195 Acres Southern OK

bearcat

This is very surreal. I have dreamt about this happening for almost 2 decades and I can't believe the pipe dream is coming true! We wrapped up negotiations yesterday and have our place under contract. OK is a little slower on closings, so it will probably be the end of Feb when we get closed. I'm absolutely ecstatic to get started. The 195 acres sits up above a bayou/large creek system that directly feeds into the Red River. I've got oaks, cedar, hickory, ash, pecan, bois d'arc and a few other species of trees. There a small creek that sits in a deep ravine that runs into the Bayou. There is also an 8 acre wetlands called the "The Donut". It could use a little work to turn it into a duck hunting mecca. It is part of 13k acre Mgmt association that has been in place for nearly 20 years. The area is a pretty solid waterfowl area. The previous owner went all out on blinds and feeders and will be leaving them behind. I bow hunt almost exclusively, but the blinds will be great for my friends and family. There are 3 Texas Wildlife Supply "Monster Blinds" 5x7 on 20 ft platforms and 4-5 nice protein and stand n'fill 600# feeders. I think the middle stand and feeders are too close the others. I'll probably end up moving it to a new spot on the south side of the property at some point. The feeders don't get a lot of use due to all the acorns in the area. There a few food plots that will need some work and I am looking forward to that more than anything. I look forward to habitat improvement projects and will update as we move along!one of my first projects will be thinning some cedars throughout the property and create additional wildlife openings.
I'll be heading back out in a few weeks and will post additional pics. Most of the pics below are of the open area. There is some much larger timber throughout the property.
IMG_7148.jpg IMG_6928.jpg IMG_6929.jpg IMG_6930.jpg IMG_6932.jpg 59570008593__77833544-FD81-448C-8D5E-C222B87CAC8B.JPG

Last edited:
That is great,wait till you harvest the first deer off your land,it's a whole different feeling.Of course you will be broke and not have any spare time now forever but it's a labor of love.Check with your state to see if any programs that will benefit you but I would stay away from testing for wetlands or anything like that that will permanently change the status of part of your land.Again congrats I bet you find someone that can help more being closer to same habitat as you have

Awesome, congrats! That brushy landscape looks like excellent deer habitat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a dream place, all set up and ready to go. I'd hunt it for a year or two before changing anything, there's probably a reason that the former owner had things where they are at.

The only things that are really pressing are getting my electric setup and I'd like to cut a road that goes around as much of the perimeter as possible

The only things that are really pressing are getting my electric setup and I'd like to cut a road that goes around as much of the perimeter as possible
I'm a big fan of perimeter roads wherever possible. And if there are ridges or swamps that prevent a perimeter road, a well designed road to a lookout point can help patrol real estate. Land becomes less valuable if there is no access to get to it. A good access road stays towards the outside and circles around bedding areas.

Congratulations Bearcat. It is or will be a very special place for you. It is nice to have blinds in place but permanent blinds can be a double edged sword ; they may be in the best locations on the property but do the deer know they are there? Only time will tell. Prepping a couple of new blind locations might be a good move just in case.

Wow, congrats. The wife and I have a similar story (building in the country). You're going to love every minute of it!

Congratulations Bearcat. It is or will be a very special place for you. It is nice to have blinds in place but permanent blinds can be a double edged sword ; they may be in the best locations on the property but do the deer know they are there? Only time will tell. Prepping a couple of new blind locations might be a good move just in case.

It’s been a longtime since I sat in a box blind. I’ve been hunting popups for a while. My part of TX has almost exclusively Mesquite trees. I really miss hunting from a tree, that’s one reason we looked in the area that we ended up buying!

Congrats bearcat ! It’s lots of fun to plan and execute, but like said, study before you act. I learned that lesson the hard way.

We are officially closed and proud owners of our first family ranch! Couldn’t be more excited. I’m making the first trip up this weekend as the official property owner

First trip out this weekend as a landowner. Definitely felt a little different opening up the gate this trip out.
We sat in the blind last night to see if we could catch a few hogs passing through. No luck on the pigs, but saw a few doe. Here was our view. I have a plot planned here for the future.
f1e9f3e9c4fae7c9f253f2079d5c6b4f.jpg

0aa0fafc43e5b247a1bf2dd5abf61a74.jpg

Had a good time just exploring and getting the lay of the land. There is a lot to do, but I’m excited about the never ending list of chores
12509d0eb8bb37dd423123b6441b18ab.jpg

e268da6a27576cd5984a8906859ad620.jpg

I have some area so are so thick with old cedars. I would love to get them out of there so some browse will pop up. What are your thoughts on mulching these vs dozing?
I will need a new road cut through the property for UTV access as well. I have been thinking about the mulching route for the road and clearing out the cedars. With that much mulch, I can’t imagine much would grow in these areas. But I don’t have any experience. A lot of the areas look similar to this
4a527abaf960444ecafe2b1aa98019e1.jpg

Chainsaw and controlled burn after a year or so on the cedars ? It’s hard to say exactly when you’re not on the ground, but I personally don’t like all the trash a mulcher leaves. My background is construction, so clearing, piling, and burning would be my choice if I wanted to plant there. If you just want bedding or browsing habitat, the sawing them down to burn in place later might be a good option. I’m sure you’ll get better answers than mine.

Listen to grant woods on growingdeer.tv. He talk and has a bunch of videos about converting cedars to lush Forbes and whitetail habitat.

He recommends cutting letting them lay 1 year then burn to add all the nutrients back to the ground.

I would doze them into big burn piles...easiest method...having said that it looks like you have some nice straight cedars and some of that has value. I would save several straight logs for support post for buildings. Our front porch is supported by cedar logs with many limb stubs left on to hang various things...1 of the post on our porch is the rubbing post of the 24” wide buck in my avatar I killed in 2014 which was our first year of owning our 90...

I would doze them into big burn piles...easiest method...having said that it looks like you have some nice straight cedars and some of that has value. I would save several straight logs for support post for buildings. Our front porch is supported by cedar logs with many limb stubs left on to hang various things...1 of the post on our porch is the rubbing post of the 24” wide buck in my avatar I killed in 2014 which was our first year of owning our 90...

I do have the local sawmill coming out soon to see what they want. I have very few scrubby cedars, most are similar to what are in the pic. That is pretty cool about the rubbing post
It will be a little while before we get our permanent lodging setup. I was thinking about building a lean to/patio cover for our trailer in the mean time. The cedar posts would work well for that.

How big of a wood chipper would I need to shred the cedars into mulch. I thought about creating a big mulch pile near my camp to spread around camp to keep things from being muddy. I didn’t think one from the rental place would be near big enough. I figured it would have to be a truck like the tree services use.

Back