Another weed

ng270

This one shows up on my place in Kentucky a lot. What is the plant with yellow-green serrated leaves? It doesn't show very well in this pic, but it tends to be very "stemmy". (Sorry for the non-scientific term, but not sure of a better descriptor. :rolleyes: )

20160722_074654 crop.jpg

Young dolls eye? Native will be here soon to i.d. it for you, I'm sure. Could be some type of agrimony. Doesn't look quite right though.

Last edited:
You say it shows up a lot. Is that only in your food plot? What other places? How big does it get and what form does it take?

I have a hunch but would like to know more.

It is mostly in my plots, or in fallow/old field areas, at least that I've noticed. I can't recall seeing it anywhere that it gets really large. Always wispy, almost tending more towards a vine in appearance; but I don't recall seeing it climbing anything. I will try to take a closer look when I get back there in a week or so.

Lol. I should be more cerebral and inquisitive like you. I just fire off whatever I'm thinking at the time. I like wild guesses.
I've id'd hundreds and hundreds of plants on my place, but I'm still amazed by your seemingly endless plant knowledge!!!

It is mostly in my plots, or in fallow/old field areas, at least that I've noticed. I can't recall seeing it anywhere that it gets really large. Always wispy, almost tending more towards a vine in appearance; but I don't recall seeing it climbing anything. I will try to take a closer look when I get back there in a week or so.

My hunch was the same as Massey already stated - a juvenile trumpet vine. If that is the case, there should be some undisturbed area where it has been able to climb and get bigger. In a food plot or even some fallow fields the disturbance from mowing, etc. would keep it knocked back. If you could look at the sunny edge of a woods you might find a spot where it has been able to get bigger.

Then again, it may be something else. I also though it could possibly be a variety of burnet that has leaves a little different than those I have seen.

Good luck

That's trumpet vine. I have infestations of it under my pines and some grows in fallow fields. I, too, had trouble figuring out what it was, but then it flowered after growing up some of the pines.
Ive actually been trying to time the rain (4 days in a row now) to spray it.

I sprayed a patch with triclopyr 3 a couple weeks ago and it seems unaffected so far.:(

Yes, now that I've googled trumpet vine and seen the pics of blooms, I'm sure that's what it is. I do have "grown up" versions of the stuff in one of my tree plantings at a former home place foundation. That stuff is aggressive when it gets some size to it and it seems to just shrug its shoulders at gly.

Thanks for the help on the ID!

Back