Plot screen ?

Drycreek

Let me preface this by saying that I’ve been on this lease for 6 years now I think. During that time the planted pines have grown enough (and enough of them have died) that my plot is no longer as secluded as it was when I started hunting here. I intend to plant some plot screen seeds from NorthWoods Whitetails. The screen looks good on the website, supposedly loves heat and humidity, (I can give it plenty of that), and deer aren’t attracted to it. So……hopefully hogs won’t be either, but I don’t know about that. In this pic, the red dot is my stand, the yellow one is where I park, and the green areas are where I intend to plant the 15/20 foot wide screen. The ariel does not show all the dead pines, but believe me there are plenty ! Opinions ?509BF00E-A567-4CCE-943A-9D4A28CE1660.jpeg

I have used that particular brand many times for screening. Results have been good to great. Some years I might get 8-10 ft and some years up to 12 ft tall. One thing I found was to resist the urge to plant heavy. get good coverage but, not a heavy seeding. It will make for a much more sturdy screen. My method: Used a tiller to creat a good fluffy seed bed. Spread seed with hand spreader ( lightly ). Then cultipack or run over with ATV tires. Spray immediately with Simazine. I think 15 - 20 ft wide is a good screen. At about 6 inches high give it a good dose of urea.

Buckly, I appreciate your reply, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I intend to use gly to kill everything beforehand but if you think the pre emerg is necessary I can do that too. Some of the strips have been amended, but the one covering my entrance hasn’t. I figured on limeing that one at time of planting, I know it won’t do much good immediately but should at least help in the latter part of the growing season as It should grow until frost. I’ve used a plot screen before on another place, (made by Frigid Forage), and it made a good screen, but it had something in it that headed out and the hogs destroyed it after it ripened. I think it was Egyptian Wheat, but I’m not sure. Anyway, I’m excited to try this, as my deer sightings in the last couple years, especially bucks, are not what they’ve been being. Thanks again !

I think the Northwoods screen is Egyptian wheat but, now I’m not really sure. My spruce have long since taken over for screening. I always considered the Simazine cheap insurance but, I haven’t bought any of that lately either. If it does head out it would be way above any hog problem is my thought. We don’t have hogs here so I have no experience there.

I think the Northwoods screen is Egyptian wheat but, now I’m not really sure. My spruce have long since taken over for screening. I always considered the Simazine cheap insurance but, I haven’t bought any of that lately either. If it does head out it would be way above any hog problem is my thought. We don’t have hogs here so I have no experience there.
Unfortunately a hog has a better nose than a deer and they will destroy feeders to get to corn, and wallow down any crop that has a seed. They even eat my wheat and clover. I hate them and kill every one that I can but we can’t make a dent in them.

I looked at the rather poor picture on their website and didn’t see anything with a seed head but I guess I’ll find out after it matures.

.........yet

bill

There’s no way they make it through winter here. LOL. We also don’t have drought, or have poisonous snakes. All due to this being a 6 month winter area. It’s still winter here. Froze out the last couple days trying to golf. Haha.

There’s no way they make it through winter here. LOL. We also don’t have drought, or have poisonous snakes. All due to this being a 6 month winter area. It’s still winter here. Froze out the last couple days trying to golf. Haha.

I remember seeing Ted Nugent hunting Russian boars on his property in Michigan, so I imagine they will eventually make it to downtown NYC. 😂

Back