GWR - good luck, don't let guys chase ya off.

I am in SE Ohio, and might be able to help you find him if you need a hand. I am not sure what part you are in but you can message me and maybe we can work something out. Depending on area you are hunting I could have some great tracking buddies in area as well.

If you didn't find arrow, I bet that it buried if off side shoulder. That deer is bleeding internally, probably a bit high on the shot. He is dead laying somewhere. I would suspect that you'll find small specs of blood and on other side of creek it'll open up.

Best of luck!

Cut the guy some slack - I'm sure he feels bad enough as it is. He wants closure, and he deserves it, but it may be delayed because of more important things. It may have been his first post and not a great way to make an introduction, but he turned to us for help and advice. Being judgmental and negative isn't a good first impression on our part either.

The man wants to find his deer. He realizes the fact that the yotes may beat him to it - its a reality of the situation. He realizes that there is a chance that the meat will be lost. He may not be in a situation to where he can get off work to search for it - most of us do have and need our jobs. No deer is worth loosing your job. Even a deer of a lifetime.

I hope the next post from him is a pic with his hands on that deer.

I would say it is a mistake to think this hunter does not care about the outcome. If he could have been away from work - he would have been after that buck early in the day.

If it was any of us and our big buck was still unclaimed we would have been in the woods early today if that was a possibility. In his case, he had to be at work. Many people use their vacation hunting and have to use the first 8 or 9 months of the year to build their time back up. Come January they are without days. Man says he has to work - then his word is good with me.

I was always jealous of Kubota because he had more vacation build up than any three guys I knew. No I am retired so I guess some guys are jealous of what I have. And that is ok.

It is impressive to see forum members to offer to help him track. Gosh - that is what we should be about - helping where we can.

If life was perfect DoctorBrady and Brushpile would not have any tracking dogs in their kennel.

When he asked for help - to me those are the code words that matter.

Sure be nice to see that buck photo on here in a snow covered woodlot with the man's hands on the rack & a frozen intact deer. ;)

Wayne

I would say it is a mistake to think this hunter does not care about the outcome. If he could have been away from work - he would have been after that buck early in the day.

If it was any of us and our big buck was still unclaimed we would have been in the woods early today if that was a possibility. In his case, he had to be at work. Many people use their vacation hunting and have to use the first 8 or 9 months of the year to build their time back up. Come January they are without days. Man says he has to work - then his word is good with me.

I was always jealous of Kubota because he had more vacation build up than any three guys I knew. No I am retired so I guess some guys are jealous of what I have. And that is ok.

It is impressive to see forum members to offer to help him track. Gosh - that is what we should be about - helping where we can.

If life was perfect DoctorBrady and Brushpile would not have any tracking dogs in their kennel.

When he asked for help - to me those are the code words that matter.

Sure be nice to see that buck photo on here in a snow covered woodlot with the man's hands on the rack & a frozen intact deer. ;)

Wayne

Only have 239.50 hours left Wayne but accrueing more every 2 weeks - should be sitting pretty again next fall ;)

You only have about 30 days if you use 8 hours as a work day. You think you can scrap by. :rolleyes:

You have a good deal.

Wayne

Well I started this thread last night and was interested to see how it turned out. I see it took an unexpected turn. One of the joys of the internet I guess. I quit being quick to judge someones post. Some of us write things much more eloquently that others. Very similar to not getting to worked up over an email, hard to get everything across in written word and things are often misinterpreted. In todays world I have a ton of respect for someone that doesn't blow off work, not a lot of that work ethic left from what I have seen. I didn't get the impression he wasn't interested in the meat, but I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Hope he comes back and certainly interested in how it ended.

For those of you who did help me out on this forum (apologize that my first post was not normal for a first post) I have recovered the deer. It was right in the creek. Froze over. Being dark and hard snow couldnt see him last night. The arrow was still lodged in him.

Was skeptical about joining a forum. Knowing that not finding the deer is nothing by my own fault. A perfect shot would've resulted in a quick kill. I know all this. I'm quite aware the ethically right things. Harvesting a deer is a right. I understand that. The meat is always used. Was taken out of context. Managing the property is how he got so big. Careful and ethical management. Not everyone is capable of missing work at a moments notice. I would've loved to have searched all night and all day today. Unfortunately it wasnt an option. I already have lights charging so I have more than 1.5 hours to search. Came for helpful ideas. Luckily I found a few. But now I know not to come back to a forum. Better off just going about it yourself. To the handfull of helpful members, thanks I'll keep your suggestions in mind while searching for my deer. All of the deer. Head to toe.

GWR, don't let the few bad apples scare you away. There are way more really good people on this forum than bad. We are all pullin for ya! And selfishly, if you are managing for deer big enough for the occasional 200"+ deer I want to hear more about you and your land! Good luck!

For those of you who did help me out on this forum (apologize that my first post was not normal for a first post) I have recovered the deer. It was right in the creek. Froze over. Being dark and hard snow couldnt see him last night. The arrow was still lodged in him.

OK now we need a pic! CONGRATS MAN!

"Some times when a deer is hit and not bleeding a lot in a fresh snow the blood drops will melt into snow on contact. This makes it look like the deer is not bleeding but it really is. You said that you followed deer to creek, were there tracks on opposite side of creek? Also check creek the deer might of ended up in creek. You may have only got one lung and not a pass thru which will limit the amount of blood, might only have specks."
Called that one. Congrats on finding the deer

Congratulations GWR! Glad you came back to update us. Pics? Don't give up on this type of forum. They really are full of great info.

Back