken 135 trips of my 50 gallon sprayer to apply 1" worth of rain, or 67 trips to apply 1/2" worth of rain!!!!!!

Yep - I learned my lesson pretty quickly......

I wouldnt panic yet X-farmerdan . Hopefully, just a nice rain with little wind. Ive got my eye on it also. I'm in Fluvanna county. In my neck of the woods, the ground is a little higher than the Richmond area. I worry more about the winds with these storms.

One of my plots is under 2' of water. Anyone and everyone is welcome to come take as much water as you need. Now with the storms a week before opening day archery im pretty sure everything is going to be under water next week....

A5FPqMSJ_zCVUn_8iXlHVYoVpZqhjnyfFeanrIiJO3efQMjJzBswWvA-5iH554_YrgEckJgpBlEnbU9C9knVOSWXqCVAbB-ZNXUFcMO1EYcfYMoZg8L-W3cBtw7PzP5ZdyTZ4Agh4jBvDGb0wQctlwMV9gQtLNP2K7JbUeMYj-R1XTnz4cfeY1YUsEC5fqMxjAjaeVAB1OxMN5AmtOsbhdxBfy1pUjHs1CEIWwwES6N9MS5TOIioDsmh9LN52ROxQHqiiksrXd4upwHTKu0avw-Qbs_An2tZwLXSjCzlEd0tDTn_Rsbfrr4xN6xjaOlV9xjgvC12DCI7x_m8dUub_P83MJp-wnGakzoFP95z7KN-QABhK4c7mepXv5auwPYFZQG606GIOSOgzipHCOzfkvuReydJcW7LQSsAB9D04_vxXSJFboC-QG_W963WIK0t8xWK0AVYleRE57CY0V2C3ETSSGMWWb2-UAWgrEjfjDEKy1sm1hepQbIjnCxlVJ_kHQaf84g2qaYoOgLzwBvmxmPWxRWHIN8GCY27EwZjEMIpqJIM3j7aFJnLwmRDqme9m-3LBZcSjoz4-XPOFXRiQ91vY1zpjbL1s7OJMmCUt3nmurNtfiRt=w398-h224-no

Back