A Soil Test

I love the way you're using what mother nature has given you. I've never seen dog fennel that tall before. I'd love to utilize it for screening.

Species #21 & 22 : Yellow Wood Sorrel and Prickly Sow Thistle

The sorrel is the clover like plant on the left and the sow thistle is the spiky leafed plant on the right. The sow thistle will be browsed but not the sorrel that I’m aware of…. although both are considered to be edible plants for humans. The sorrel has a lemony zing to it. The thistle is also another deep-rooted broadleaf.

MSz85sy.jpg

Specie #23: Ground Cherry

Another edible weed in the tomatillo family……….

http://eatwild.weebly.com/blog/ground-cherries

bhVCnES.jpg

Specie #24: Blue or Purple Vervain

I’d be fine with this one growing all over if it wants to. I’ve already got a good bit growing around my property and it’s one of the more heavily browsed species as summer progresses.

H3VQsqS.jpg

Can vervain grow quite tall? It seems I've noticed a plant that grows very tall in highway medians and roadsides but I think I've also noticed that plant browsed along my trails in the woods.

1. Can you suggest a source for identifying plants? I have zero knowledge.
2. Now for the laughing contradiction. I took many berries from a pokeberry bush (somehow I identified that one) and had no "luck" getting any to grow. One area on a border to use as a screen. They have gone through 2 winters and nothing yet.

1. Can you suggest a source for identifying plants? I have zero knowledge.
2. Now for the laughing contradiction. I took many berries from a pokeberry bush (somehow I identified that one) and had no "luck" getting any to grow. One area on a border to use as a screen. They have gone through 2 winters and nothing yet.

I just use Google for identifying plants. There's several different links that show "common field weeds" or some similar search. You may need to also add in your region to the search. Once I have an idea of what it may be, then I do a specific search on that plant and compare pics and descriptions.

One of the best planter of seeds like pokeberry is birds. It's why you so often times see different plants growing along old fence rows. The birds perch on the fence and poop out the coated seeds. Give the birds something temporary to perch on across your field like a homemade "powerline". If you stretch out rope or small cable........just hang it high enough that someone doesn't blindly ride through it on a 4 wheeler or something of that nature.

Species #25: Virginia Pepperweed

Another edible weed like many of the others…….A little of this along with the wood sorrel would probably flavor up some fish real nice if any of you ever find yourself on one those survival shows. :D

V1MNx70.jpg

I just use Google for identifying plants. There's several different links that show "common field weeds" or some similar search. You may need to also add in your region to the search. Once I have an idea of what it may be, then I do a specific search on that plant and compare pics and descriptions.

One of the best planter of seeds like pokeberry is birds. It's why you so often times see different plants growing along old fence rows. The birds perch on the fence and poop out the coated seeds. Give the birds something temporary to perch on across your field like a homemade "powerline". If you stretch out rope or small cable........just hang it high enough that someone doesn't blindly ride through it on a 4 wheeler or something of that nature.
This reminds me of another post where someone put empty cages not being used to protect trees in a spot to get the birds to perch and plant mulberry trees- here all I have to do is not mow/spray for a few weeks and mulberries show up as if by magic.

This reminds me of another post where someone put empty cages not being used to protect trees in a spot to get the birds to perch and plant mulberry trees- here all I have to do is not mow/spray for a few weeks and mulberries show up as if by magic.

I’ve seen tree tops cause this effect too if you’re felling any hardwood trees nearby. Just cut some of the larger bushier branches or tops out of the trees and lay them in the field. It gives the birds something to perch on as well as protecting the new emerging seedlings below.

Thanks, Crimson n' Camo. The journey continues. I have read that pokeberry is a very hard seed and has to go through stratification. Maybe this is the year. If I get one to grow, the birds can do the rest.

The deer are hammering the mineral licks right now…..They use ‘em pretty much all spring and summer down here. Not so much during fall and winter……This is just off the edge of my field I’ve been showing. I’ve found I get better pics If I just set my camera up on mineral licks instead of on the field itself.

YfPA2ci.jpg

11528743-large.jpg

This picture is from http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2012/09/senna_or_sicklepod_is_interest.html
Am I missing something? This does not look like the plant above to me.

Dang, you know you’re right……that doesn’t look like the sicklepod in your pic. I’ve confused myself now because I’m almost positive that this was once a sicklepod patch . I haven’t let any mature for several years.…..I’ll have to see if I can figure out what this one is for sure and edit it if its wrong. Any ideas? Sicklepod looks to have a much rounder leaf than the plant in my pic.

Last edited:
Back