I assume you have game cameras. Thinking long term, I would reposition all of my game cameras if I don't find him today to catch him on camera. Feed areas where does hit and bedding areas. The sound of coyotes is your friend, crows and buzzards. Binoculars will help while snow is on ground to scout ahead (as in catch in bed but alive).

Get a game plan on the creek crossing before hand - don't want to lose time in woods due to creek. Stay at it. You have a weekend which is to your advantage - even though it is muzzleloader.

Wayne

Another first time poster wounds a monster, could care less about the meat, only cares about the head, nice.

G

I always keep the meat, all of the meat is used. However do to being left overnight and the risk of coyotes finding the deer ruining the meat, I'd rather find the deer and the meat be ruined than not finding the deer at all.

Another first time poster wounds a monster, could care less about the meat, only cares about the head, nice.

G
George I agree. I think every effort should be taken to find the entire deer intact. Sounds like minimal effort was put into finding the buck last night and I wouldn't be at work this morning if I did have to back out and wait. If there wasn't blood within a hundred yards or so I would be hard pressed to believe the deer was hit with even a flesh wound. Either I have been lucky or our Illinois deer bleed better than others. The closest thing I ever had to a non-bleeding deer was one I shot at a step angle and he didn't bleed for the 65 yards he ran to his death. But he was laying there dead in a puddle of blood. It is actually the buck in my avatar.

Saw tracks on opposite side of creek last night. Due to flood conditions couldn't cross. I get off work at 3pm and going straight to last track. Hopefully able to cross creel 1 way or another. Will post results tonight. Thanks for all the comments

I think if I had a 200 inch buck that might be laying dead I would be taking off to find him if it was possible.

I think it would be helpful to lay off the judgemental angle and assume the best intentions here. Not everyone is able to take a day off at the drop of a hat. As much as we like to speak as though deer hunting comes first, in reality there are other factors that can't always be thrown overboard.

To GWR: I'd say get back on the trail at the creek crossing and track it hard. Come prepared to stay on the trail until you either find it or find sign that can help determine the extent of the wound and what damage has been done so you can plot an intelligent next step. Do not assume that the coyotes got to the deer, a deer that's wounded and on the hoof can evade coyotes for a long time. Your job is to beat them to it. Bring tracking gear, flashlights, energy food, and survival gear for yourself and get on the trail. In your situation, I would be very tempted to also consider if waders would be a help in case more creek crossings are likely.

In general, I'm not a fan of this fad of "always backing out" and waiting for excessive periods of time as is currently promoted in the hunting media. Sometimes situations and conditions merit pushing, but the "prevailing wisdom" of TV celebo hunters is encouraging other hunters to always fall back and dilly-dally around.

Grouse

I think it would be helpful to lay off the judgemental angle and assume the best intentions here. Not everyone is able to take a day off at the drop of a hat. As much as we like to speak as though deer hunting comes first, in reality there are other factors that can't always be thrown overboard.

My thoughts as well but put more eloquently. Thank you.

Good luck GWR!

I am another one of those guys that is all about the meat and the rack is just a bonus. I hate to waste a deer in any way but I have and will continue to back out if I shoot 1 at last light like seems to have been the norm this fall. The reason I back out is because my property is small (80 acres) and I don't have permission to track several of the neighbors properties. I have 8 10 acres properties bordering my east side with 8 more 10 acre properties just past those and altogether I have 13 different owners bordering my 80 directly and many others very close...Unless the deer runs due north or due south I am backing out everytime if I don't see it fall / If I can't tell where the arrow hit / if I don't have good blood. I have a very good number of coyotes using our land and I understand the risk but I have been lucky so far on mortally wounded deer. I have not been so lucky on deer that took a couple days to die by my hand...

The deer below is one I shot October 2nd at last light with my bow. I have poor low light vision these past couple of years and could not tell exactly where the deer was hit. I did not hear him fall and deer were running and blowing everywhere. I got down and could not find blood or arrow and deer were still running and blowing around me so I backed out. Temp was mid 50's overnight, first gray light I found the deer not 30 yards from the hit but his direction of travel was toward the fence. I saved every bite of meat and I had a picture of a coyote that same night within 50 yards of my deer. The antlers don't mean much to me if I can't recover the meat...just the way I have always been...

Laid Back 9 bowkill.jpg

I certainly hope you find your deer. It is cold enough I think the meat will be fine if he hasn't been found by the yotes...

Last edited:
I won't lie--I hunt antlers but I'm hunting mature bucks and with maturity come big antlers but I also hunt for the meat. I love eating venison and my family eats a lot of venison so it is also about the meat.
I wish you luck finding your buck. With the extreme cold temps the meat may still be ok if the yotes haven't cleaned him up.
todd

Person asked for help. Creek turned him around and it is good he avoided water at those temperatures. Best thing I read was the poster that said the snow may have hidden some evidence of blood. I hope this story turns out good.

Dogdoc is right - temperature may help preserve the meat.

To GWR: I'd say get back on the trail at the creek crossing and track it hard. Come prepared to stay on the trail until you either find it or find sign that can help determine the extent of the wound and what damage has been done so you can plot an intelligent next step. Do not assume that the coyotes got to the deer, a deer that's wounded and on the hoof can evade coyotes for a long time. Your job is to beat them to it. Bring tracking gear, flashlights, energy food, and survival gear for yourself and get on the trail. In your situation, I would be very tempted to also consider if waders would be a help in case more creek crossings are likely.

In general, I'm not a fan of this fad of "always backing out" and waiting for excessive periods of time as is currently promoted in the hunting media. Sometimes situations and conditions merit pushing, but the "prevailing wisdom" of TV celebo hunters is encouraging other hunters to always fall back and dilly-dally around.

Grouse

I don't know if this was directed at me, but I did say if "possible". But I am going to say a few things, if you are going out to deer hunt in the afternoon a responsible hunter should have plans ahead of time if some thing like this happens or he/she should not be out hunting. Also if he knows he has a creek that a wounded deer might cross he should have a set of waders in his truck so he can cross it. He is going out at 3:00 this afternoon to look some more at best he will have an 1.5 hours of day light to look today. What ever happened to having some respect for the animals that we hunt? He made the statement that he doesn't care about the meat, if he would of made plans before he stepped into the woods to hunt yesterday he could of been back at tracking or looking for the deer in the morning. He could of recovered it this morning and the meat still would have been good. A lot of good info to help the guy find his deer.

Back in the early days of Rage, I had one open prematurely in flight and hit a double drop tine but extremely low. I ended up pushing that deer multiple times until I was finally able to get within bow range while he was bedded and put a second arrow in him. That day came with a load of highs and lows but no way was I backing out after I knew he was hurt and only going 200 yards or so each time I jumped him again. From my experience each situation is different and it's damn near impossible to sit at a computer and give meaningful advise.

Good luck to you. let us know how it turns out.

I don't have any tracking advice other than what has already been mentioned, but would like to appeal to all forum members to promote the positive comments here and suppress the negatives. We have the rest of the year to debate the ethics of how to retrieve, prepare etc. Right now lets try and assist this man in retrieving his deer.
Good luck to you as I know first hand the sick feeling of losing an animal.

Was skeptical about joining a forum. Knowing that not finding the deer is nothing by my own fault. A perfect shot would've resulted in a quick kill. I know all this. I'm quite aware the ethically right things. Harvesting a deer is a right. I understand that. The meat is always used. Was taken out of context. Managing the property is how he got so big. Careful and ethical management. Not everyone is capable of missing work at a moments notice. I would've loved to have searched all night and all day today. Unfortunately it wasnt an option. I already have lights charging so I have more than 1.5 hours to search. Came for helpful ideas. Luckily I found a few. But now I know not to come back to a forum. Better off just going about it yourself. To the handfull of helpful members, thanks I'll keep your suggestions in mind while searching for my deer. All of the deer. Head to toe.

GWR

You need to come back to this forum. One reason is to show the photo of the buck when you find it.

Personally, I would like to see his sheds or see a trail camera photo. Trust me the comments that were made - those posters want you to find your buck too. That is a fact.

I believe the careful and ethical management statement to be true.

So I am asking you to not write this forum off. The fact that you went to work means you are a good employee. I believe if you could have been off today - you would have been on the trail. The cards are not the same for everybody.

Hope you will reconsider.

Wayne

Some people can't help but criticize other people's actions and it's very unfortunate this turned you off. I'm very sorry for that GWR. I hope the members that caused you to feel this way criticize their own actions/comments and refrain from this in the future. Again, very sorry GWR.

GWR

Just like wbpdeer said

The guys on this forum are a wealth of knowledge for younger guys like me and yourself! These guys know from experience! They are going to tell you the good the bad and the ugly! Which isn't always a bad thing! Haha it's good to get many opinions on things! You can learn a lot.. and take somethings with a grain of salt

And everyone is in different situations and hunt for different reasons

Good luck on finding your buck! I hunt SE Ohio as well

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Agree. Forum has good and bad. Good luck. Hope you find deer. You are not a bad personal for wanting to find that deer whether or not the meat is still good. Hopefully with cold weather it will last a long time. I'm not the moral police.

Not blaming others for their views either.

Hope you come back, I'd love to hear how this story ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Was skeptical about joining a forum. Knowing that not finding the deer is nothing by my own fault. A perfect shot would've resulted in a quick kill. I know all this. I'm quite aware the ethically right things. Harvesting a deer is a right. I understand that. The meat is always used. Was taken out of context. Managing the property is how he got so big. Careful and ethical management. Not everyone is capable of missing work at a moments notice. I would've loved to have searched all night and all day today. Unfortunately it wasnt an option. I already have lights charging so I have more than 1.5 hours to search. Came for helpful ideas. Luckily I found a few. But now I know not to come back to a forum. Better off just going about it yourself. To the handfull of helpful members, thanks I'll keep your suggestions in mind while searching for my deer. All of the deer. Head to toe.

If you read my land thread about a hunt I had this fall you will see how I had an issue much like your own in that I hit a big deer at last light albeit with a rifle and searched for the deer the next morning after the hunt after walking a few yards the direction he went and hearing him get up in front of me. I found 2 of his beds and he was not pushed at all The deer was hit so hard the first 30 yards he plowed the ground with his face but they are tough critters. I even hired a dog tracker in from a state away and we searched until dark the following day...I guess where I am different than some is had it been a doe or a 2 yr old buck I would have done the same. I REALLY wanted that meat and the rack was nice as well. He met all my criteria and was a really good 5 yr old and would have dressed out about 30 lbs heavier than the average for our area studying all the trail cam pictures I had of him. We never found the deer and I will be sick about that from now on :(

I certainly hope you find your deer and return to the forum to share your management strategy because most of us are habitat junkies and eat that stuff up. If you will look around at some of the threads and post you will see that we have a really great group of guys and gals on here...

Good luck - If I was near you I would be right there with you trying to find it...

Last edited:

G
George, you know little or nothing about this man's ethics, effort, experience, or commitment to our sport. This comment was totally unnecessary!!! All a negative comment does is chase away good people. In this case, "Less is More".

Back