2016 ACCF American Chestnut

Finally made it up and checked on my chestnut trees today. My biggest is from '09 chestnuts and roughly 28-30' tall.
It had one blight canker in 2011 that has slowly healed up while a sister tree 50' away was top killed the next summer.
The smaller tree is about 7' from 2015 seed that has a canker formed this year. My large tree was about this size when it had it's first attack so I'll have to watch it.
Last is another from 2015 the was top killed this year, but re-sprouted below.

Was blight already at the site or did it come with the ACCF trees?

I just got a bunch more to plant but worry they will blight my area.

Thx

Was blight already at the site or did it come with the ACCF trees?

I just got a bunch more to plant but worry they will blight my area.

Thx
No, the blight was already here. It came through here in the 60's and did to the ozark chinkapin here what it had done to the American chestnut in the east.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

file.php

American Chestnut
new Height record: 92.3' *Vermont height record
Circumference: 4' 11"
Measured by a laser.

They are still a few out there. Maine has a 100+ ft one.

My largest is still making impressive growth. The small canker it had is mostly healed over and no sign of any others yet. Surprised it's not going to bloom again since this is year 10. I've got a sister tree to it about 20' away that was top killed by blight in 2011 or 12. It's about 10' after regrowing from where I cut it down that winter.
ade1cf72000edc2858a0786a7bf568e9.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Where or how do you get a hold of these trees? I would love to plant some because I am a tree nut but I haven't been able to figure out how

They are a bit tricky to track down with the blight and all. Some of the ACF chapters will send you the cross seeds or pure seeds with donations but its not cheap. I've had good luck with bare root trees from Cold Stream Farm nursery. Chief River Nursery also sells bareroot stock but I've never ordered from them. If you sign up to be notified when they are in stock, Sheffield Seed Company will get a limited amount of nuts in stock usually around late October.

Taken this week. Doesn't look like I'll have any blooms, but its not like I have anything to pollinate it either.
The sister tree to this one has grown back to around 15'. This one tops 30 I'm guessing.
97616e5603956165a53b666663da599f.jpg
c323a2c5c33202fbbd1a11bf81efc077.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Where or how do you get a hold of these trees? I would love to plant some because I am a tree nut but I haven't been able to figure out how
Mine are from the ACCF in VA. You can help with the harvest in the fall and carry home nuts to plant.
They did sent me 5 of which I have 3 new seedlings growing now.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

A little update. Both trees still very healthy and finally had a bur in the larger. Didn't see blooms on either this past spring though.
I'm guessing close to 40' on the biggest and 15 to 18 on its sister.
I'll come back and cut out the competition sometime before spring.
70194638b2ddcec1d8ad6092008061b7.jpg
1c0cbfca1256c80e861b1206aa1a30a8.jpg
5d701beb10a90eb2f8af31a86f2f189d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U3 using Tapatalk

A little update. Both trees still very healthy and finally had a bur in the larger. Didn't see blooms on either this past spring though.
I'm guessing close to 40' on the biggest and 15 to 18 on its sister.
I'll come back and cut out the competition sometime before spring.
70194638b2ddcec1d8ad6092008061b7.jpg
1c0cbfca1256c80e861b1206aa1a30a8.jpg
5d701beb10a90eb2f8af31a86f2f189d.jpg

Very special trees! I'm sure you know this Merle, but for others who may not, go slow when removing competition. Trees take time to handle higher wind exposure as crown competition is removed. I know guys who had beautiful persimmon trees snap in half after removing too much competition too quickly. I'd hate to see that happen to one of these beauties!

Last edited:
Very special trees! I'm sure you know this Merle, but for others who may not, go slow when removing competition. Trees take time to handle higher wind exposure as crown competition is removed. I know guys how had beautiful persimmon trees snap in half after removing too much competition too quickly. I'd hate to see that happen to one of these beauties!
I'm planning on taking out just a few black cherry and a disgusting sweet gum that are very close to them.

Back